Ceremonial Start of the 36th Iditarod (03/01)

tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Sports
here are just a couple of shots that I rather liked... I'm actually proud of a lot of the shots I got considering I was working as a trail guard and was stuck with the RUDEST bunch of people imaginable (got told to F off when I told a parent to keep his child out of the trail when teams are coming. Apparently keeping his child from being eaten by 16 dogs or run over by a sled is not a priority :dunno ) that and people just jumping in front of the camera because if I was take a shot *right there* then they should too. :rolleyes

anyway, ranting aside it was a good day for shooting though the clouds kept playing with the Sun and it was tough to shoot when one second the sun is out and the very next second (or half second) it was gone again. lol oh the joys of shooting all manual!
262315179_dPezY-M.jpg
I am just so happy to finally have that classic Iditarod shot of a dog with it's tongue flying out and all that! :barb

261944195_WeTgx-M-1.jpg

Oh, and while this shot is rather average and boring, I figured I should post one of my boss (2004 Iditarod Champion) Mitch Seavey, because he's currently running in second place, and he rocks my socks (and I can say that because the Internet scares him so he'll never see this lol) - actually the guy on the sled right behind him is my boss, that's his 3rd son Dallas lol Mitch is *his* boss. Dallas ran in 2005 (he's the youngest ever to finish the race) and 2007, he likes to take a year off, he's into wrestling and is a pretty big deal in that. I know, more info than you ever wanted to know, right?
262058221_D2mrg-M.jpg

CC appreciated :)
"It's only an island if you look at it from the water."

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Very nice! #1 is a classic. Great eyes. And, yeah, nice tongue too.
    So, the "ceremonial start" is kinda like the prologue of the Tour de France, right? Just a few miles through Anchorage to get the dogs and spectators all worked up, then the real race starts outside of town. That would explain all the extra "human baggage" on the sleds.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Very nice! #1 is a classic. Great eyes. And, yeah, nice tongue too.
    So, the "ceremonial start" is kinda like the prologue of the Tour de France, right? Just a few miles through Anchorage to get the dogs and spectators all worked up, then the real race starts outside of town. That would explain all the extra "human baggage" on the sleds.

yup, that is how it works... the human baggage in the sled is what's called an Idita-rider (gotta love play on words, eh?) and they actually bid online (ala Ebay style) to ride in the sled. I think the starting bid on most sleds is something like 100 bucks (they're auctioning off the Musher's bib numbers right now on their site). Then they also normally have a 'brake sled' which is the second sled that is tied on the back of the actual racing sled. This not only adds extra weight, but if the sled is dumped and the musher thrown off, there's still someone who can stop the team from going out into the crowd or taking off into the streets!
  • ohiofalconohiofalcon Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    thumb.gif very nice shots. You were working in tough conditions. Bright sun, white snow and shadows. You did well! clap.gif
    40D, Rebel XTi
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM, EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 430EXII
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    awesome capturesthumb.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    thanks so much! It's hard to believe that the race is almost over. The leaders are into Unakleet already which means they're now just days away from Nome clap.gif

unfortunately Mitch (my boss) is not doing so hot at the moment, with the very warm weather this year the dogs are having a bit of trouble with the conditions... ne_nau.gif

anyway, thanks again! :)