Options

Motorcycle maniacs

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 28, 2004 in The Big Picture
Are all the dgrin'ers motorcycle maniacs? Or only the ones who live in CA? Or only the male? Or only the heavy posters?

Maybe motorcycles and cameras are on the same (Y) chromosome? Perhaps motorcycles are coded for in more than one place, so it is possible to have cameras without motorcycles? Shoes are cleary on the X chromosome.

When I first signed up for smugmug about a year ago, there were catagories for:
  1. cars
  2. trucks
  3. motorcycles
  4. boats
I don't remember if there were trains or airplanes, but it's a good bet.

There were no categories for:
  1. children
  2. portraits
  3. houses
  4. flowers
  5. jewelery
  6. birds
Which was my first indication that something was going on.

I've been watching fredmiranda.com, and the internal combustion thing doesn't seem to have the same presence there. Recently a winning weekly assignment shadows was won by this picture:

3086235-M.jpg

What do you think we'd get here? (Clue our weekly assignment this week is Transportation in Motion. I'd guess we might get:

1284834-M-1.jpg

or:

15198-M-1.jpg

or:

393777-M-1.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 26, 2004
    count me in as a motorcycle maniac:

2079114-M.jpg

the big posters over here all migrated over from advrider.com - all in the smugmug family. One visit there and you'll have us figured out.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    the big posters over here all migrated over from advrider.com - all in the smugmug family. One visit there and you'll have us figured out.
    So perhaps dgrin was started because of the blatant antimotorcycle bias of fredmiranda.com?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 26, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Are all the dgrin'ers motorcycle maniacs? Or only the ones who live in CA? Or only the male? Or only the heavy posters?

Maybe motorcycles and cameras are on the same (Y) chromosome? Perhaps motorcycles are coded for in more than one place, so it is possible to have cameras without motorcycles? Shoes are cleary on the X chromosome.

When I first signed up for smugmug about a year ago, there were catagories for:
    1. cars
    2. trucks
    3. motorcycles
    4. boats
    I don't remember if there were trains or airplanes, but it's a good bet.

There were no categories for:
    1. children
    2. portraits
    3. houses
    4. flowers
    5. jewelery
    6. birds
    Which was my first indication that something was going on.

I've been watching fredmiranda.com, and the internal combustion thing doesn't seem to have the same presence there. Recently a winning weekly assignment shadows was won by this picture:

3086235-M.jpg

What do you think we'd get here? (Clue our weekly assignment this week is Transportation in Motion. I'd guess we might get:

1284834-M-1.jpg

or:

15198-M-1.jpg

or:

393777-M-1.jpg
    And your point is????????Laughing.gif

Several of the posters on dgrin do ride motorcycles, don't you? But if you look at the pictures I have posted, I cannot recall one with a bike - but I have posted pictures of children, buildings, landscapes, dogs, birds, late afternoon sulight, fog, but no BIKEs. Hmmmmm Maybe I need to correct that deficiency.......Laughing.gif

I read FM too and I also like the pictures posted there - but I think this forum may be a ittle more lightheated perhaps. Anyway.I hope you stick around because I want to continue hearing more about D Margulis and his color correction methods. I have been establishing my black and white points by threshold for some time now and find that it usually, but not always, gives excellent results.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    So perhaps dgrin was started because of the blatant antimotorcycle bias of fredmiranda.com?
    perhaps.

I just checked out fredmiranda now. Seems big, easy to get lost, reviews seemed pretty "uppity". Motorcycles aside, I think the draw - hopefully one that will get bigger, seen a bunch of newbies this week - is that this forum is VERY accessible to beginners. Most of the other forums I checked out prior to Dgrin made me feel stupid and not too welcome. I spent more time posting about photography over on advrider with the likes of fish, waxy, and patch. So when Baldy made Dgrin, it was great!
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Perhaps we need [JOKE]...[/JOKE] so that things that are meant to be funny can be clearly identified by all.

I just started to notice that internal combustion and motorcycles particularly were everywere on this list.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I just started to notice that internal combustion and motorcycles particularly were everywere on this list.

I really don't know what you mean, rutt. ne_nau.gif

9363-M-3.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

Several of the posters on dgrin do ride motorcycles, don't you? But if you look at the pictures I have posted, I cannot recall one with a bike - but I have posted pictures of children, buildings, landscapes, dogs, birds, late afternoon sulight, fog, but no BIKEs. Hmmmmm Maybe I need to correct that deficiency.......Laughing.gif

I read FM too and I also like the pictures posted there - but I think this forum may be a ittle more lightheated perhaps. Anyway.I hope you stick around because I want to continue hearing more about D Margulis and his color correction methods. I have been establishing my black and white points by threshold for some time now and find that it usually, but not always, gives excellent results.
    Ah Ha I would like the court to see defense exhibit A which clearly shows Mr.
    Pathfinder's picture of a bike, a motorbike in fact, a very nice motorbike as well. Do you Deny this sir!:D Well Do you?

2671466-L.jpg

Hehehe I couldnt resist how is that bad boy anyhow Pathfinder?
    Found on thread"A Killer Lays in Wait"

Cheers,
    Tim
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    Damn, Rutt, what happened to your Cheerios this morning? headscratch.gif

First, thanks for posting my photo from the track - I take that as a compliment! :encore

Second, there are lots of message boards for photography on the web. Does each one have to justify its existence? Isn't it enough that folks like them enough to participate? ne_nau.gif

This place is brand, spanking new. The carpet's still clean, the paint not even dry. Hell, the guest rooms aren't even done yet. Hopefully, someday membership will be ten times, twenty times larger than it is today.

And there's absolutely no doubt at all, not one scintilla of doubt, that growth is dependant upon exapnding membership far beyond the initial group of guys from advrider. For example, Baldy's only just announced our presence on smugmug... and guess what? We're now getting a new influx of members, just as he had hoped.

So chill on bashing the bikers. If you like this place, be grateful to advriders for two things.

1/ They're the first group to come over here and start spilling drinks on the brand new carpet. Without the advriders, dgrin wouldn't be off to a great start. That the content so far mirrors interests of the members isn't exactly an earth shattering revelation.

2/ The advriders bring with them an unhibited, friendly and informal attitude that everyone hopes will continue to define this place. So if you really want to know how this place should justify its existence, look to the attitudes and the comraderie, the humor and the jabs, the photographs and the people who post them and I hope you'll find your answer.

Oh wait, I get it. That was a troll. Hey, our first troll! A great moment in dgrin history! Congratulations, rutt! clap.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I want to continue hearing more about D Margulis and his color correction methods. I have been establishing my black and white points by threshold for some time now and find that it usually, but not always, gives excellent results.
    Yes, usually. This the tip of the iceberg of a very interesting and deep topic. If the lightest and darkest points (measured by threshold) were always neutral, there would be a lot fewer problem images. But this isn't the only problem. What about washed out faces? Boring vegatation? Blown out skys? Converstion to B&W without loss of detai/information. Sharpening without introducing unwanted color effects?
    The list of things I have learned from Dan is very long and the list of things that he has tried to teach me but that I haven't gotten yet is even longer.

So don't worry. I haven't finished posting about color correction to this forum. I'm having a lot of fun here. Besides, I'm afraid of the FM guys. I think Dan himself needs to take them on.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    What be those things, motosickles? ne_nau.gif

3086843-M.jpg

3086995-M-1.jpg

:D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    Izzat a church built into a cave? Very interesting.

I have yet to take a really good shot of my bike. I struggle greatly with creating a composition, as opposed to finding one. I can never figure out the best place to stick the machine.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh wait, I get it. That was a troll. Hey, our first troll! A great moment in dgrin history! Congratulations, rutt! clap.gif
    Oh great, now a Jo Photog is just around the corner.... :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    The list of things I have learned from Dan is very long and the list of things that he has tried to teach me but that I haven't gotten yet is even longer.

So don't worry. I haven't finished posting about color correction to this forum. I'm having a lot of fun here. Besides, I'm afraid of the FM guys. I think Dan himself needs to take them on.
    Shakey - you caught me you rascal - Frankly my memory must be failing - How could have I forgot!! I -KNOW - That is not a motorcycle shot, but a marketing, promo, ad type of photography - Not really in the category of motorcycle picture SSShhhhhhh - don't tell Rutt, ok?lickout.gif

You are right Rutt, color correction is a big part of getting great images - I just went through Fred Miranda's gallery this morning and his pictures were glorious, but some of them must have had some manipulation. Then again, sometimes you get lucky like I did for this shot which I have shown before on a different thread but it is basically pretty straight.... ANd it is not a motorcycle either....Wicked.gif
    2971639-L-3.jpg

The gold is really the true color from the water that morning - came from the weeds on the shore above the edge of the frame

• Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Damn, Rutt, what happened to your Cheerios this morning? headscratch.gif

Not even. I didn't know that you all were so defensive about your motorcycles. Jeez, I'm not your wife. I don't care if you have a zillion motorcycles. It was just a little gentle humor (at least I thought it was funny.) Didn't all that phoney genetics make it obvous? In fact, I think the internal combustion interest here is pretty amusing.

My wife's family have the internal combustion bug in a slightly different form. Convertables. It really doesnt' matter if the care barely works as long as the top can be put down and kept that way. My brother in law has an old mustang convertable that has no top at all. He drives to work year round in New Hampshire. If it's a hurricane or something he wears a yellow Noreaster hat and slicker.

And besides, who am I to hassle anyone else about his/her obsessions or contents of garage:

3088446-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    3088446-M.jpg
    Eh, Seven, not bad. My best friend probably sold you that bike (at least indirectly).

Do any racing now or in years past?

Now I really know you shouldn't be driving from Waltham to Newton...
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Eh, Seven, not bad. My best friend probably sold you that bike (at least indirectly).

Do any racing now or in years past?

Now I really know you shouldn't be driving from Waltham to Newton...
    A couple of crits and a road race every summer. I'm over 50 but have been riding pertty seriously since I in college. I've done a lot of club riding and was always afraid to race until about 5 years ago. Now I love racing.

Your right about driving, but there are mitigating factors:
    1. How to get the dog to the office so I can run along the river with her at lunch time?
    2. How to transport the laptop without danger to it.
    3. It's not a fun ride. (Or a fun drive for that matter.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    who loves bikes ?

3092628-L.jpg
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    490257-S-2.jpg I like BMWs in paticular. 490256-S-1.jpg I like sidecar rigs too. 490255-S-1.jpg MMM Tasty!
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    2971639-L-3.jpg

The gold is really the true color from the water that morning - came from the weeds on the shore above the edge of the frame
    Is the original online somewhere? I couldn't find it. I'd like to play with this image a little, if it's OK with you.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Ah Ha I would like the court to see defense exhibit A which clearly shows Mr.
    Pathfinder's picture of a bike, a motorbike in fact, a very nice motorbike as well. Do you Deny this sir!:D Well Do you?

2671466-L.jpg

Hehehe I couldnt resist how is that bad boy anyhow Pathfinder?
    Found on thread"A Killer Lays in Wait"

Cheers,
    Tim
    Tim - I took it out today for my first real ride - The only other 650 I have ever ridden was a BMW F650GS. The Suzi is so much lighter that it seems a lot faster and easier to flick around - anyway it looks to be lot of fun in Colorado this summer - I'll be sure and shoot lots of pics. I want to use the bike to get to ghost towns and mountain passes and bring them home on digital film. Cheers, heh!?lickout.gif

• Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    It is amazing how flickable they are. I wish I could afford two set's of rims and tires for my KLR . One for city and paved twistys. And the other for dirt roads and trails.

Have fun this summer.

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    As predicted, this thread has evolved into a discussion of the fine points of motorcycle and related equipment.

Next time, I'll make it more scientific so I can publish the results. Let's see, I'll need a hypothesis, a control group, double blind experimenters...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Let's see, I'll need a hypothesis, a control group, double blind experimenters...
    Here's your hypothesis, homes...

503803-M-1.jpg

503815-M-1.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    If it is any consolation Rutt I have added Fredmirada to my fav links .:D

Rutt Said

Are all the dgrin'ers motorcycle maniacs?…Only the smart ones
    Or only the ones who live in CA?…If by CA you mean Canada then it applies to me ne_nau.gif
    Or only the male?...Lemme check... yup I fit this catagory too.
    Or only the heavy posters?” What does my body mass have to do with anything anyhow?eek7.gif

• Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    If it is any consolation Rutt I have added Fredmirada to my fav links .:D

Rutt Said

Are all the dgrin'ers motorcycle maniacs?…Only the smart ones
    Or only the ones who live in CA?…If by CA you mean Canada then it applies to me ne_nau.gif
    Or only the male?...Lemme check... yup I fit this catagory too.
    Or only the heavy posters?” What does my body mass have to do with anything anyhow?eek7.gif

Me too Shakey ....

Rutt - I also ride bicycles too, including today. But I do not ride them as much as I did 10 years ago - but I do have a 1986 Rockhopper with about 15,000 miles on it that I still commute to work on frequently. But as I get older, I do like internal combustion also..... Laughing.gif Also allows me to carry more camera gear than a bicycle allows....

• Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    A couple of crits and a road race every summer. I'm over 50 but have been riding pertty seriously since I in college. I've done a lot of club riding and was always afraid to race until about 5 years ago. Now I love racing.
    Wheelworks?

Chances are good we'll run into each other this summer at some USCF races. Although I'll be there with my camera only. I hate USCF races :puke1 . Too many Cat 3 and 4 weekend warriors that think they're the second coming of Lance Armstrong. Or at least they talk and dress like it. I get my racing in during collegiate season - less talk, more rock.
    Erik

• Options
    Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    Win38-55 wrote:
    I like sidecar rigs too
    3111976-M.jpg

or
    2604733-M.jpg

David
  • Options
    LoadedagainLoadedagain Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2004
    motorsikkle?

878317-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2004
    motorsikkle?

878317-M.jpg
    Lovely photograph. I see you are into BMW Motorcycles, huh?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2004
    My old Z9

263765-M-1.jpg