Pieces of Me

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in People
In pursuing my daily photo project, I find it challenging to come up with different compositions after a while. In an effort to break out of what I consider "safe," I've recently begun pursuing this idea of only showing pieces of me--crops you wouldn't normally use for regular portraits.

I'm enjoying the endeavor, and I may explore this further for a separate project in a gallery showing. Incorporating people other than myself, of course. :D I like the partial stories and tension these odd crops lend.

I'm also trying to get better at chasing the light and processing each image on its own merit instead of locking it into my preferred style (if I even have one at this point--I'm still too finicky!).

Thoughts on this concept and my approach to it are certainly welcomed. :thumb

259984753_T6NSH-M.jpg

261147704_hv9uy-S.jpg

262032777_oM5Zz-M.jpg

262363275_Xhhw6-500x500.jpg

Thank you for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    I really like the idea of the different ''pieces" of you. My fave of the series so far is prolly 1 & 2. One little nitpick with #1 would be; I'd like to see your chin, but keeping with the half face crop. Lovely idea!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Great shots, Kerry!... like the hues... btw, what kind of equipment do you shoot with?
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    I really like the idea of the different ''pieces" of you. My fave of the series so far is prolly 1 & 2. One little nitpick with #1 would be; I'd like to see your chin, but keeping with the half face crop. Lovely idea!

Thank you! I'll have to see what #1 looks like with the chin. Appreciate the feedback. :grin
    edited March 5, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    Great shots, Kerry!... like the hues... btw, what kind of equipment do you shoot with?

Thank you! I shoot with a Nikon D80. All the above were shot with my 50mm f/1.4 prime lens; the first was shot in my bathroom because the light is insanely bright in there, and the last three were all shot using natural light. I have an extremely basic set-up: just a few lenses, tripod, and an AlienBees B400 strobe. HTH! thumb.gif
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    interesting idea and I generally like what you've shown here (w/ #4 being my fav). However, in #1, what I found odd was the partial crop of your left eye w/ just the white showing - it may have been your intent, but it comes across some what creepy...

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    #2.... I love it! It makes me wonder if you are Italian....

Thanks for sharing these Kerry!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Some great shots Kerry! Thanks for sharing...I like the guitar shot myself.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited March 7, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    interesting idea and I generally like what you've shown here (w/ #4 being my fav). However, in #1, what I found odd was the partial crop of your left eye w/ just the white showing - it may have been your intent, but it comes across some what creepy...

cheers,

C.
    I debated about that eye crop, Colleen. I didn't find it creepy at the time, but I can certainly see what you mean. :giggle Thank you for taking the time to comment.
    #2.... I love it! It makes me wonder if you are Italian....

Thanks for sharing these Kerry!
    Thank you! I'm mostly Irish, though. Gift of blarney, you know. :D
    RBrogen wrote:
    Some great shots Kerry! Thanks for sharing...I like the guitar shot myself.
    Thank you so much! The guitar one is my favorite, too. thumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Hi Kerry!

I visit your project when I remember to, and am always blown away by your creativity and amazing use of light.

These are no exception, I just love the "cheekiness" of #1 (although agree lopping some off the right might be an improvement.

I like 2 and 3 (although must go back and see what the word of the day was for 2, 'coz I'm not sure I fully get it!) but my absolute fave is 4!!! I love the contrasting colors of the brick and the guitar, and the awesome texture you brought out in your denim. (super cute outfit btw!)

I am struck by your developing PP style, there is a tone to color shots that I am starting to recognize as your "signature". It's very retro and I LOVE IT!!!! clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited March 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hi Kerry!

I visit your project when I remember to, and am always blown away by your creativity and amazing use of light.

These are no exception, I just love the "cheekiness" of #1 (although agree lopping some off the right might be an improvement.

I like 2 and 3 (although must go back and see what the word of the day was for 2, 'coz I'm not sure I fully get it!) but my absolute fave is 4!!! I love the contrasting colors of the brick and the guitar, and the awesome texture you brought out in your denim. (super cute outfit btw!)

I am struck by your developing PP style, there is a tone to color shots that I am starting to recognize as your "signature";. It's very retro and I LOVE IT!!!! clap.gif

Wow, thank you so much Lynne! iloveyou.gif I really appreciate the critiques. And I'm intrigued you've noticed a PP style developing. I'm all over the place with my PP normally, but I'm recently in lust with the cross-processing look, which is what you're seeing. I may grow out of it, but I'm really enjoying the retro feel of it, like you mention.

Oh, and the word of the day for #2 was "garrulous." :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I love this theme! And as people have already mentioned, I'm loving your PP as well. I am a big fan of unusual crops and they really show off a lot more personality than most wider portraits.

A great idea - I totally respect those who have the commitment for a photo a day. It sounds like an extremely challenging project, and one that really pays off after months/years roll by. :D
    edited March 7, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I love this theme! And as people have already mentioned, I'm loving your PP as well. I am a big fan of unusual crops and they really show off a lot more personality than most wider portraits.

A great idea - I totally respect those who have the commitment for a photo a day. It sounds like an extremely challenging project, and one that really pays off after months/years roll by. :D
    Thank you, Schmoo! iloveyou.gif The dailies are challenging. I haven't yet decided if my take on it--shooting a photo using a word of the day Google gadget for a "theme"--is easier or harder than the pure photo-a-day or SP-a-day projects. Some days it feels harder. Others, like when my creativity is lacking, it feels easier because I have external guidance. It'll be an interesting journey regardless. :D

Only 325 days to go! :giggle
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    It's funny, the project has a lot of ups and downs - times when you'll HATE doing it... But plugging on definitely has its rewards...

Anyway, your photos and creativity are awesome! I love your crops and thing they're very intriguing... Wonderful work!
    edited March 7, 2008
    It's funny, the project has a lot of ups and downs - times when you'll HATE doing it... But plugging on definitely has its rewards...

Anyway, your photos and creativity are awesome! I love your crops and thing they're very intriguing... Wonderful work!
    Bet you're on a big "up" right now, being finished and all. :D I've already had "I HATE this" days, and I worry because it's still so early! Maybe when I hit day 100 it'll feel less daunting. :giggle

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. It really means a lot to me. iloveyou.gif