Options

Software / tool for uploading images to website?

PicGirlPicGirl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited March 13, 2008 in Finishing School
I am trying to build a new website, aside from the one I have in smugmug, that will allow people to upload their pictures to me through this new website. I am looking everywhere, and turning up nothing. Does anyone have any experience with this or recommendations? The idea is to have the pictures uploaded and I will edit/print for them. :huh

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Wouldn't it be better to get a "commerical" email with unlimited space and just have cleints email the files....that way no one could steal their images off the website......or use a ftp client for uploading..............

Are you wwanting to work with Raw files or just jpg...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    PicGirlPicGirl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Interesed in working with raw and jpg. I wouldn't want the photos uploaded to the website, but through the website. (not sure if I am making sense) Email would be an option, also thought of the ftp client - but unsure how that truely works. I don't mind saying that I am a complete novice at web site workings. I would like something that would allow the order to be placed and a file uploaded with it. I am not clear if that is a function of a ftp client.

Art Scott wrote:
    Wouldn't it be better to get a "commerical" email with unlimited space and just have cleints email the files....that way no one could steal their images off the website......or use a ftp client for uploading..............

Are you wwanting to work with Raw files or just jpg...........
  • Options
    nmhnmh Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    PicGirl wrote:
    Interesed in working with raw and jpg. I wouldn't want the photos uploaded to the website, but through the website. (not sure if I am making sense) Email would be an option, also thought of the ftp client - but unsure how that truely works. I don't mind saying that I am a complete novice at web site workings. I would like something that would allow the order to be placed and a file uploaded with it. I am not clear if that is a function of a ftp client.
    Have you considered paying a professional to help you with this? Or, if you are not going to do that, using software intended for building websites? For simple data uploading, ftp is the standard way to do it.
  • Options
    latourettelatourette Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2008
    FTP or a Form
    Hello, I am a multimedia project manager / web developper so I'm used to have deal with multiple file transfer, not only images, but video, soundfiles and other assets.

You need a file management solution, not really a web site. I agree that - by far - the fastest way to do that is simply a FTP access. Rather than using a webpage, they and you, would use what we call a FTP Client, there are some good free ones such as SmartFTP or Filezilla( That one being part of the Firefox browser family). Your clients would drop their material in folders and you would simply have to download it. You would then have a folder called say "finished" where you would drop the processed ones for the client. You would also have the ability to create private directories for your clients which they would access with their respective passwords. The other beauty of FTP is that you can upload/download multiple files (hundreds) in a click, or in a single drag and drop move.

if you don't want to use FTP, then ...

2) A slower option but which would avoid having to use client software would be a simple dynamic upload form. Made in PHP for example. It would offer much less flexibility. This option would be ok if your clients have to send you just a few images.

3) Finally there are opensource (free) content management systems , some of them offering a gallery interface, such as Copermine, but I doubt you need this... as it would be more for creating a portfolio.

Do not hesitate should you need more feedback.
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    A simple Google search for "file upload website code" or "file upload script" returns many server/PHP based solutions if one wishes to do this from a webpage (presuming you have server access, PHP, simple coding skills etc).

Stephen Marsh
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/