2nd attempt at nightscapes

slodaveslodave Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited March 10, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi!

I tried last night, but the fence I was shooting through started to really show up at higher aperture settings. Anyway, I found a few locations that were fence free. I'd like to go to downtown L.A., but I don't feel safe alone at night with camera equip. Anyway...

On an overpass that connects the two Mulholland Drives together at the 101 freeway in Los Angeles.
dsc2928smmu5.jpg
On Barham Blvd. looking towards the San Fernando Valley.
dsc2931smnn8.jpg
Looking towards Burbank Airport.
dsc2945smhf7.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Dave

On a steep learning curve...
Nikon D100, Nikon 18-135mm, Tamron 5.6 200-400mm

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    I love light trails and I think in a place as big as LA you have so much potential for things to shoot! It's hard, though, to come up with a novel composition for a cityscape. I think your first shot is closest, with the streak giving direction for the eye to travel. It still looks like a lot of fun, sitting out in the balmy CA weather with a camera. Thanks for sharing! :D
  • slodaveslodave Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I love light trails and I think in a place as big as LA you have so much potential for things to shoot! It's hard, though, to come up with a novel composition for a cityscape. I think your first shot is closest, with the streak giving direction for the eye to travel. It still looks like a lot of fun, sitting out in the balmy CA weather with a camera. Thanks for sharing! :D

Hi schmoo,

There is plenty to shoot, but I don't feel safe going to some places around L.A., especially downtown. I have some ideas for dt, some for night shots, some for day and early morning.

Tonight I brought the ISO down and let the shutter stay open longer. I even experimented with two filters - red and blue, but they were rather unexciting. I think I nailed the settings tonight and now will scout for better locations. Certain overpasses don't work, as they have tall chain link fences and they make it difficult to shoot through.

Thanks for the comments!

Dave
    Dave

edited March 7, 2008
    Two from tonight
    dsc2954smie4.jpg
    dsc2960smnm9.jpg
    Dave

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Dave, good job. Your images are improving... at least I prefer the longer light trails due to longer exposure time.

Since you are already shooting these very close to the Hollywood Bowl, may I make a location suggestion? This image was shot at a small park off of Mulholland Drive above the Hollywood Bowl. Here is a link to a google map showing the location.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited March 7, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    Dave, good job. Your images are improving... at least I prefer the longer light trails due to longer exposure time.

Since you are already shooting these very close to the Hollywood Bowl, may I make a location suggestion? This image was shot at a small park off of Mulholland Drive above the Hollywood Bowl. Here is a link to a google map showing the location.

Thanks!

Oh wow, thanks! I'll have to check it out. Your shot is fantastic! Growing up in the Santa Monica Mtns., I feel more comfortable there alone, versus dt L.A..
    Dave

• bashfotobashfoto Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    The second picture is awesome , love the way the effect is done and it looks like it's coming right at you not sure if thats becuase your using a wide lens or it really is like that but looks good nice work .

Bashfoto

edited March 8, 2008
    bashfoto wrote:
    The second picture is awesome , love the way the effect is done and it looks like it's coming right at you not sure if thats becuase your using a wide lens or it really is like that but looks good nice work .

Thank you! It's actually kind of like that. You crest a hill and then down, the bottom is under the overpass I was on.
    Dave

edited March 8, 2008
    Last one. I guess this would be the 4th attempt :D. Beach Bill, thanks for the suggestion! Here's how how mine turned out...
    dsc2993smrs7.jpg
    Dave

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    clap.gifI see you found the location. Good job. I had fun comparing your image to mine. Mine was shot almost exactly 13 months before yours and it looks like nothing has changed in the meantime.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited March 10, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    clap.gifI see you found the location. Good job. I had fun comparing your image to mine. Mine was shot almost exactly 13 months before yours and it looks like nothing has changed in the meantime.

Hi Bill, thanks!

Tomorrow I am off to Joshua Tree for the day....
    Dave

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Dave,

LA is the best place for night shots. I travel there quite often and love shooting in downtown at night. Of course, I'm 6' 5" 305lb so I rarely get hassled.

I hope you don't mind me posting a few suggested photo locations on your thread.

Los Angeles Music Center
    257141923_TSyDR-L.jpg

Downtown LA
    257141908_5GoTR-XL.jpg

The 101
    188250338-L.jpg

Echo Park
    257141933_Gzc75-XL.jpg

Downtown LA
    62621906_RLhcf-L.jpg

Downtown LA
    62638924-L.jpg

I'll be in LA at the end of the month. If you'd like some company shooting at night near or in downtown LA feel free to shoot me a PM.

-Adam
    edited March 10, 2008
    Adam, great shots. The two DT L.A. shots are what I had in mind. No way I'd go to Echo park on my own at night! I'd be great if I could tag along.
    Dave