Latest Canon USA newsletter

TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Cameras
Just got this and thought that some of you might be interested.

3 new lenses coming to the US Market, the 55-250 IS, which i'm sure will do well in the consumer market, but I still prefer my 70-300, the 200mm f/2 IS L :lust, and the 800mm f/5.6 IS USM L, the perfect portrait lens for that stalker on your Christmas list.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/emails/eosfeb08/index.html?WT.mc_id=EM0802EO01010
My Kit
Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    What's interesting is the FDA disclaimer at the bottom of the 800mm page — I understand the FCC disclaimer since most computer-based devices work in the frequency spectrum that can cause radio/tv interference, but the FDA? Strange:

A Product Report required by 21.C.F.R.§ 1002.10 has not been submitted to the United States Food and Drug Administration for this product. This product is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until the required report has been submitted.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    What's interesting is the FDA disclaimer at the bottom of the 800mm page — I understand the FCC disclaimer since most computer-based devices work in the frequency spectrum that can cause radio/tv interference, but the FDA? Strange:

A Product Report required by 21.C.F.R.§ 1002.10 has not been submitted to the United States Food and Drug Administration for this product. This product is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until the required report has been submitted.

Weird, that's a radiological product report, according to the FDA's website. Normally for medical diagnostic equipment, baggage screening x-rays, and laser products. No idea why they would need this....
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008

Maybe someone tried to sue for something stupid and it is for their simple protection, just like the put warnings on bleech, draino, sillica packets, etc. not to eat them...the whole Duh! factor comes to mind. rolleyes1.gifrofl

It is strange non-the-less
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Weird, that's a radiological product report, according to the FDA's website. Normally for medical diagnostic equipment, baggage screening x-rays, and laser products. No idea why they would need this....

If the lens can be attached to any medical imaging device or if they want to have the lens used on any medical imaging device it needs to get checked off by the FDA. Most likely this is being done so as to not cut off any avenues of possible sales (or they may already be using the cameras somewhere, I dunno). ne_nau.gif
    Travis
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    If the lens can be attached to any medical imaging device or if they want to have the lens used on any medical imaging device it needs to get checked off by the FDA. Most likely this is being done so as to not cut off any avenues of possible sales (or they may already be using the cameras somewhere, I dunno). ne_nau.gif

I was wondering about that, but I'm not quite sure how it would fit in. Especially a focal length that's so long. Now, if it has a laser based focus system, it would make perfect sense, but that would be mentioned in the spec.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    In that same newsletter they announce DPP v.3.2.clap.gif

I can't find it in the Canon download library though! ne_nau.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 6, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    In that same newsletter they announce DPP v.3.2.clap.gif

I can't find it in the Canon download library though! ne_nau.gif

Try this link. Scroll to the bottom and look for another link to "Update to DPP v3.2".

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1228&fromTips=1&WT.mc_id=EM0802EO01004
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Try this link. Scroll to the bottom and look for another link to "Update to DPP v3.2".

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1228&fromTips=1&WT.mc_id=EM0802EO01004

I should add that you need to locate your camera, choose "Drivers & Downloads" and then select your OS before you see the software selections.
    ziggy53
    edited March 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I should add that you need to locate your camera, choose "Drivers & Downloads" and then select your OS before you see the software selections.

I did all that, Ziggy. There is nothing showing up in the drivers/downloads tab. ne_nau.gif
    edited March 6, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I did all that, Ziggy. There is nothing showing up in the drivers/downloads tab. ne_nau.gif

Which Operating System did you select?
    ziggy53
    edited March 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Which Operating System did you select?

There was no option to do that.

Hmmm....I'm using FF...maybe my pop-up blocker is being naughty.

Just disabled my pop-up blocker and that didn't do the trick either. No matter what camera I choose, I end up with "no additional drivers or downloads".

Just got it using IE...even IE hesitated before expanding the list of options.

Just figured it out, Ziggy. It was AD Block Plus FF addon that was preventing the frames to expand. Never did that before. Oh...well...thanks.
  • mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    do you think that the 200 f/2 will reduce the price of the f/4 and f/2.8?
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Thanks for this ziggy53! I am downloading it now.

Tangentially, I notice that the current firmware version for the 40D is 1.0.5. Do you know if this is different to the firmware shipped with the camera? There is no reference in the manual to upgrading firmware that I can find.

Thanks
    Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 7, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Thanks for this ziggy53! I am downloading it now.

Tangentially, I notice that the current firmware version for the 40D is 1.0.5. Do you know if this is different to the firmware shipped with the camera? There is no reference in the manual to upgrading firmware that I can find.

Thanks
    Neil

The Canon 40D has been in production long enough that different firmware may have been applied during the production run.

With the camera in Manual mode (other modes will work but Manual mode is easiest for me to remember) open the Menu. Move to the third yellow "wrench" (third item in the Setup menu). The firmware version should show there.
    ziggy53
    edited March 9, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Canon 40D has been in production long enough that different firmware may have been applied during the production run.

With the camera in Manual mode (other modes will work but Manual mode is easiest for me to remember) open the Menu. Move to the third yellow "wrench" (third item in the Setup menu). The firmware version should show there.

Yep, found it, thanks ziggy! There is an update. Do you know somewhere I can read how to load it into the camera?

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Yep, found it, thanks ziggy! There is an update. Do you know somewhere I can read how to load it into the camera?

I've done one update on the 40D already but have not yet done this latest. Here are the instructions per Canon.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos40d/eos40d-firmware-e.html?cmpgn=su&Lead.LeadID=16667520&Lead.Email=elaine%40heasley.net&CollateralRequest.CollateralRequestID=6681CR1000006136
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited March 9, 2008
    Elaine wrote:

Kind of your Elaine, thanks!

Neil