Where do you Canadians buy camera gear?

mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
edited March 11, 2008 in Cameras
I've been buying most of my gear from one of "the religious stores"* in Manhattan. However, I'm moving to Toronto shortly, so that's going to be a bit more complicated.

(Ignore the fact that I'm going to be broke for a while after the move, too.:D)

* An Israeli I talked to in Potsdam called B&H "the religious store," which I thought was funny.

Comments

• ribbon_cableribbon_cable Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    mwgrice wrote:
    I've been buying most of my gear from one of "the religious stores"* in Manhattan. However, I'm moving to Toronto shortly, so that's going to be a bit more complicated.

(Ignore the fact that I'm going to be broke for a while after the move, too.:D)

* An Israeli I talked to in Potsdam called B&H "the religious store," which I thought was funny.

Not so funny when you are from out of town, have only a Saturday to spend in the city taking pictures and your 10d shutter dies and you NEED a new body... Thankfully there was J and R.
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Henrys is a fair camera chain and has good choices. There is also Vistek however I never experienced their service. The bad news; be prepared to pay more money despite prices are getting better re: cnd $ adjustments. Henrys' prices advertise a little higher but you can negociate them down as they will match the best price in town most of the time. I hope this help. Welcome to Canada --JY
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    I actually buy from the dgrin flea market!
    In Alberta we have a few choices:
    McBain - local and good
    Don's - can be good
    Vistek - I had good service here
    The Camera Store - in Calgary, haven't tried them

If you buy via the web(all of the above have on line stores) from a different province, you can avoid gst.

And, be prepared for the bizarre world of Canadian electronics pricing.

ann
  • mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

And, be prepared for the bizarre world of Canadian electronics pricing.

ann
    ya, prepared to be ripped off and paying an arm and a leg, sometimes even a knee cap
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Check out this price comparison site. There is some good information there for Canadian buyers. Sometimes it is still cheaper to buy from B&H.

http://www.photoprice.ca/
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    In Toronto also check out Aden Camera. They normally are cheaper and Henry's will meet their prices.
  • nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Where I buy
    I have been buying from B & H since the summer of 2006, however, even though I've only ordered from them 3 times, I think they are the best. I find their prices beat out others (from a Canadian perspective), fast shipping (love, love, love UPS by the way-will not use any other shipping company) and very helpful over the phone when I have had to call. Plus, with the echange being so good right now, it sweetens it even more. wings.gif

Prices, for example on a recent order I placed a few days ago:

canon 50mm 1.8 lens B&H vs 2 local large shops - $50.00 difference
    canon battery B&H vs 2 local large shops - $60.00 difference
    monfrotto tripod bag B&H vs 2 local large shops - $30.00 difference

Even with the cost of shipping and other fees, it is still considerably cheaper for me to order from B & H.
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    salazar wrote:
    Check out this price comparison site. There is some good information there for Canadian buyers. Sometimes it is still cheaper to but from B&H.

http://www.photoprice.ca/

This is he most usefull site ever, thanks so much!!!wings.gifclap:ivar
  • mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    if you order from B&H and you r worried about the shipping costs you should get a NAPP membership
    its 100$ or so and you get all this stuff plus free shipping from B&H
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Thanks everyone!
  • LTTLTT Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    A really good site is www.cameracanada.com I saved $500 at Henrys on my D80 w/ 18-200mm lens with price matching between this vendor and Vistek.

Henrys is almost always more expensive than other Canadian retailers. However, they will price match. BestBuy will price match at 110% so this is a great source for memory.

I've used B&H Photo for some items. The dollar right now is about par and with shipping I still saved money.
  • kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Good advice from above.

Regarding shipping, NEVER have you stuff shipped from the States to Canada via UPS.
    The brokerage charges are outrageous.
    USPS is the way to go.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    ifocus wrote:
    This is he most usefull site ever, thanks so much!!!wings.gifclap:ivar
    15524779-Ti.gif Known about this one for a little while, huge help in making purchases, HUGE!!

Bottom line for the OP, and it's explained nicely here, the Loonie (canadian dollar for the uninitiated) is strong enough that the two stores in question are often still the cheapest, but sometimes not by a ton, depends on the gear (40D comparatively cheap in canada wings.gif), so check this site out!!!
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    kelsow wrote:
    Good advice from above.

Regarding shipping, NEVER have you stuff shipped from the States to Canada via UPS.
    The brokerage charges are outrageous.
    USPS is the way to go.

I had heard that, but it's nice to have it confirmed.
  • PhoberPhober Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    I just got my camera from Blacks . . they have some killer sales on sometimes and their service is amazing.

http://blackphoto.com/

They have a ton of locations around Toronto.

Welcome to Canada!
  • GazrussGazruss Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Vistek
    I bought my D300 from Vistek. Very professional people. Good service. Tons of stuff on 3 floors in their downtown location, never been to their newer location in Mississauga though.

Blacks is also a great store for camera's, lenses, & accessories. They are really good on price matching other offers, and as Phober said they are everywhere....

Otherwise, I agree....Welcome to T.O.
  • IcemanUKIcemanUK Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Back in my Canada days, I ordered from Vistek. They were easy to deal with and had some good deals (but you have to look).

I never had much luck with McBain, but others I know like them.
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    kelsow wrote:
    Regarding shipping, NEVER have you stuff shipped from the States to Canada via UPS. The brokerage charges are outrageous. USPS is the way to go.

UPS shipping is faster, tracking is simpler and more accurate, and UPS is quicker than USPS to help if a package is lost en route. There're brokerage fees with UPS ground, so specify UPS "expedited." Wit that, UPS absorbs the brokerage fee.
    nightspidy wrote:
    I have been buying from B&H since the summer of 2006, however, even though I've only ordered from them 3 times, I think they are the best. I find their prices beat out others (from a Canadian perspective), fast shipping (love, love, love UPS by the way-will not use any other shipping company) and very helpful over the phone when I have had to call.

Thank you. Much appreciated!