Which crop is best?

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in People
Received some feedback on a particular shot in this thread on the crop being too tight. So- which crop do you like best?

1. Photo posted in thread
261736907_aVtvC-L.jpg

2. A wider shot
261735808_uzvoH-L.jpg

3. A third option
261736483_8NQPT-L.jpg

Open to suggestions and feedback but please do not download and create your own in respect to the model and myself.
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Which shot is best? 22 votes

Original Thread Post
54%
SamNikolaiChrisJstorksbafmdmcChrissiebeez_NLVisualXpressionsawmphotojhmjcmCuongJeff_MiloRobinivich 12 votes
A Wider Angle
36%
binghottanwmn1urbanariesRustingInPeacedmmattixajdocnhaileyjzieglermtreckaj 8 votes
The Third Option
9%
i_worship_the_KingSir Hawkins 2 votes

Comments

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    The Third Option
    I'm in favor of #3 for a variety of reasons. I think that the little bit of pavement and the leaf give more prespective to the frame. For some reason it makes her seem elongated as she follows the lines of the building and fence behind her more so than in #1. Perhaps this is achieved from the inclusion of the contrasting bit of the (barn?) door, where the face of the door ends.

As for the pictures, I consider #1 & #3 better shots all around. #2 looks slightly tilted, and the straight lines all over the place make that hard to pull off. #2 does seem to be the best exposed from chest to face to arms; 1&3 seem a tad hot on her chest.

#1 also has some sort of white particle just under her right breast that I'm not sure if that's poptart on my monitor or headscratch.gif. Either way I think it's distracting.

Overall these shots look great. I really like how she seems at home in the setting, and easily pulls off the 'little red dress.' Seems like a great outing, and I love the location you have at your disposal. The shallow depth of field makes for a nice bokeh in the background while still giving enough detail to tell whats back there. Good work clap.gif!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Original Thread Post
    i like the first shot for the crop and the slightly better expression thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    What would have happened if you had moved maybe two steps to the right in #2, but kept the same wide angle - less of the trees background? I guess what I'm saying is the the yellow and brick background is more interesting and less distracting than the trees.

#1 my eyes keep going straight to the very bright railing.

Of these three, I like the low angle you took in #3 (which straigtens the lines), the full body of #2, and expression of #1.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ajdocnhaileyajdocnhailey Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    A Wider Angle
    I voted for the wider angle, because in the other two I found the cut off knee to be distracting. JMO.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Pretty girl, pretty dress, pretty background...thumb.gif
    Unfortunately for me, the pose in this dress just isn't working out. I can only see one foot and her knees and the inside of her left leg are very distracting to me. I see this as a pants/jeans pose, but not in this lovely dress. Her upper body looks so "lady-like" and her lower body looks like it doesn't care, IMO. I would rather see #1 cropped much closer...just beyond her fingertips and below her elbow and a little off the left side. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Pretty girl, pretty dress, pretty background...thumb.gif
    Unfortunately for me, the pose in this dress just isn't working out. I can only see one foot and her knees and the inside of her left leg are very distracting to me. :D

I SO agree. I like the upper half of the picture sooo much... but the bottom half isn't my favorite.
    That squished part of her leg is just not very flattering for any girl to show- even if she is quite thin.
    I remember when I was that age, (and that size) I hated that part of my legs when kneeling, so maybe it is just me. ne_nau.gif

Other than that it all looks great. I like the processing in 3 best. She is quite pretty and you did a great job of cashing in on that in your other pics of her on the other thread.
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    I agree with this not being a flatering pose with the dress, I also agree with the two steps to the right, and with the better expression in #1,
    The yellow door with the red dress great idea.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Original Thread Post
    I found that between #1 and #2, the second had her framed best, but the background was far less pleasing, quite harsh, whereas #1 has a nice glowing background instead.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    A Wider Angle
    WOW! Thank you all for the wonderful comments and feedback. iloveyou.gif

There were some difficulties in shooting this day. It was unusually windy - there were three of us shooting from different angles so there wasn't always eye contact and shooting had to be natural light per the model.

I will take all of this in because I have already been told she is willing to shoot again whenever I want. wings.gif

Thanks go out to all of you that voted and commented!!

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    hard to tell my opinion..Looks like her leg is amputated..Dosn´t go in the book of a good photo imo. You have done many good shots, but this isnt one of em. But i would go for cropping the 3rd one..but not cut of her knee.

Just some of my critique...Grumpy kid as i am haha.

Best regards // Arvid.