Options

Glitz and Glamour (56k warning 350kb pano)

JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited March 26, 2005 in Landscapes
I'm not too happy with this pano I took tonight but I'll share anyway.
stripweb.jpg
Nate Grant: Living Legend

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    I like this pano as a composition a lot. LV is so interesting and unlikely looking! As with all night shots, especially those with a lot of artificial light, I think it needs some color correction.

18243343-O.jpg

I did this in LAB and tried to neutralize the hot yellow a bit. I think you could do a better job if have the raw images by balancing the color during raw conversion and then fine tuning with PS curves.

In my experience, we humans have great automatic white balance and don't perceive the hot cast from artificial light. In fact we perceive it as neutral unless there is somethign to compare it to. At night, we do perceive less saturation (rods vs cones) except from colored light sources. So I think it's important to neutralized night shots a bit.

Andy and I once had a go round about a night shot of his of SF Bay. I think he liked the hot cast and said it looked just that way to him when he was there, so perhaps not everyone's auto white balance works as well as mine does at night.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Here's another attempt. Same idea, but I used a lighter less doctrinare approach. I just got some of the lights neutralized and let others go to yellow. Looks better to me.

18243524-O.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Suggestion...
    JubbaKing wrote:
    I'm not too happy with this pano I took tonight but I'll share anyway.
    I think the main problem is overexposure. This has bled all the lighting and downgraded the sharpness of the images. To get the optimum result from both the cityscape and the sky, you would probably need to shoot two shots of each (one exposed for the sky and one for the cityscape) and combine them. Either that or shoot earlier in the evening when there's more light in the sky and reduce your exposure accordingly.

I'm no expert in this area, but that's what I would try...
    -Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
    - Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    The colors are fine where I have them. I don't feel the overexposure hurts it at all. Vegas is known for its bright lights so I feel this only help convey my city. I'm not happy with the picture because it's soft. I was shooting f16, iso 100, 8 sec while zoomed 200mm but had no cable release because I forgot it. This is what happens. :)

Reworked: http://s95081723.onlinehome.us/pics/stripweb2.jpg
    Nate Grant: Living Legend
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    I know you are not happy with this pano but it made me smile. I sometimes wish I could live in the big city to have a chance at shots like this. Also, the theme song for CSI immediately popped into my head. Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be the clearest or best composition to connect. Thanks for sharing.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com