First HDR using Photomatix Pro

doctorsoupdoctorsoup Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited March 19, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi all,

Here are two HDR images I created from photos taken last weekend at Bridal Veil Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. Used a D3, Nikkor 24-70, polarizer. Constructive C&C gratefully appreciated!

262702032_Vijiy-L.jpg

262701298_Uasea-L.jpg

Comments

• kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Beautiful. Very nicely done.

I personally would like to see them a bit darker but that could just be my monitor.
  • starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I agree, a little darker would be nice. But nice pictures otherwise.
  • pthorpepthorpe Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    yip ... darker would realy make the sun rays pop out . . . and put the shot over the top.
    Thoughts become things ... pick the good ones!

www.digitallifephotography.com
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Nice first attempt. Photomatix isn't an easy beast to tame. It tends to over do everything by default. As others have said, try darker (the luminosity slider of the tone mapping controls).
  • Bubba SatoriBubba Satori Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2008
    Very nice. I like the brightness just the way it is. Looking forward to doing HDR when I get my D300 with my tax refund.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Really like the water, and a nice shot overall. The tree branches seem to have a glowing look on the moss and it seems a bit much for my eyes. Like others haver said, darken it a bit and it will push it over the top. thumb.gif
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    so... photomatix does a better job at hdr than photoshop does? that's an astounding image!
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    so... photomatix does a better job at hdr than photoshop does? that's an astounding image!

Photomatix has better tone mapping tools. Well, maybe not better, just easier to use.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Very cool, I think the composition is spot on, I'm on the fence about the darkness thing, I'd have to experiment to see if I would prefer it darker.

I hope you got some good photos of the other fantastic falls along the gorge, I was there over Thanksgiving, the place is awesome! Obviously Multnomah Falls is the most popular, but all of them are pretty cool, I think Latourell Falls has to be seen in person as photographs don't really do it justice, how it just blows in the wind after that huge sheer drop...

Anyway, I like it. HDR really helps in situations like these, I've been bracketing a lot more since I paid for Photomatix (which I agree is superior to Photoshop) :D
  • doctorsoupdoctorsoup Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Resubmit first HDR images using Photomatix
    Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. I went back and reworked these two shots based on your comments...most of the tweaking was done in Photomatix with a little bit with levels and such in CS3.

267462985_nbb8J-L.jpg

267462062_zoLKd-L.jpg