Please leave a comment.

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Neil-

This is a great classic natural portrait. I really like the soft light and the very real feel of it.

The face seems a little soft compared to the details of the surroundings- painting- vase- light- even the blanket.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Neil-

This is a great classic natural portrait. I really like the soft light and the very real feel of it.

The face seems a little soft compared to the details of the surroundings- painting- vase- light- even the blanket.

Thanks for your kind comment, anwmn1. Yes, I see what you mean about the face, it might indeed be a little soft, and a few things around it are very finely detailed and seem sharper.

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    I like environmental portraits.

I agree that the face appears maybe a tad softer than the surroundings. I also want to ask about the hands. Did either of you struggle to figure out how to place the hands? Just curious as neither hand looks relaxed. I also think that the little blue labled bottle on the lamp table needs to disappear. (ok I am being just plain picky now...)

I tend to like warmth in my photographs, so this is ok with me....but others may knock your white balance choice around a bit.

What type of lighting did you use? The sofa's shadow suggests an off camera flash, but there are no tell tale signs in his face. Good job there.

Nice job...thumb.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    It is a very nice portrait and I will have to agree with both of the above posters also....my only real nit is the blue/whote bottle under and behind the incense burner....it is bright enuff it caught my first off......

Good jobclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 6, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I like environmental portraits.

I agree that the face appears maybe a tad softer than the surroundings. I also want to ask about the hands. Did either of you struggle to figure out how to place the hands? Just curious as neither hand looks relaxed. I also think that the little blue labled bottle on the lamp table needs to disappear. (ok I am being just plain picky now...)

I tend to like warmth in my photographs, so this is ok with me....but others may knock your white balance choice around a bit.

What type of lighting did you use? The sofa's shadow suggests an off camera flash, but there are no tell tale signs in his face. Good job there.

Nice job...thumb.gif

Good to get your reactions, jeffreaux2. Thanks! The pose was just there naturally as he was watching me muck around with the gear. The little blue bottle does draw the eye, but I think it is there to stay (too hard basket!). I shot a custom white balance with a white card, but like you I'm a bit suspicious of it. I had dim natural light through a window and curtains, a 300 watt video light off a reflector, and on camera flash at lowest setting (I don't like the couch shadow you mentioned, but don't know what can be done about it - possibly just lightened?) The light and the walls created a warm light.

edited March 6, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    It is a very nice portrait and I will have to agree with both of the above posters also....my only real nit is the blue/whote bottle under and behind the incense burner....it is bright enuff it caught my first off......

Good jobclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbclap.gif

Nice of you to look and comment so kindly, Art! Thanks. Yes, that bottle is sure bright enough!!

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Good to get your reactions, jeffreaux2. Thanks! The pose was just there naturally as he was watching me muck around with the gear. The little blue bottle does draw the eye, but I think it is there to stay (too hard basket!). I shot a custom white balance with a white card, but like you I'm a bit suspicious of it. I had dim natural light through a window and curtains, a 300 watt video light off a reflector, and on camera flash at lowest setting (I don't like the couch shadow you mentioned, but don't know what can be done about it - possibly just lightened?) The light and the walls created a warm light.

As far as the shadow, It really isn't a huge deal. I only noticed it because I was studying the shadows to figure out the lighting. But if you must...I have dealt with some shadows just by softening the edge so it isn't so abrupt. I do this by using the clone tool, a soft brush, about 18% opacity set to lighten. I sample from the lighter surface.

A good job with the lighting. I like the exposure. Great job keeping the lamp under control.

As far as WB. My CWBs using a white card usually end up a little cool. Yours ought to be cool if you did not take the flash into account for sure. I have given up on CWB and shoot RAW, then batch process...including WB...later. I just aim to get it close to what I want in camera. Again...my eye tends to like warmth rather than cool.
    edited March 6, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    As far as the shadow, It really isn't a huge deal. I only noticed it because I was studying the shadows to figure out the lighting. But if you must...I have dealt with some shadows just by softening the edge so it isn't so abrupt. I do this by using the clone tool, a soft brush, about 18% opacity set to lighten. I sample from the lighter surface.

A good job with the lighting. I like the exposure. Great job keeping the lamp under control.

As far as WB. My CWBs using a white card usually end up a little cool. Yours ought to be cool if you did not take the flash into account for sure. I have given up on CWB and shoot RAW, then batch process...including WB...later. I just aim to get it close to what I want in camera. Again...my eye tends to like warmth rather than cool.

Helpful comments! I'll certainly keep them in mind!

• beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    I like the shot alot all but one thing I noticed was already noted (the hands and the silly white bottle) the only othe thing I thought would help is the composition, a slight adjustment with the right side of the frame on or just over the vase this would have him looking or facing into the picture. It would also deal with the pesky bottle.
    I love the warmth of the shot it fits perfectly.
    edited March 7, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    I like the shot alot all but one thing I noticed was already noted (the hands and the silly white bottle) the only othe thing I thought would help is the composition, a slight adjustment with the right side of the frame on or just over the vase this would have him looking or facing into the picture. It would also deal with the pesky bottle.
    I love the warmth of the shot it fits perfectly.

Thanks. Will get back with another crop.

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I like this very much as an environmental portrait and you've recieved some helpful comments. I can't help but wonder though, based on the odd shadow of the vase, if there is some camera shake detracting from the sharpness of the photo. I do wish his eyes and shirt were sharper. But I do like the warmth of the shot and the context. Very nice Neil!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited March 8, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I like this very much as an environmental portrait and you've recieved some helpful comments. I can't help but wonder though, based on the odd shadow of the vase, if there is some camera shake detracting from the sharpness of the photo. I do wish his eyes and shirt were sharper. But I do like the warmth of the shot and the context. Very nice Neil!

Glad you looked in, urbanaries, and thanks for your comments! It's possible he moved a fraction just at the wrong moment. The camera was on a tripod, and I used mirror lockup and a remote shutter release, so shouldn't have been any camera shake. And I can't remember anyone sneezing just at that instant ; )