High School Volleyball...

BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
edited March 6, 2008 in Sports
I went to my yougner sisters volleyball game over the weekend and she wanted me to bring my camera and snap some pics. So I did...it was terrible lighting, half the lights were shut off and you were not allowed use flash so I had to use high ISO (3200) and open the iris all the way...so they are niosy and DOF is not what I would like it to be...also due to the lighting issue iahd to use slower shutter speeds roughly 1/15 and they were all hand held. There are so decent shots and due to the slower shutter speeds it made some cool effects with movement...but all in all I think they turned out ok considering the lighting issues.

Here they are...
DSC_4949.jpg
DSC_4974.jpg
DSC_4973.jpg
DSC_4965.jpg
DSC_4997.jpg
DSC_4993.jpg
DSC_4989.jpg
DSC_4983.jpg
DSC_4981.jpg
DSC_4958.jpg
DSC_4954.jpg
DSC_4943.jpg
DSC_4937.jpg
DSC_4936.jpg
Brandon Perron Photography
www.brandonperron.com

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Shots are not there.
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    johng wrote:
    Shots are not there.

They are now...I did a little auto level in them in photoshop and reuploaded them...sorry.
    www.brandonperron.com
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    yeah, that's some really bad lighting. Even with an appropriate lens (1.8) you'd have about 1/150 shutter speeds which is still way too slow for any kind of action. And, of course, you'd lose autofocus on the D40.

For what you had to work with I think you did very well. The biggest issue I have is all the dead space in many of these - or shooting from too far behind the player. But some of the portrait shots turned out well.

In the end, it's going to be almost impossible to get good low light action shots with your current kit, so given those limitations I think you did a very good job. thumb.gif
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    johng wrote:
    yeah, that's some really bad lighting. Even with an appropriate lens (1.8) you'd have about 1/150 shutter speeds which is still way too slow for any kind of action. And, of course, you'd lose autofocus on the D40.

For what you had to work with I think you did very well. The biggest issue I have is all the dead space in many of these - or shooting from too far behind the player. But some of the portrait shots turned out well.

In the end, it's going to be almost impossible to get good low light action shots with your current kit, so given those limitations I think you did a very good job. thumb.gif

Thank you very much...Yes very bad lighting and my d40 and the lens I was using did not help at all either. Also my first time shooting any sort of sports. I do not do alot of this sort of thing, but as many know...as soon as you get a an SLR camera everyone wants you to take photos, just like once you get a truck all of the sudden everyone needs something moved, lol :) which I am happy to do.

I see what you mean about the dead space, it was a tournment so there were lots of other people there and some places I could not stand due to no space, so it was tough to get closer to fill the frame. I will watch for that next time.

Thanks for the help and comments, glad to see they were not a complete failure. clap.gif
    www.brandonperron.com