My Second Photo Stack

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Holy Macro
I have just completed my second photo stack using Brian's tutorial. I did three shots and I aligned the shots manually before doing the stack. Upon completion I noticed some discolouration in the bottom right corner at the tip of the screw. There was no discolouration on any of the original shots.
I then did a second stack with a different screw and on the finished stack the discolouration was the full length of the screw. Once again I lined up the pictures manually.
I was wondering what is causing this. My first stack was obviously more good luck than good management as I did not align the three shots and I posted this shot on my previous thread.
http://canon400d.smugmug.com/photos/262743470_9jWmu-L.jpg
262743470_9jWmu-L.jpg
Kind regards
Bob

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I have just completed my second photo stack using Brian's tutorial. I did three shots and I aligned the shots manually before doing the stack. Upon completion I noticed some discolouration in the bottom right corner at the tip of the screw. There was no discolouration on any of the original shots.
    I then did a second stack with a different screw and on the finished stack the discolouration was the full length of the screw. Once again I lined up the pictures manually.
    I was wondering what is causing this. My first stack was obviously more good luck than good management as I did not align the three shots and I posted this shot on my previous thread.

Kind regards
    Bob

Bob - stack looks pretty good. You have a border on the RHS that needs cropping off. Perhaps the framing is a bit tight- I tend to check the fraoming on a subject by doing a quick zoom on the subject to make sure it fits on the nearest shot slice before starting.
    With regards to colour blotching. CZM seems to do slightly odd things in areas where it cannot pick up any detail change. This can be because the area is OOF or there are oof changes in shadow/light (this can happen with flash lightingbecause the angle of the flash can change to the subject) or it might be because the colour is blown.
    If the affected area is fairly small I often repair it by using the repair brush in PS to copy the same area from a slice with the area in focus back onto the stacked image.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    canon400d wrote:

Kind regards
    Bob

Hi there Bob, Brian hopefully will be able to tell you more about the stacking process and the problem you having.

The discolouration your talking about is that the slightly blue tinge,
    or something else?

I have not tried to manually stack the images myself.

I noticed with this stacked image you have less of the halo effect around the edges of the screw, than you did in the first stacked image you posted.

Bob your doing a great job at these stacks clap.gif Well Done! clap.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Bob, Brian hopefully will be able to tell you more about the stacking process and the problem you having.

or something else?

I noticed with this stacked image you have less of the halo effect around the edges of the screw, than you did in the first stacked image you posted.

Thanks Brian for the sound advice and you too Skippy for your reassuring words. I will keep plodding on and do some more.
    Kind regards to you both.
    Bob
    edited March 7, 2008
    Skippy wrote:

or something else?

Sorry Skip no it was not the blue tinge it was the discolouration of the background at the bottom right corner extending from the tip of the screw.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Sorry Skip no it was not the blue tinge it was the discolouration of the background at the bottom right corner extending from the tip of the screw.
    Regards
    Bob
    Bob thats just the border you often get because the programme actually adds an artificial border. You need to be more careful with the framing to make sure the subject is not near the edge in any of the shots.
    Brian V.
    edited March 7, 2008
    Bob thats just the border you often get because the programme actually adds an artificial border. You need to be more careful with the framing to make sure the subject is not near the edge in any of the shots.
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian I fully understand what you are saying and that should get rid of that wee problem. Oh I do appreciate everything you have done for me.
    Kind regards
    Bob