Options

Massive scam on Nikonians

GroovyGeekGroovyGeek Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited July 14, 2008 in Flea Market
All, as some of you are aware, there was a massive scam perpetrated on Nikonians over the past 2 weeks. By last count it appears to have affected 13 buyers and involves gear valued at over $10,000:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=137&topic_id=42342 &mesg_id=42342&page=

This should serve as a reminder to us all to carefully check who we are dealing with, and insist on adequate assurances that the seller (and the buyer) are who they say they are.

Nikonians has completed an investigation of the scam, the scope is trully staggering
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=137&topic_id=42540&mesg_id=42540&page=

Comments

• Options
    brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    sorry but thats just a risk you have to take when buying things from people on internet forums... save up and buy from stores or you are always going to get broken things that are passed around on the internet with each seller saying "i assume it works.. have not tested it, no refunts" rolleyes1.gif
    Nikon D50 brianhanley.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,922 moderator
    edited March 7, 2008
    sorry but thats just a risk you have to take when buying things from people on internet forums... save up and buy from stores or you are always going to get broken things that are passed around on the internet with each seller saying "i assume it works.. have not tested it, no refunts" rolleyes1.gif

Well, you might get burned, but if you buy from someone with good references the chances are pretty small. There are many people who sell regularly on Dgrin whom I would trust every bit as much as the best retailers.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    That's sad.
    The money order/bank transfer sends off warning bells for me a bit.
    Was this a new member to their forum or an established member?

I do see new or near new items of sale at various forums but generally pass and buy new from reputable dealers, if you look around, they are not that more expensive and you get the ability for returns and a full warranty, as well as a new item.

When I sell, I usually try to sell locally, so the buyer can see and test the gear right there and decide. No UPS/Money order stuff.

Geez, that's too bad for those folks that got ripped off.
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    if (price >= $150)
    seller=www.bhphotovideo.com;

I'm so sick of this java homework.. I WANT TO GO SHOOT. :gun2
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    GadgetGavGadgetGav Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    So, brianhanley, why are you posting in the Flea Market section if you think "you are always going to get broken things"..? And what's with the rolleyes1.gif ..?
    Just flame baiting..??
  • Options
    Wingin'ItWingin'It Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    That might work in LA...
    Tee Why wrote:
    That's sad.
    The money order/bank transfer sends off warning bells for me a bit.
    Was this a new member to their forum or an established member?

I do see new or near new items of sale at various forums but generally pass and buy new from reputable dealers, if you look around, they are not that more expensive and you get the ability for returns and a full warranty, as well as a new item.

When I sell, I usually try to sell locally, so the buyer can see and test the gear right there and decide. No UPS/Money order stuff.

Geez, that's too bad for those folks that got ripped off.

Selling locally might work in large suburban areas, but not so much in more rural settings. This is especially true of nice camera gear. The closest retail camera store with a decent amount of inventory is 240 miles away. The local used market is practically non-existent. I have had good experiences on e-bay and on this forum. My purchases have been from exceptional people that packed the items better than any merchant, and had good communication throughout. I spent a lot of time researching the purchase before hand. There is always a risk, I just have to try and minimize it.
    I was perfectly fine with my camera until I found this place. :evil :dunno
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I've bought several lenses and camera bodies on the Canon photo forum as well as sold several and all have been good smooth transactions.

But, just like any other forum, there are the ocassional poster that just signed up and wants to sell a high dollar item like a 300 f/2.8. Sometimes a flag pops up when they don't post where they live. And some are legitimate sellers and some aren't.

I like to deal with the folks that have a lot of previous posts and are established forum members...just like me. :D

Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Looks like Don Parsons is getting some justice served, looking at the last post in this thread
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Looks like Don Parsons is getting some justice served, looking at the last post in this thread

Nikonians wrote:
    28Apr08

A search warrant is executed at the house of Mr. Parsons.

08May08

Mr. Parsons is arrested.

22May08

As part of a plea bargain agreement Mr. Parsons pleads guilty to a felony count of scheming to defraud in the amount of $41,805.85 USD. Sentencing is scheduled for 15Jul08.

w000p there's a special cell block at Rikers I hope, just for him.
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    w000p there's a special cell block at Rikers I hope, just for him.

Tomorrow is sentencing day. *crosses fingers*
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain