What is a 'Mirror Lens?'

i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Cameras
I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
~Herbert Keppler

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    A mirror lens is a telephoto built like a Schmidt-Cassegrain telecope with two mirrors which fold the optic path back on itself. They tend lighter weight, cheaper, slower and relatively low contrast compared to conventional refracting lenses. The other noticably oddity about mirror lenes is that out of focus highlights take on a donut shape due to the hole cut in the primary by the secondary mirror.
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    forget about them if you care about image quality or want to take images of anything that moves.

they ARE cheap though, but remember that you almost always get what you pay for with glass. Mirror or reflector lenses are what tend to prove the rule
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    The bokeh is the most noticeable defect w/ these lens's.

Take a look at the shot here. Perfect example of SC lens's:

http://lh3.google.com/_1eaTHuFsXsY/RwVsUskQeDI/AAAAAAAACcI/PLkZqGoWPZc/s800/IMGP0505.jpg
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 7, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    A mirror lens is a telephoto built like a Schmidt-Cassegrain telecope with two mirrors which fold the optic path back on itself. They tend lighter weight, cheaper, slower and relatively low contrast compared to conventional refracting lenses. The other noticably oddity about mirror lenes is that out of focus highlights take on a donut shape due to the hole cut in the primary by the secondary mirror.

15524779-Ti.gif Absolutely correct! I have a 500mm, f8 "cat" (short for "catadioptric") that is really an f11, so worthless in poor light. The best light for that lens is extremely contrasty, and then you must use RAW to capture because you must later expand the tones to make the image look natural.

The "donut" bokeh used to be considered acceptable, but these days you won't find many takers.

The lens is also fairly fragile because of how the mirror is mounted, so you must not treat it poorly.

The only time the lens has any merit is when you want to travel extremely light, like backpacking, and you need the telephoto properties but cannot afford the weight of a high-speed refractor. In perfect light, with very careful post-processing and the right subject matter you can obtain acceptable results for small image sizes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I was shopping for a Sigma 400-500mm in the $1000 range for a birthday present and came across these in the searches. Makes me wonder if they would be any use for something like star/moon photography with one of the 2x multipliers for a 1000 or 1200mm equivalent.

Thanks for the information! thumb.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    reflex telephoto
    I would be suspect of a TC / mirror combo for moon shots-would be very difficult to focus manually and there is no way to stop down further.

I have a Sigma 600mm /f8.0 "macro" (close focusses)

As Ziggy points out there are some limited use- I keep one in my back pack for snakes and spiders etc that I don't want to get too close too.

Its also sometimes useful for architectural detail shots.For acceptable contrast though you have to add lots of extra shading.

I would prefer a 600mm/f4.0, but for the money it does not take up much space in the pack,its light and reasonably sharp with tripod ,MLU and cable release.

So if you have some specific uses ,then one may be of value.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I was shopping for a Sigma 400-500mm in the $1000 range for a birthday present and came across these in the searches. Makes me wonder if they would be any use for something like star/moon photography with one of the 2x multipliers for a 1000 or 1200mm equivalent.

Thanks for the information! thumb.gif

Ever think about a canon 400mm 5.6? They are only $150 more then what you stated and would definently work really well :D
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Only if it comes with a Nikon converter rolleyes1.gif

Thank you, though.

~Herbert Keppler
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    There have been a few hints already at the best, well, one of the least limited uses for these lenses, pointing them at the sky.

Bokeh isn't an issue with stars/the moon, everything up there is at infinity, and while everything does move, it doesn't move fast enough for f/8(t/11) to be hugely limiting. Manual focus is not an issue, see above "everything is at infinity", lack of an aperture is also not much of an issue (you're only really shooting wide open with an f/8 lens anyhow).

Think of it this way, mirror (reflex) lenses are essentially little astronomical telescopes adapted for cameras. Astronomers don't worry about bokeh or contrast a whole lot, so the weight and price saving, along with the long focal lengths, work out well. That said, I'm sure the optical quality of reflex lenses are already abysmal by astro standards (these guys don't really care about most of the optical quality we terrestrial photographers need, just resolution)

And when it boils down to it, you can get a decent reflector telescope and a T-mount and adapter to use it for not a lot more than your average "mirror lens", and you won't really lose anything in terms of features.

So why not get something that can get results as good as or better than a purpose built lens, and still have a nice telescope when you're done?

:Edit: Hehe, the only answer to the above question is portability, which has been mentioned :D
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    Think of it this way, mirror (reflex) lenses are essentially little astronomical telescopes adapted for cameras. Astronomers don't worry about bokeh or contrast a whole lot, so the weight and price saving, along with the long focal lengths, work out well. That said, I'm sure the optical quality of reflex lenses are already abysmal by astro standards (these guys don't really care about most of the optical quality we terrestrial photographers need, just resolution)

Those guys tend to use apertures which are imposible or astronomically expensive to produce in any other configuration than a cassegrain, we're talking more than 8 inches here. So question becomes low(ish) contrast or none at all.

I've tried using my little maksutov-cassegrain as a bird lens, but although it has quite a reach (1500 mm), it's too dim to focus accurately manually (f/12). And because focusing is slow, anything that moves is a tad difficult to shoot.

It's good for it was made for though, a telescope for looking at the night sky :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Those guys tend to use apertures which are imposible or astronomically expensive to produce in any other configuration than a cassegrain, we're talking more than 8 inches here. So question becomes low(ish) contrast or none at all.
    Quite true, though I didn't really mean professional, dedicated observatories, more serious amateur astrophotographers. It's certainly true of the apertures though, there comes a point where glass just can't cut it anymore, and so we go to mirrors. In terms of F/Ratios, most astro scopes are pretty conservative in camera terms, though of course there are some that are actually fairly large aperture, like dobsonian newtonians (that sounds so goofy) Think 1200mm f5.6, 800 f4, that kind of thing. But then, those aren't much use for photography...
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    Quite true, though I didn't really mean professional, dedicated observatories, more serious amateur astrophotographers. It's certainly true of the apertures though, there comes a point where glass just can't cut it anymore, and so we go to mirrors. In terms of F/Ratios, most astro scopes are pretty conservative in camera terms, though of course there are some that are actually fairly large aperture, like dobsonian newtonians (that sounds so goofy) Think 1200mm f5.6, 800 f4, that kind of thing. But then, those aren't much use for photography...

From what I've seen, serious amateur astrophotographers use both the smaller refractors (including general photography lenses) and the larger reflecting telescopes out to 16" and, rarely, even larger. These are in the f/10 general direction because of the configuration, but you can readily get what's called a focal reducer (a teleconverter with a multiplier of less than 1), that push the f-ratios to 6.7, or even 3.3.

Celestron even made a lens assembly for some of it's S-Cs that converted it to Schmidt camera, where the camera is mounted where the secondary mirror should be. Those could then make for something of a 500/2 for wide-fields. Granted, these are properly rare and discontinued ages ago.

And of course, there's simply no way of lugging a huge reflector around in the woods looking for birds. So again they stay as telescopes :D

In the other end of the scale I also know of a professional sky survey that used a cluster of 6 or 8 Canon 200/1.8 L lenses, because they were 'readily available and cheap'. rolleyes1.gif

Fast newtons are also huge clunkers. When it comes to actually shooting with something fast and portable, there's nothing in the telescope market that can come close to the 500/4 and 400/2.8 kind of figures photographers use every day.

Cheap manual focus mirror lenses aren't good for either use :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    500mm f/8
    Handheld on a gloomy windy day, from several blocks away in Indianapolis Indiana, standing in front of Roberts Camera. I didnt even know thay had a observation room at the top ot the Monument; here you can see the man inside it! Sony lens.DSC00688.jpg
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.