Options

Light balance

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Technique
Aperture controls the flash while speed controls the ambiance.

This photo - which is not in fact, as sharp as I would like it to be - is just the balance between (I was taught to use "between" when comparing two things and "among" when comparing many items) the outside and the inside.

262925679_g5ySJ-L.jpg
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    It looks to me like your exposure is just right - good job!

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    It looks to me like your exposure is just right - good job!

- Mike

Hi Waters ! How are you ? :D
    Yes. I have done nicely this time. clap.gif
    thumb.gif

I had 3 lights: two flashes and the Sun.
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Actually, aperture controls both flash and ambient: the smaller the hole the less light that can come through, no matter what type it is. Shutter speed doesn't control the light from the flash since the flash is so fast it can "sneak into" a typical shutter duration.

It seems the subject of your photo is the guy working. Why not point one of your flashes at him so he stands out better in the cluttered interior? In fact, why not experiment with taking down the ambient exposure a bit more and put a controlled light on him? Not telling you what to do since it's your photo. Just thinking how I might approach it.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    Actually, aperture controls both flash and ambient: the smaller the hole the less light that can come through, no matter what type it is. Shutter speed doesn't control the light from the flash since the flash is so fast it can "sneak into" a typical shutter duration.

It seems the subject of your photo is the guy working. Why not point one of your flashes at him so he stands out better in the cluttered interior? In fact, why not experiment with taking down the ambient exposure a bit more and put a controlled light on him? Not telling you what to do since it's your photo. Just thinking how I might approach it.

:Dbowdown.gif
    It's a good approach that one of yours... It is an option indeed.

I could even use a gridded snoot, which I have not, yet ! mwink.gif

262689263_ejsWr-L.jpg . 262787712_nJZAZ-L.jpg