New lens?

eccentriclenseccentriclens Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Holy Macro
I've never shot in macro before so on that note what would be a good beginner lens to learn or just a good lens in general for that type of photography. I never really thought about that type of shooting until seeing the amazing photos in this forum.

thanks

stan

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I've never shot in macro before so on that note what would be a good beginner lens to learn or just a good lens in general for that type of photography. I never really thought about that type of shooting until seeing the amazing photos in this forum.

thanks

stan

I think that to start out/learn the ropes the Kenko Extension Tubes are great. For just over $100 you can get the full 3-tube set and learn about the incredibly thin DOF, lighting, and other gotchas of macro shooting.

Then when you feel good about it, get the MP-E 65mm Macro from canon (~$1k)

The Kenko tubes won't give you the ultra macro a lot of folks here are posting, but is a great way to get started (IMHO) because for so little money it turns ALL your lenses into macro/closeup lenses.
    ~ Lisa
  • eccentriclenseccentriclens Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I forgot to add I have a nikon d40x
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I forgot to add I have a nikon d40x

Then you have two very good options:

1. The extension tubes,

2. The Nikon 105 mm macro lens (called micro by Nikon). Attached is the PZ review link:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Nikkor%20/%20Nikon%20Lens%20Tests/224-micro-nikkor-af-s-105mm-f28g-if-ed-vr-review--test-report

Incidentally, the Nikon 105 mm is one of the best macros made for any camera - check the MTF charts on the "Analysis" page. Excellent lens - it tests even higher than my Canon 100 f/2.8 for resolution.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900