Options

Vista help

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I been sadly using Vista on my Sony laptop and while I am connected to the internet at work and at home by wireless, my icon shows that I am disconnected even though I am connected.

Here is a screen cap of what it looks like.

262998522_oMZet-XL.jpg

Is there anything that I can do to rectify it? TO make it look like it is supposed to be... linked computers with a globe on it.

Also it is painfully long to get into my network connections folder even if I do not run anything in the background.

It is a shame that Sony doesn't offer further support for XP for this model that I currently use.
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    If you're referring to the display monitors with the red X, check out this MS knowledge base article, which explains the different possible states.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    I know that shows when there is no connection. But I am asking why it is showing when I have a connection to the internet.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    I believe the local network adapter must be physically connected to an ethernet jack/router with an UTP ethernet cable in order for that icon to change. You are connected to the web wirelessly so this connection is handled through your laptop's built-in wireless network adapter and not the local network adapter. I hope this makes sense to you.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    Yeah.. I guess so.

But wouldn't that icon change to a different looking thing?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    When it's physically connected, you'd see the speed and status when place the cursor over that icon. The icon also blinks when there's network traffic (see attached).

Cuong
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    What yukio was showing and I believe trying to describe to you is a physical network connection. Wireless connections are challenging to debug remotely but you should normally see something like this:

263052161_6hq8N-M.jpg

The bars to the right of the name of the wireless network is an indication as to signal strength.

You really have to go to the Network Connections window to attempt to figure out what is wrong. It really does not take that long, I have a 1.7GHz Dual-Core Pentium laptop from Toshiba nothing real powerful and it takes me a couple of seconds to pull it up. Go to the Network and Sharing Center window (a link at the top). Click on the Manage Wireless Networks link in the list of links in the left hand section. If there is something REALLY wrong the Connection you are using will have an error message in that screen. If you double click on the Connection it will pull up a Properties dialog with two tabs, click the Security tab to get the security you are using for the connection. This is where information about what you are connecting to comes in handy as the security you specify here must match the wireless access point you are trying to connect to.

Why don't you do this and then maybe it will be obvious what your problem is or you can report back here and we can try to continue to help you.

Regards,

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown