Options

Los Angeles Union Station - some questions

zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
I've been wanting to take pics here - portraits, architecture, abstracts, etc. - and was wondering if anyone knows if there are any restrictions for photogs. Will I need a permit or some kind of written permission or something?
"Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    If you are obvious, they will ask you for a permit. I've been stopped once and asked.
    You may want to contact them, explain that it's only for a hobby and non commercial use and see what they say. If they ask for money and such, I'd probably go without a permit and if they ask you to leave, leave.

Good luck.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I've never been questioned at Union Station. Recently, I was asked if I was a professional while shooting at the Santa Monica pier. I told then it was just a hobby... they said that no problem just sign a release at the office. So maybe the City of LA has a similar policy as Santa Monica ... but with the Patriot Act and the high risk nature of a transportation hub like Union Station ... I'd call before making an appearance.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. Guess it's safer to contact them first and get permits/permission. I really dislike all the over-reaction of some law enforcement since 9/11 and their use of that to violate 1st Amendment rights. Why do they assume that a person with a camera is potentially a terrorist :rambo ? Anyways...when I do go out there to photograph, I'll contact the proper authorities first.
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 7, 2008
    I've never been stopped or questioned at Union Station (or anywhere else) and I'm also madly protective of my personal rights.

I never ask permission and I shoot everything and anything I want (without violating anyone else's personal rights)
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    checking the web, the union station may actually be a private property owned by a group called Los Angeles Union Station, part of westworld, I think they also operate many of the airports as well.

So it appears to be a private property, in which case it's up to their discretion, like the airport I guess.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Los_Angeles)
    http://www.westworld.com/~elson/larail/laus.html

I think they are protective b/c they rent out the places for TV/Movies and such so they may be interested in limiting photography of the place.

Who knows.