Options

Help for Assignment!

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Technique
I just got a gig photographing the the Family Pet Show in the Toronto International Centre. After speaking with the organizers, I was told that they wanted mostly photos of their sponsors at their exhibits, photos of the crowds, and lastly, occasional shots of dog trials (very last priority).

I am adept at shooting outdoor canine action, however, I tend to stay away from indoor shooting because I just plain don't like it. This is a straight service-for-service shoot (I get a booth at the show to promote my side business for free and get to keep the copyrights of the photos). They want utilitarian photos showing people smoozing for their website (not print).

My relevant equipment is as follows:

Nikon D80
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Tamron SP 70-210 f/3.5-4 (might be interesting)
Kiron 105mm f/2.5
Nikkor 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6 (probably useless)

I would really prefer NOT to use a flash system at all, as I will be darting around snapping candids of the crowd and keynote speakers.

Could I suffice with this equipment or am I going to need to go out and rent some different lenses. This is the first large-scale indoor event I have done.
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    The only flash I would use in such a large venue is an offcamera one, but you didn't list it in your gear. Renting it is not a good idea, since it's tricky to use.

I'd suggest renting a D300/D3 and some fast VR lens, so you can get away with noise even at high ISO.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I would use a flash, a bounce flash with a bounce card or a diffuser. I realize that you will likely not have any low, white ceilings, but just something to fill-in and color balance.

I would also use a wide-angle lens. You could use the 18-200, but something faster would be nicer. I'd rent an SB-800 and a 17-55 f/2.8.

But that's just me.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Thanks for the advise guys. I do have a flash and a diffuser. I'll bring that along and do with that. I'll think about renting a faster wide-angle lens as well and that way, I'll be covered.

I'm curious at how the Kiron will do in this venue. The 105mm is nice focal length, especially for these keynote speakers.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed