I'm done!!!

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited March 16, 2008 in People
Well, after a year of doing Self Portraits - every day (well, I did miss 2 days, DOH!) - I finally finished. Yesterday, which also happened to be my birthday, was my last day....

A few of my favorites...

My last one
262846875_ATta6-M.jpg

256083449_A8UN6-M.jpg
My grandfather's garage
229429978_7Ax3K-M.jpg

211843924_DHDmg-M.jpg

204207047_PaGfT-M.jpg

Anyone recognize the woman with me?
189764496_8QPNF-M.jpg

Family portrait at 12,000 feet!
173702118_zcNWV-M.jpg

If you're bored, you can see the whole gallery of them here: http://www.tippiepics.com/selfportrait.

(Oh, and they're numbered slightly off and slightly out of order - I will fix that when I get home.)

Thanks for peeking!

(And C&C is always welcome!)

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Love Grandpa's garage thumb.gif

I've seen many garages like that in my family. Is that you in the mirror?
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Love Grandpa's garage thumb.gif

I've seen many garages like that in my family. Is that you in the mirror?

Yup! That's me!

Thanks so much...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    clap.gifwings.gif :ivar

wtg Andi
    edited March 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gifwings.gif :ivar

wtg Andi
    :D

Thank you so much!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Yup! That's me!

Thanks so much...

Thought so :D With all that's in there you could play "find the photographyer" . Good addition to the photo.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    clap.gifwings.gif Congrats, Andi - that is a great accomplishment. Do you think that your photography was positively impacted by the project? Are you raring to start another PAD project?

Maybe someday - my b'day is in September so I have some time to contemplate it!

ann
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Another congrats from me! I've been so privileged to be an observer of your fantastic SPAD project!

And that would be Ms. Lynne Hulbert, BTW. :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Truly a remarkable accomplishment! clap.gif

I have learned quite a bit about you:

1) You are an amazing photographer

2) You have a wonderful family

3) You get a hell of a lot of snow AND you have someone to shovel your roof.

I am sure there is more, I just can't think of any more at the moment. Did I mention the snow? Oh yeah, I did.

I hope to see you still posting in the Dailies...

PS: Since you will now be having a surplus of creativity, could you send some to me - I am in need :)
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    I'll say it again: congrats on such a fantastic project and year! clap.gif I came late to the dailies, but I had popped into your gallery a few times months ago because I saw so many people listing you as an inspiration in their galleries. I had to check out who this Tippie person was! :D

Your creativity astounds me. Your photography is wonderful and inspiring. Your yearlong gallery holds some absolute gems. I really enjoyed the journey you led us on, and I look forward to seeing what's to come. thumb.gif
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    you'll make a coffee table book and caption them all, right?

just went through them all....OUTSTANDING job
    edited March 7, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    clap.gifwings.gif Congrats, Andi - that is a great accomplishment. Do you think that your photography was positively impacted by the project? Are you raring to start another PAD project?

Maybe someday - my b'day is in September so I have some time to contemplate it!

ann
    Ann, thank you so much! Yes, it has DEFINITELY impacted my photography for the better. I understand lighting so much better, how to be more flattering with my shots, adding in a LOT more creativity and I've learned a lot about processing in LR. I didn't put restrictions on myself like I do with my professional shoots and expanded myself a lot..

Thanks - and I HIGHLY recommend doing it. It was truly a learning experience in ways I never expected.
    Another congrats from me! I've been so privileged to be an observer of your fantastic SPAD project!

And that would be Ms. Lynne Hulbert, BTW. :D
    Thank you so much, Elaine! It's tough, but a lot of fun. And it's awesome watching you with your project as well!!!

And you're right - it's Urbanaries, Lynne!
    Truly a remarkable accomplishment! clap.gif

I have learned quite a bit about you:

1) You are an amazing photographer

2) You have a wonderful family

3) You get a hell of a lot of snow AND you have someone to shovel your roof.

I am sure there is more, I just can't think of any more at the moment. Did I mention the snow? Oh yeah, I did.

I hope to see you still posting in the Dailies...

PS: Since you will now be having a surplus of creativity, could you send some to me - I am in need :)
    Thanks, Alex! But you're never lacking in humor. I love your project because it's always got something unexpected and usually makes me smile.

And you're right - I do have a wonderful family, lots of snow, and too much snow!

Thanks again!
    I'll say it again: congrats on such a fantastic project and year! clap.gif I came late to the dailies, but I had popped into your gallery a few times months ago because I saw so many people listing you as an inspiration in their galleries. I had to check out who this Tippie person was! :D

Your creativity astounds me. Your photography is wonderful and inspiring. Your yearlong gallery holds some absolute gems. I really enjoyed the journey you led us on, and I look forward to seeing what's to come. thumb.gif
    Thank you so much, Kerry! It was so much fun to try so many different things. I didn't always have creativity - it was seeing other projects, like yours, that sparked ideas for me.

Thanks again!!
    you'll make a coffee table book and caption them all, right?

just went through them all....OUTSTANDING job

Actually, I do plan on that! I just need to find the time to figure out how to suck down all the photos with all their captions and put 'em in a book without having to copy and paste each one. Laughing.gif! Wish me luck with that.

Thank you SO much!!
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Excellent!
    I loved checking in on your pic a day - I loved Kate's as well. Both of you are so incredibly creative! Very inspiring!
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    What an accomplishment... I can't even handle one picture a day, let alone a portrait a day. Great stuff! thumb.gif
    Chris
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY Andi!!!

Congrats on a great project! I bet it made you look at photography in a completely new way. Would you do it again? Are you starting another "photo a day" theme/project? I have a tree down the street that I keep thinking would be fun to shoot every day.

I would love to hear what you learned from your project.
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

The impact which you created with your self-portrait per day series is strong and clear. It may or may not be to you, as our perspective makes it difficult to see the forest for the trees. The other night on the Sundance channel, there was a photography special on Cartier-Bresson, and his friend Josef Koudelka said the hardest thing for a photographer to do is to see their own work objectively, but that it is critically important. I agree. When I immerse myself in a long term project, I get so close to it that I can’t see. So I hope you know, Andi, how wonderful and powerful your project is, much more than you may realize now. By stepping outside the comfort zone, you have taken a courageous path towards truth, the truth about yourself and who you are.

In the foreword to his book, The Portraits of Duane Michals 1958-1988, he says:
    “I am much nicer than my face. We spend our entire lives looking into mirrors believing the illusions reflected there and comforted by the reality of appearances. Unfortunately, people are seldom who they appear to be, and what is seen is what we expect to see. We look for reassurance, not revelation. We do not know.”

“I knew my mother and father my entire lifetime and not once did they ever reveal themselves to me.”

“For those being photographed, portraiture is essentially about vanity. We want to be told that we are in some way attractive, almost desirable, still young and of value. Anything less is disturbing. We hope for flattery. And all the time we are looking for the wrong thing. We should want clues to our own truth.”

Perhaps subconciously you made this project to learn some clues to your own truth? Regardless of which way you go now and what project you do next, I think it will be richer because of what you’ve accomplished here. You might continue, or you might decide to pull the rug out from under yourself and observe which way you fall.

Richard Avedon was constantly being shown portfolios of young photographers. Once in a while, when someone’s work really showed him something different, he would say, “You’ve found your eyes.” Of course, I ain’t Avedon, I’m just me. But last night when the rain woke me up and I couldn’t get back to sleep, I stopped by dgrin and saw your self-portraits, looked through every photograph, and in that semi-concious state where you’re not even aware that your mind is awake, my mouth said out loud, “she’s finding her eyes.”

Thanks for sharing them. Your project is interesting to me, particularly since our worlds are so different, and I thought it was done beautifully.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    You did it again !!
    wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Happy Birthday Andi !!!

I too have enjoyed peeking at your SPAD gallery. You definately have some very imaginative ways of capturing yourself. Very "outside-the-box" and artful. Thank you for the treat you have given us in allowing us all to not only see into your private world, but also helping us all to grow a little in our own art in learning from yours.

I LOVE the W/A shot you posted at the beginning of this thread. It's funky angle and the upstretched arms scream relief. I find it to be a very stark contrast to your LPSGF entry.....and especially in contrast with the shot that you decided to NOT run in the GF. I still see snow on the ground, but it isn't part way up the windows now. Woo-Hoo!!!!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Happy birthday tooo !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Haha were you doing that 365 thing that girls be doing on Flickr? I iloveyou.gif looking through those things, wouldn't personally do it myself though haha.

Awesome sets! Love all the bold colors and facials expressions. Your shots dont come out like those MySpace shots taken with th eleft hand all stretched out and pointed down, they're all very creative.

258333128_vct6N-S-1.jpg

You should be proud of yourself!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Hey, I didn't sign no release....?eek7.gifD

Congrats on a phenomenal accomplisment...not only that you did it every day (and being the non-stickler that I am, you should not count those two days you missed, for there were lots of days you did two!) but that you truly challenged yourself and pushed boundaries and as Jim W so eloquently said, "found your eyes."

Oh, and it really is a testament to your personality and abilities to count how MANY photographers your project has inspired thumb.gif

Truly in awe in Indianoplace,

Lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Well I feel since you were dedicated enough to take a picture a day, I should comment and critique on every picture.

1 - 434: I love the whole series!

Could easily see it in a NY Gallery or a Barnes & Noble bookstore.
    Worthy of a book like Annie Leibovitz IMO.
    What's more important is it's something amazing you can pass on to your kids.

I love the Belle's castle story! Also the Ski Loop! Feeding ANdale!
    What a beautiful area you live in.
    I still don't see how you go to Shay's Boot Camp and then stop shooting weddings! :poke

I have trouble getting from behind the camera myself and people are begging me to take pictures of myself. Maybe I could do one or two.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    I just came across this article about the self-portraiture of Sophia Tolstoy. It seemed appropriate to mention it in Andi's thread about her own awesome work! Andi...I'm glad to hear you're going to make a book!

http://www.popphoto.com/photographynewswire/5151/a-womans-search-for-self.html
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    I'm actually quite impressed by your achievement, Andi. I've only recently started a photo-a-day project like thing, that immediately turned into a sort-of-photo-a-day project. I can't believe you managed to shoot every day (okay, minus 2, but still) for a whole year and have them be self-portraits and amazing photos as well.

I would take my hat off for you, if I had one.

Congrats! wings.gif :ivar :smo clap.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Congrats Andi! Oh....and Happy Birthday, too! Your SPAD gallery is beyond amazing. You put so much thought behind each shot, and it shows. I've really enjoyed viewing it throughout the year and I agree with others that you are leaving a wonderful legacy behind for your girls. If I had a year in the life of my mother to look at, I would be thrilled. I think this gallery represents some of your finest work, though you probably are standing too close to see this. Someday you will go back and review it and be totally amazed with yourself! thumb.gif
  • thephotophreakthephotophreak Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2008
    happy birthday
    Andi . . . first off let me say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

i love this idea, and i am going to look at all your photos in a minute.
    love "grandpas garage".

My birthday is this weekend and i am going to challenge myself to create a year of "ME" in photos.

I have gotten increasingly weird about getting in photos and think that this will be a big step in loving who I am, after all I've gotta look better now then I will when I am 80, so this way I will have something to show my future grandkids.
    And hey there will be proof that my kids did have a mom - so few of "us moms" actually end up in our families photos.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Congrats on the completion of this ambitious project. I've really enjoyed your portraits throughout the year. Truly a remarkable undertaking!!

Oh, Happy Birthday!
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    You know how I feel. iloveyou.gif

This project has been such an inspiration to others as someone else said. You are such an amazing photographer and your project has been one that I have enjoyed visiting quite often!!! Congratulations again! Superb job!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Whoohooo Andi
    Now that's a project! I love the gallery.....way cool...so many different moods, ideas, visions......most groovy (sheese...showing my age again). Great job!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 11, 2008
    Whoa! I leave and forget to check my post and I have all these amazing responses! All I can say is THANK YOU! You made my day.

It's funny, one of the biggest reasons I kept it up WAS as a legacy for my girls. I would love to have seen my mother like this - it would have been amazing. (She did take some great photos, but very few with her in them.)

Once again, thank you again! I really appreciate it!! iloveyou.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Hello Andi,
    I was showing this to my wife and she was trying to look at them in order but we realized the aren't in order. Is there any particular reason for that?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com