Options

some california shootin'

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 28, 2005 in Holy Macro
yesterday, i had the distinct pleasure of shooting with not only my good friend steve cavigliano, but also ed hughes and the missus, and their lovely five year old daughter - an excellent shooter in her own right.. and of course ian408 too.

i gave some of my lenses a workout....

canon's 10-22 ef-s

i really dig this lens. it's light, wiiiide and sharp. extremely flare resistant for a uwa (you need to buy the hood!). responsive to slim circular polarizer. it's fun for reeeally close portraits, with interesting (!) effects :lol3 ... i'm really happy with it, and it should stay in my kit...

18244212-L.jpg

18244219-L.jpg

18244242-L.jpg

18245083-L.jpg

18244874-L.jpg

canon's 24 f/1.4L

i purchased this to take the place of my 35L... it doesn't disappoint. with a fl of 38mm on a 1.6x body, it's a really nice fl for my tastes. incredibly sharp where i want it to be... great color and contrast. feels super on the 20d, it's not a beast at all. super bright (f/1.4) for low light work, too.

18244246-L.jpg

18244247-L.jpg

except for the first and last shots, these shots are all straight from the camera jpgs. no post at all. for the first one, i developed two exposures, one for the ground and one for the sky, then blended in post. the last one, was very responsive to the blending treatment in raw.

i'm impressed with both of these lenses.

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    18244212-S.jpg

Love the composition and sharpness of this shot. Good wide angle is so hard to do and you do it very well.

18244247-S.jpg

Cool first person with great humor. Would be better with focus on bird's eys instead of thumb and bread. But I can understand that you had your hands full at the time.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    18244874-S.jpg

Oh, I missed this one. The clever angle really makes the good composition stand out. Good exposure in tricky light, too.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Very Nice!!
    Some very cool shots Andy! clap.gif
    I love the wide angle.
    I want a wide lens for my soon to be 20D,
    now I have to save up for that lens. headscratch.gif
    (I think I will just learn on what I am starting with first)

Thanks

Dean

andy wrote:
    yesterday, i had the distinct pleasure of shooting with not only my good friend steve cavigliano, but also ed hughes and the missus, and their lovely five year old daughter - an excellent shooter in her own right.. and of course ian408 too.

i gave some of my lenses a workout....

canon's 10-22 ef-s

i really dig this lens. it's light, wiiiide and sharp. extremely flare resistant for a uwa (you need to buy the hood!). responsive to slim circular polarizer. it's fun for reeeally close portraits, with interesting (!) effects lol3.gif ... i'm really happy with it, and it should stay in my kit...
    Dean - New York
    Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Excellent shots Andy, the family and I had a blast meeting up with you, Ian and Steve Yesterday. My daughter kept saying what a fun day she had all the way home..

All the times I've been through Moss Landing, I've never taken a shot the artichoke fields, I really like that one...

Ed
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Love the first shot Andy and as always thank you for giving us the details. Pardon my ignorance but when you say fl 38mm on a 1.6x body what do you mean by 1.6x body?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 26, 2005
    Great shots! The 'gull on a pole is nice.

4labs, I think Andy means crop factor.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    I really like that 1st one Andy.I must get that lens and give it a go.
    That 2nd one is real SCARY:D
    I Been enjoying your Ca adventurethumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    18244212-S.jpg

Love the composition and sharpness of this shot. Good wide angle is so hard to do and you do it very well.

thanks so much, rutt! i do love my wide angle shooting. i'm really happy that the 10-22 is a performer.
    rutt wrote:
    Cool first person with great humor. Would be better with focus on bird's eys instead of thumb and bread. But I can understand that you had your hands full at the time.

check yer eyeglasses, john. i'm going with the fact that the bird's eyes are at the end of the dof. they're in by a skosch, which is a tad longer than a smidgen but not as much as a soupcon lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    rutt wrote:

Oh, I missed this one. The clever angle really makes the good composition stand out. Good exposure in tricky light, too.

thanks john - isn't digital raw wonderful? thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    check yer eyeglasses, john. i'm going with the fact that the bird's eyes are at the end of the dof. they're in by a skosch, which is a tad longer than a smidgen but not as much as a soupcon lol3.gif
    Maybe, but I'd like to see focus a further back and have the thumb a little soft instead of having the bird's eye a little soft. Just a quibble. It's still a cool shot.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2005
    DeanMcM wrote:
    Some very cool shots Andy! clap.gif
    I love the wide angle.
    I want a wide lens for my soon to be 20D,
    now I have to save up for that lens. headscratch.gif
    (I think I will just learn on what I am starting with first)

Thanks

Dean

congrats on your new purchase, dean, and thanks for stopping by here!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    thumb.gif Lovely. nod.gif I'm jealous. :(:

18244212-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    18244212-L.jpg

18244247-L.jpg

"except for the first and last shots..." .
    the two I like best; especially #1. You are the dgrin KOW (king of wide). :D