That Lily from earlier this week...

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited March 8, 2008 in Holy Macro
I think that it is a lily of some sort (definately not a freesia!) though I don't know which particularly variety.

But I wanted to keep working with the flower because it is quite splendid.

So for this edit, I went for a bright high key soft focus photo. Deliberately shot at F/7.1 @ 1.3sec ISO 100, I imported the RAW file into Lightroom and pushed the exposure up even more. Then in PS, used levels to bring the white petals against the white background back, before using a Tiffen filter to add the soft pink vignette and soft focus to finish it off. Final touch was the scatter frame and matching stroke border.

finalflowerwhitepink1softnamedframe.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Hi Paul

I believe it is an alstoemeria, small, very pretty - lots of blooms per stem?

It is a nice photo, although I wonder if it is a bit too dreamy, creamy? Probably not, probably a good stock photo.

ann
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Nice one Paul. I might have turned it towards the viewer a bit more. It is, however, very well done as is.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Paul Iddon wrote:
    I think that it is a lily of some sort (definately not a freesia!) though I don't know which particularly variety.

But I wanted to keep working with the flower because it is quite splendid.

So for this edit, I went for a bright high key soft focus photo. Deliberately shot at F/7.1 @ 1.3sec ISO 100, I imported the RAW file into Lightroom and pushed the exposure up even more. Then in PS, used levels to bring the white petals against the white background back, before using a Tiffen filter to add the soft pink vignette and soft focus to finish it off. Final touch was the scatter frame and matching stroke border.

Paul.

It's a pretty flower Paul, I would liked to have seen it turned more towards
    the camera to see more inside the flower.

This would make a lovely gift card clap.gif nicely done Paul thumb.gif .. Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Skippy wrote:

This would make a lovely gift card clap.gif nicely done Paul thumb.gif .. Skippy :D

Yes well done Paul. I love the way you keep creating somthing different.
    Regards
    Bob
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Skippy wrote:

Yes well done Paul. I love the way you keep creating somthing different.
    Regards
    Bob
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    This is nice - but i think it blends a little too much into the card, and gets a little 'lost'- ne_nau.gif - maybe it's just me, and for a lot of things, I think it boils down to personal taste, but I would like to see this with a contrasting background to really bring out the petals at the back. Again - just me.
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    LOvely shot- reminded me of a Victorian postcard :)
    Agree with Michelle think it needs a slightly more contrasty background.
    Brian V.
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Thanks all for looking.

It's just arty, so I was interested in reactions. Varied eh? rolleyes1.gif

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk