Portrait of the Artist

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited March 26, 2005 in People
This is my friend who is a novelist. The shot is one from a shoot for his last novel's author photo. This one was not the one chosen, but I think it is OK. He is a cool subject. BTW- He is Chuck Rosenthal, his book "Never Let Me Go" is very powerful stuff.

regards,

Gary18245944-M.jpg

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Nice portrait. I'd like to see the original color version.
    If not now, when?
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Nice portrait. I'd like to see the original color version.
    Here it is. No adjustment.

18246813-M.jpg
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    This is my friend who is a novelist. The shot is one from a shoot for his last novel's author photo. This one was not the one chosen, but I think it is OK. He is a cool subject. BTW- He is Chuck Rosenthal, his book "Never Let Me Go" is very powerful stuff.

regards,

Gary18245944-M.jpg

Wow, one of my kin.

He is a good subject. The shot could be strengthened by using a little crop top and left to re-compose. He feels a bit like he's falling out of the frame. I also would add that you need to be careful not to clip your highlights in your B/W conversion.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Very nice portrait I like the color version better. When you converted to BW you lost some detail on his forehead in particular. Just MHO..
    edited March 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wow, one of my kin.

He is a good subject. The shot could be strengthened by using a little crop top and left to re-compose. He feels a bit like he's falling out of the frame. I also would add that you need to be careful not to clip your highlights in your B/W conversion.
    You are right about the conversion. I am still very much a beginner in the wonderful world of Photoshop. I will try your thinking on the crop. Thanks for your thoughts.

regards,

Gary
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Very nice portrait I like the color version better. When you converted to BW you lost some detail on his forehead in particular. Just MHO..
    That's why I asked to see the color. Probably B&W was required for the book jacket? But a more careful conversion can preserve the forehead detail. The salmon colored background isn't a plus for me, and I also find the wood grain distracting in the B&W. It's a great portrait, though, so perhaps it's worth some work to do a better B&W conversion, tone down the wall maybe using this technique , use the techniques from this thread, or similar.
    If not now, when?
    edited March 26, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I agree about the detail loss. I should probably give that another try. I needed to give them B&W for the book.

regards,

Gary
    edited March 26, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    I agree about the detail loss. I should probably give that another try. I needed to give them B&W for the book.

regards,

Gary

Try this technique, as quoted from Greg Gorman's site. The technique was developed by Rob Carr, I believe. It's awesome.

It's here. You need to go to the navigation bar, select Learn, and then click on the B/W Conversion tutorial. It'll download the PDF, so if you're on a slow connection, know that it's a download.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 26, 2005
    Thank you all for the links and downloads. I'm on it!

Gary
    edited March 26, 2005
    A new crop and background revised.

Gary

18250882-M.jpg
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 26, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    A new crop and background revised.

Gary

18250882-M.jpg
    This is much, much better. thumb.gif
    edited March 26, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey, Angelo thanks very much. You know - I say I'm in Canoga Park. but, as you know, that's really in L.A. too. Where are you located?

regards,

Gary
    edited March 26, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

OK, I'm going to nit-pick.

The background IS better, but what I see is the reflection of the warm background against a now cool background, leaving me to wonder where the warm colors reflected on his face come from. I believe that this could be fixed with some careful PS work.

Other than that nit...nice work! Composition is better, background is more pleasing...
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    OK, I'm going to nit-pick.

The background IS better, but what I see is the reflection of the warm background against a now cool background, leaving me to wonder where the warm colors reflected on his face come from. I believe that this could be fixed with some careful PS work.

Other than that nit...nice work! Composition is better, background is more pleasing...
    18268549-M.jpg

I think this might be what you are thinking about.

Gary
    edited March 26, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    18268549-M.jpg

I think this might be what you are thinking about.

Gary

Much better. I think you could still pull it back from the eyebrow through the hand. I still see the red reflected there, but yeah, right on.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Much better. I think you could still pull it back from the eyebrow through the hand. I still see the red reflected there, but yeah, right on.
    I see it now, still more to do.

thanks so much,

Gary