Options

Anyone familiar with Eye-One monitor calibration ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited March 10, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I trying to use it to calibrate my imac 24". The instruction manual has less information than a kamikazes return flight plan.

When doing the diagnostics...it asks to make sure the Eye-One device is over the white tile. Do they mean the white tile in colour chart supplied ?

Tks

Comments

• Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I trying to use it to calibrate my imac 24". The instruction manual has less information than a kamikazes return flight plan.

When doing the diagnostics...it asks to make sure the Eye-One device is over the white tile. Do they mean the white tile in colour chart supplied ?

Tks

I would think so (over the white tile) however, I just downloaded the most recent diagnostic and it doesn't ask for a white tile, it asks for a plain surface... so I assume white tile or possibly grey card. Then the next step is having it on the monitor.
  • Options
    sesshinsesshin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    My eye-one came with base with a white circle in the middle that you set the spectrophotometer in to calibrate it. I'm not sure if your's came with that or not.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    sesshin wrote:
    My eye-one came with base with a white circle in the middle that you set the spectrophotometer in to calibrate it. I'm not sure if your's came with that or not.

Mine came with a snap on ambient light base and during the advance setup you can click on a checkbox and have the option to calibrate the eye-one. (Software is Eye One Match 3.)

..also in looking more at the diagnostic I had mentioned ealier, it seems to be more for testing than for actually calibrating.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Tks guys but what area actually sets the calibration going ? Ive searched the net to no avail...the manual is useless & ive tried all the folders. Im missing the obvious headscratch.gif

Can any of you point me to the button ?

263561898_4sjJK-XL.jpg
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Eye-One Match is the program which does all the calibration and profiling (monitor, printer, scanner, camera, etc.). Install Match, run it and it will lead you through the process.

One thing to note: Match has two modes for profiling your monitor, Easy and Advanced. Advanced will calibrate your monitor (to the degree possible) and then profile it. Easy skips the calibraion and just generates a profile. I can't see any justification for using the "Easy" mode. Advanced mode gives you a better profile and has the added advantage of making unmanaged applications (like FireFox) look closer to managed applications (like Photoshop).
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    I actually had a color training session from xrite.. Here's what they said..

Reset an LCD to factory defaults.

Run "Advanced", and skip over all the ambient checks and 'adjusting your color' on your screen. DO adjust the brightness/contrast if you need to make it brighter. THEN, choose 6500K, 2.2Gamma, and 120lux (if possible) for LCD. They suggested using Easy to do a first calibration as that will tell you what the monitor WANTS to be... So, if the monitor ends up with easy at 2.3 gamma, tell the match program that you want to calibrate to 2.1 (so that you'll get 2.2 at the end of it).

It was an interesting hour session :)

David
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    In the version of the color match software for Vista, you put the device anywhere you want on your screen and when you click "Start" it moves white and grey boxes around until it figures out exactly where the device is. Once it has found it then it puts a white box directly under the device.

When mine asks me to make sure it's over the white box, it's asking me to make sure that it correctly located the device and put the white box on the right portion of the monitor.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Thanks for the help guys...all done thumb.gif