potential SmugIsland loopholes?

ms9ms9 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited March 8, 2008 in SmugMug Support
i know about SmugIslands, but i'm a little concerned if someone simply picks up my subdomain url and posts it somewhere, then google will find it, right?

or even just on smugmug itself there could be an issue?, like what if you set HelloWorld to NO, but someone who does not have a private island has a "friend" link to your site. now are you still an island? can't Google crawl that link into your site?

lemme know what you think, ms9

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 8, 2008
    ms9 wrote:
    i know about SmugIslands, but i'm a little concerned if someone simply picks up my subdomain url and posts it somewhere, then google will find it, right?

or even just on smugmug itself there could be an issue?, like what if you set HelloWorld to NO, but someone who does not have a private island has a "friend" link to your site. now are you still an island? can't Google crawl that link into your site?

We actually include directions for Google and other search engines (or at least the ones that follow the "rules") to simply ignore the pages entirely.

We don't try and prevent Google from crawling and finding your site because that would be impossible. We just tell Google to not list it.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    ms9 wrote:

Take a look at http://ms9.smugmug.com/robots.txt. This is the instructions for crawlers and it doesn't matter how the crawler got to your site, a well behaved one is supposed to look at the contents of that file and follow it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • ms9ms9 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Re: potential SmugIsland loopholes?
    oh, had no idea you could do that. thx, ms9