Lens Condensation. Flawed lens or Flawed Photog?

BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited March 8, 2008 in Cameras
We had decent snow today for the first time in 2 years, YEAH! And just to make it better it was a balmy 30 degrees.

Before the kids got up I snuck out the back door with my new Tamron 17-35 (I've only had it about 2 weeks) that I have been very happy with. http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/48/cat/all

As I was shooting I kept noticing that the center was kind of foggy, when I looked at the lens I saw a circle of condensation inside the glass. I was baffled by this since I know about slowly warming the lenses and camera, but have never seen this before. I swapped it out for my Nikon 24-120 VR and had no problems.

I then moved the entire camera bag out to the car because I knew I would be shooting more later. Took the kids sledding about an hour later. The 24-120 preforned admirable for that job. Took a couple macros of snow flakes with the Sigma 50mm 2.8, with no problems. Got out the 17-35 to get a nice wide of the hill with the kids, dog, snow and trees and it started fogging up inside again.

Do I need to contact Tamron or am I doing something wrong.

I have taken the other 2 lenses out in bitter cold with never a problem. So I am beginning to think I have a faulty lens.

Thanks Guys!
"Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
Bill Brandt

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 8, 2008
    It's possible that the lens is retaining moisture and simply manifesting the problem in the cold. I suggest that you need to thoroughly dry the lens.

A hair dryer on low heat and a couple of feet away should do the trick given a little time.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums