Options

Travel to Alaska

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Journeys
Ian, please feel free to move this thread to where it is most convenient if necessary. Thank you. :D
---
My wife and myself we want to go to Alaska in August.

We will buy the flight from Lisbon to Seattle or Anchorage in the first days of April.

We intend to travel by ourselves and take a train or a boat for a tour.

Can we/I have some advice please ?

Thank you.:D:thumb
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Congrats on planning a great trip! How long do you expect to stay in Alaska?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Congrats on planning a great trip! How long do you expect to stay in Alaska?

Some 10 to 15 days :D
    bowdown.gif
    We are searching in the net but I thought that here with my friends photographers we can get some nice and good tips.:D
    bowdown.gifD
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    I love Alaska. (Perhaps that is why I live here after trying out other places)

August is nice, but it does get chilly. Most of the Mosquitoes are gone by then though. We did a boat tour last August and saw some nice Orcas and sea lions and all kinds of other creatures.
    Yes do a boat tour! There are lots available that go from Seattle and pretty much any port in Alaska.

What you want to do would make a difference on where you go. Want to go white water rafting at the base of Denali - go to Healy. (That is one of my favorite things I have ever done here in AK. Hire a guide for my peace of mind, though.) Oh and while you are there hire a flight seeing tour of Denali- it will take you to several glaciers and all over. You can take the train right from your boat and that is pretty cool!

You are going to love it in Alaska.
  • Options
    tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Some 10 to 15 days :D
    bowdown.gif
    We are searching in the net but I thought that here with my friends photographers we can get some nice and good tips.:D
    bowdown.gifD

not sure where you will want to go... but I would say definitely hit the Kenai Peninsula. It's south of Anchorage and easy to navigate on your own. You should plan a few days as the drive is INCREDIBLE for photo taking...

You should definitely hit Seward (and take the Seavey Dog Sled tour - http://www.ididaride.com - as it is FANTASTIC!) in Seward you can get tickets to a boat tour of the Kenai Fjords - whale sightings AND glaciers!

You also want to go down and see the Kenai River from Cooper Landing (Where the river starts out of Kenai Lake) and then head down and see the Mouth of the river in Kenai (where I grew up)

Homer is another DO NOT MISS. I would even take a boat tour of Halibut Cove if you can swing it money wise!

Are you into hiking? There are great trails on the Kenai Peninsula.

You can tour the peninsula and then head back to Anchorage catch the Wild Ride Sled Dog Show (ok this is a commerical plug of sorts, because that's where I work) if you're here while we're still running... and then catch the train and head up to Denali (where you may or may not actually see the MT. but the wildlife alone is worth it!)

if you have more questions feel free to pm me or even email me - tonichelle@uaa.alaska.edu - I'm a life long South Central Alaskan and even if I don't have the answer I know where to go to get the answer!
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    I love Alaska. (Perhaps that is why I live here after trying out other places)

August is nice, but it does get chilly. Most of the Mosquitoes are gone by then though. We did a boat tour last August and saw some nice Orcas and sea lions and all kinds of other creatures.
    Yes do a boat tour! There are lots available that go from Seattle and pretty much any port in Alaska.

What you want to do would make a difference on where you go. Want to go white water rafting at the base of Denali - go to Healy. (That is one of my favorite things I have ever done here in AK. Hire a guide for my peace of mind, though.) Oh and while you are there hire a flight seeing tour of Denali- it will take you to several glaciers and all over. You can take the train right from your boat and that is pretty cool!

You are going to love it in Alaska.

clap.gifbowdown.gifD
    We have just been looking and I think we are going to book the flight with American Airlines and take a guided tour from Archorage.

We saw some pictures of Denali with a red plain. Yeh ! Fine. We are going to love that. :D:D

:Dbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    clap.gifbowdown.gifD
    We have just been looking and I think we are going to book the flight with American Airlines and take a guided tour from Archorage.

We saw some pictures of Denali with a red plain. Yeh ! Fine. We are going to love that. :D:D

I will also say that I would try to avoid a cruise and just fly into Anchorage and rent a car... I may be biased, but I don't like how cruises are in charge of your schedule. I honestly don't think you see ALASKA on a cruise. You see the made for TV version that way. It's not half as exciting...

but that's just me ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    tonichelle wrote:
    I will also say that I would try to avoid a cruise and just fly into Anchorage and rent a car... I may be biased, but I don't like how cruises are in charge of your schedule. I honestly don't think you see ALASKA on a cruise. You see the made for TV version that way. It's not half as exciting...

but that's just me ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thank you young man ! bowdown.gif

We saw this tour which we thought to be interesting.

• Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Thank you young man ! bowdown.gif

We saw this tour which we thought to be interesting.

I agree on the flight and the rental car. If you want to go hiking or climbing while here give me a call. I'll send you my phone number and email in PM. Also once you get in you can ask any questions you need. Might even know of a place you can stay in Anchorage if your looking for that by then. :)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited March 8, 2008
    Hi Antonio,

I think it's a great place to visit and you will surely enjoy yourselves.

I would suggest ordering a Milepost (www.milepost.com) as a way to find
    things within the state. It's a great resource.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I agree on the flight and the rental car. If you want to go hiking or climbing while here give me a call. I'll send you my phone number and email in PM. Also once you get in you can ask any questions you need. Might even know of a place you can stay in Anchorage if your looking for that by then. :)

Thank you. :D
    Kind of you.:D

As I said, we will take an American Airline flight ( more than 26 hours Lisbon to Anchorage = a bore, a big one ne_nau.gif and we must come back ! ) and then a guided tour.

:Dbowdown.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi Antonio,

I think it's a great place to visit and you will surely enjoy yourselves.

I would suggest ordering a Milepost (www.milepost.com) as a way to find
    things within the state. It's a great resource.

Thank you Ian. :Dbowdown.gif

I hope to be able to post some of the picture I will take in Alaska, when time comes.

:Dthumb.gifbow
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Thank you. :D
    Kind of you.:D

As I said, we will take an American Airline flight ( more than 26 hours Lisbon to Anchorage = a bore, a big one ne_nau.gif and we must come back ! ) and then a guided tour.

:Dbowdown.gifthumb

Know what you mean. Last summer I came back from Prague and I was either on an airplane or in the airport for 3 straight days. Never left. Went Prague to London, London to Houston, Houston to Seattle, Seattle to Anchorage. Its hard getting her. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Know what you mean. Last summer I came back from Prague and I was either on an airplane or in the airport for 3 straight days. Never left. Went Prague to London, London to Houston, Houston to Seattle, Seattle to Anchorage. Its hard getting her. ;)

yeah, gotta love air travel to and from Alaska. Even travelling to the rest of the US is a chore! BLAH!

Antonio - I know you'll enjoy your stay here!
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Fly hours and hours is great bore.

I have been looking about the seats and beds with American Airlines and I found to be very good.

However we do know that travel in business is more expensive. Far more.mwink.gif

Tele-trasnportation that's what we need, these days ... :D

I am sure we will enjoy our stay in Alaska ! :Dthumb.gif