Another practice Stack Shot

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Holy Macro
I have taken another practice stack shot Brian. I feel the eyes and the rear end is out of focus.
Am I doing this right or not?
I take three shots and manually do 1 and 2 on the master shot. I then on the second shot I do 3 and 4 and hit the setup box on the right hand side of the dialogue. The third shot I do 3 and 4 and then hit Macro and 'Do stack' and sit back and pray.

263438119_42TiU-L.jpg

Kind regards
Bob

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Not bad Bob. Looks to me like you did not cover the entire DOF you wanted - ie you have missed some slices with the top of the head region and the near the rear end. I only use the manual realignment after running the stack first and seeing how it goes together first- If I end up with lots of double edges then I manually realign the pics.
    Sounds like you are doing the realignment properly but you have to press the set and use params button after each use of the 3 & 4 points on all the slices except the master slice.
    I would guess (depending on what aperture you were using) you would need about 6 slices to cover the entire DOF of that woodlouse at that angle.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I have taken another practice stack shot Brian. I feel the eyes and the rear end is out of focus.
    Am I doing this right or not?
    I take three shots and manually do 1 and 2 on the master shot. I then on the second shot I do 3 and 4 and hit the setup box on the right hand side of the dialogue. The third shot I do 3 and 4 and then hit Macro and 'Do stack' and sit back and pray.
    http://canon400d.smugmug.com/photos/263438119_42TiU-L.jpg

Kind regards
    Bob

Geezzz Bob, your becoming a techo-head clap.gif
    Smarty pants! thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • job3210job3210 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Nice try I know how hard it is to stack after practising myself.
    Keep it up:D
    Glenn
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    job3210 wrote:
    Nice try I know how hard it is to stack after practising myself.
    Keep it up:D

Thanks Skip for those kind remarks. I will keep practicing and will hopefully get there before I am too old.

Yes Job, it certainly is hard so don't give up, because Brian and Skippy give you all the help and support anyone could possibly wish for.

Regards
    Bob
    edited March 9, 2008
    Not bad Bob. Looks to me like you did not cover the entire DOF you wanted - ie you have missed some slices with the top of the head region and the near the rear end. I only use the manual realignment after running the stack first and seeing how it goes together first- If I end up with lots of double edges then I manually realign the pics.
    Sounds like you are doing the realignment properly but you have to press the set and use params button after each use of the 3 & 4 points on all the slices except the master slice.
    I would guess (depending on what aperture you were using) you would need about 6 slices to cover the entire DOF of that woodlouse at that angle.

Brian V.

Thanks Brian, I will try again. I have been doing the manual before the stacking and have only pressed the set and use params button on only one slice. In this case the second slice. I was on 2x and 1/200 F9 ISO 200.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited March 9, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Brian, I will try again. I have been doing the manual before the stacking and have only pressed the set and use params button on only one slice. In this case the second slice. I was on 2x and 1/200 F9 ISO 200.
    Cheers
    Bob

I have done the following screw stack using six slices manual alignment. In Manual mode at 1x 1/200 F11 ISO 200
    263758758_tE2RD-L.jpg
    Regards
    Bob