Miracle Plant

Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited November 9, 2005 in Holy Macro
This is a bit of a miracle plant. About 3 years ago, this African Violet was given up for lost, having fallen over in the pot with just a small string of root left (apparently rotted from over-watering).

Instead of throwing it in the garbage, I put it on top of the clothes dryer in the laundry room and forgot about it. A couple of months later, I noticed that the leaves were still green and the soil was sandy dry, so I poured in a cup of water and forgot it again. This process repeated for a few months and at some point I placed it on the window ledge of a north-facing window. About a year later my wife was amazed to discover it was blooming!

We repatriated it to the living room and it's now one of the healthiest and most beautiful plants we have, regularly displaying fist-sized bunches of blooms.

This was taken with the unaided lens in the Sony V1. Cam was hand-held in one hand while I held the F32X flash in the other and bounced it off the ceiling. WB set to flash, cam to "P" mode. Only post was slight USM and cropping and resizing.

Comments and/or criticizm gratefully received as always
-Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    I Have An African Violet Too
    This is a bit of a miracle plant. About 3 years ago, this African Violet was given up for lost, having fallen over in the pot with just a small string of root left (apparently rotted from over-watering).

Instead of throwing it in the garbage, I put it on top of the clothes dryer in the laundry room and forgot about it. A couple of months later, I noticed that the leaves were still green and the soil was sandy dry, so I poured in a cup of water and forgot it again. This process repeated for a few months and at some point I placed it on the window ledge of a north-facing window. About a year later my wife was amazed to discover it was blooming!

We repatriated it to the living room and it's now one of the healthiest and most beautiful plants we have, regularly displaying fist-sized bunches of blooms.

This was taken with the unaided lens in the Sony V1. Cam was hand-held in one hand while I held the F32X flash in the other and bounced it off the ceiling. WB set to flash, cam to "P" mode. Only post was slight USM and cropping and resizing.

Comments and/or criticizm gratefully received as always
    These plants seem to be pretty sturdy....... I also almost lost mine when I knocked over the pot it was in and also from neglect.
    At one stage I had to split the plant because it got too big for the container it was in, and I almost killed it trying to make room for it.

This plant has got to be about 8-10 years old now and it still blooms such pretty purple flowers :D thanks for sharing your story..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin