Options

Color Correction

CodoggCodogg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited March 22, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I've read a few threads about Photo Mechanic, lightroom, and colour-science. What is the best color correction software for ease and speed? Or should I be looking into something else.
Thanks,
Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com

Comments

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Photo Mechanic really doesn't do much, if any, correction for files. It's mostly for quick selection and metadata management.

Are you talking JPEG files or RAW files? LR is the only one of those 3 I'd use for RAW files. Actually I haven't even heard of colour-science.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Photo Mechanic really doesn't do much, if any, correction for files. It's mostly for quick selection and metadata management.

Are you talking JPEG files or RAW files? LR is the only one of those 3 I'd use for RAW files. Actually I haven't even heard of colour-science.

Thank you.
    Yes, I'm using RAW files and I'm currently editing them with the software that came with my camera, Digital Photo Pro. The problem I'm running into is I don't know when the color looks right! lol. I fix the photo and show it to my wife and she says it doesn't look true. These are mainly photos taken in a poorly lit gym which I'm getting a little better at setting the custom white balance and getting good shots. What I'm looking for is software that can correct my photo's for me. The colour-science is the software that smugmug uses when they print the photos. It's an auto correcting system (I think) and I was checking to see if anyone has used it for personal use. What is LR and how easy is it to use?
    Thanks,
    Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Perhaps you can post an uprocessed RAW shot converted to jpeg and a processed shot here so we can see.

BTW, is the monitor color calibrated?
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Perhaps you can post an uprocessed RAW shot converted to jpeg and a processed shot here so we can see.

BTW, is the monitor color calibrated?

Thank you Tom.
    Please forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure how to do either of those. lol. I'm very new to photography and I'm not very good with computers. That's probably a bad combo! I'll do my best to get some photos posted. How do I calibrate the color of my monitor?

I'm also looking for speed. I take photos of my daughter at her volleyball touneys. I was thinking about bringing a printer to print photos on the spot. Any thoughts.

Last question Tom....sorry....but how did you get the box around your slide show? That looks very classy.
    Thanks,
    Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Sounds to me like colour-science's image editor is the way to go. It's best for quick/bulk edits and its very, very good at skin tones.

Lightroom is "technically better," because you can do more than just global corrections - but in your case I think CS Image Editor is the way to go.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Sounds to me like colour-science's image editor is the way to go. It's best for quick/bulk edits and its very, very good at skin tones.

Lightroom is "technically better," because you can do more than just global corrections - but in your case I think CS Image Editor is the way to go.

Thank you. I've downloaded the trial version and you're correct. It works pretty good for on the spot bulk edits.

Codogg ><>
    Thanks,
    Cody ><>

www.finishlinefotos.com