Nikon MB-200 problem. Grip won't stay connected

Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Cameras
I'm having a problem with my MB-200. Whenever I'm shooting sports for a longer period of time (over 2 hours) my battery grip decides it doesnt want to connect to the D200 anymore. It flashes the batteries on the LCD like they are dead and it won't let me take any more photos until I turn the camera off and then back on. It also only happens when I'm holding the grip, it is like it's loose, but I have it tightened on there. The connection points look okay and I'm wondering if it just doesn't fit quite right on the camera.

I bought it from B&H at the beginning of January and am going to Minneapolis this coming weekend to shoot a race, so I cannot be without it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes? I have had no other problems with it other than it becoming "disconnected".

Thanks!

Matt

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 9, 2008
    Matt,

If it only happens with the "VR" lens then it might be the lens at least partly to blame. The current draw is considerably more with the VR activated and that combination of high draw and constant usage can make the camera seem "sensitive" to the problem.

It could also be older batteries, so if your batteries have seen a few hundred cycles it might be time to purchase another set.

If it happens with fresh batteries and on lenses other than your VR, you may have to send the camera to Nikon as that could be a more serious problem that will probably just get worse as time goes on.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    It only happens with the VR lens. VR is not turned on when it happens though. Any tips to fix this?