one year old Cade (8img including cake!)

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited March 12, 2008 in People
After some of the fantastic baby toddler threads up right now, I'm a little hesitant to post mine:D! But this was my fourth shoot with little Cade and he was such a trooper for his first birthday/cake shoot. His newborn shoot was three miserable hours...but this one I was in and out in under an hour! Yay for happy toddlers. C&C welcome.

1. Show us them toofers!
263441529_rFs4B-L-3.jpg

2. (there are others without chopped phelanges but this was my fave expression! )
263446687_9CX9u-L-3.jpg

3. Are you sure it's ok for me to be up here Mom?
263447792_sRJ9v-L-3.jpg

4. Upside down
263450434_4Sp54-L-3.jpg

5. Hammin' it up for the grandparents
263449926_Hf98j-L-3.jpg

6. What...for me? Aw shucks....
263451334_b2aCB-L-3.jpg

7. chocolate cake nir....uh, heaven :rofl
263452945_vSJfr-L-3.jpg

8. Happy birthday little guy!
263453812_FpoZi-L-3.jpg

(yeah, I'm a one trick pony.....)

thanks for lookin'!
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Complete adorableness! I love his little spiky hair and all the different expressions you caught. Your conversions are fab-u-lous. And those chocolaty fingers...love the DOF. I'm bettin' they are thrilled! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    What a cutie! Really cute set Lynne, and your conversions are always wonderful. Nice to work with happy children rolleyes1.gif . I have to admit though, no one wears chocolate cake quite as well as your Harry!!!! :D
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    These are all nice, but that last one is *really* cute. I also really like #4 because I seem to be on the giving end of that so often. mwink.gif
    Chris
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Very nice Lynne
    Toddlers are so much fun to shoot :D Nice series......take it from a grandpa (pics soon to come..Laughing.gif)
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Complete adorableness! I love his little spiky hair and all the different expressions you caught. Your conversions are fab-u-lous. And those chocolaty fingers...love the DOF. I'm bettin' they are thrilled! clap.gif

thank you Elaine!!! The conversions were all done in Lr (contrasty BW + warm BW) and then tweak the black level to taste. I'm so excited you like them!
    chrisj wrote:
    These are all nice, but that last one is *really* cute. I also really like #4 because I seem to be on the giving end of that so often. mwink.gif
    thanks Chris! I love that last one too, mostly because I've been trying very hard to get nice catchlights straight out of camera, and I was really happy with how that one turned out! Thanks for looking!
    saurora wrote:
    What a cutie! Really cute set Lynne, and your conversions are always wonderful. Nice to work with happy children rolleyes1.gif . I have to admit though, no one wears chocolate cake quite as well as your Harry!!!!
    thanks Susan!!! I don't know, I think the younger babies wear it so much better, they look so much more innocent (as opposed to just plain dirty)! But i was definitely glad I had practice! :D
    Swartzy wrote:
    Toddlers are so much fun to shoot Nice series......take it from a grandpa (pics soon to come..Laughing.gif)
    I agree, once they hit that ~1yr mark they get infinitely more fun to shoot (if you have the energy to keep up with them!) They have so much personality and interact more. Can't wait to see more of your grandson! it's been too long! thanks for looking, Dave.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    These are so awesome! I love the cake ones... And that's so cool that you got to do those types of shots!

Awesome!!! (And nice to see more shoots from you again!)
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Some terrific shots Lynne!! What were you using for settings on this? AV Mode? thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Lynne bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    edited March 10, 2008
    @photogmomma: thanks chickadee!! It does feel good to be "working again" ...Laughing.gif

@Rbrogen: Thank you! I shot these in Manual mode, ISO 400 - 800, 580EXII on bracket for fill (on all but the window shots) with the Sto-fen Omni bounce.

Gotta love that snow outside, sure helps the exposures and catchlights inside! :D

@Andy: Wow thanks, I'm so flattered you stopped by my thread! iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    When I began thinking of photography as more than a hobby, I never once imagined myself doing children's portraits. I really did not see that one coming. I admit though that I enjoy it. It is especially a luxury to have a "repeat client" who appreciates my work enough to entrust me to capture her children at various stages in their lives. You too, I am sure, relish the opportunities to record this little guy's life for his family.

These definately appear to have been fun...and you captured the moments well.

1-I like the toothy grin and smiling eyes. It is warm, but IMO not overly so. It appears from the catchlight and shadows that you used a bracket mounted flash. If so, you did well with balancing the power and temp. with the BG. Great job.

2-I like the implications here. He is warily exploring the outside world from the safety of home. Superb. My only nit would be to get all of his right hand, and maybe a tad more room on the right to let us see more of what he is peering out at.

3-I am liking the lines and tilt. Very nice composition. You nearly nipped a foot, but I think it is safe!! The lines all point to him, or frame him. I am not sure about the color though. I know you recently had a camera in the shop, and would guess that this is the same camera. The interior colors look fine, but the grass has exposed an awful white color.....rolleyes1.gif .....at least on my monitor!!!:D

4-This one makes me dizzy. I am not sure if it is that he is upside down, the angle altogether, or the fact that I cannot see Mom's face. He seems a little dizzy too.

5-Yup. I was thinking that he could be a handful in the first photo. This one strengthens my position there. I like it all...conversion, composition, and the expression.

6- I am sure you have noticed this. The fridge art...removed...would change the look of this photo completely. Major judgment call on your part whether to do it or not. It would be an easy decision if you had shot these in your own home.....but since it is his home, it makes you want to leave it there. Another fun moment. He is lost completely in that dancing candle flame isn't he.

7-Moist and rich...my favorite two food groups.

8-This is far and away my favorite of this set. Awesome!!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Overall I think these are just great!!! You handled the BGs well considering being inside a home rather than in a studio....and as usual you have captured some classic photographs for his family to enjoy for generations.

Great job!!!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    I love everything about this set. Great compositions, unique angles and top notch PP. Great work!!!clap.gif

WTG, Lynne!
    edited March 12, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    These definately appear to have been fun...and you captured the moments well.
    Definitely the most fun I've had with this guy! Thanks for your encouragement!
    1-I like the toothy grin and smiling eyes. It is warm, but IMO not overly so. It appears from the catchlight and shadows that you used a bracket mounted flash. If so, you did well with balancing the power and temp. with the BG. Great job.
    I actually didn't gel here...and no bracket just the flash tilted up 45 degrees with a diffuser. I'm glad you liked it though! I wish it was sharper, not sure what happened there.
    2-I like the implications here. He is warily exploring the outside world from the safety of home. Superb. My only nit would be to get all of his right hand, and maybe a tad more room on the right to let us see more of what he is peering out at.
    If they like it I would PS in the rest of his hand, I just don't spend time anymore perfecting photos that don't get chosen...call me lazy rolleyes1.gif
    3-I am liking the lines and tilt. Very nice composition. You nearly nipped a foot, but I think it is safe!! The lines all point to him, or frame him. I am not sure about the color though. I know you recently had a camera in the shop, and would guess that this is the same camera. The interior colors look fine, but the grass has exposed an awful white color.....rolleyes1.gif .....at least on my monitor!!!:D
    Laughing.gif...good one!!!! I liked this series a lot, too. The colors in their house work really well i think.
    4-This one makes me dizzy. I am not sure if it is that he is upside down, the angle altogether, or the fact that I cannot see Mom's face. He seems a little dizzy too.
    maybe if you turned your monitor upside down? rolleyes1.gif
    5-Yup. I was thinking that he could be a handful in the first photo. This one strengthens my position there. I like it all...conversion, composition, and the expression.
    One of my faves! He's totally "on stage" here...where most toddlers implode when there's a lot of attention/pressure, he just turns it up a notch! Gotta love it!
    6- I am sure you have noticed this. The fridge art...removed...would change the look of this photo completely.
    I think I am in an idealist phase....leaving the slice of life "as-is" photography. But I agree with you it would clean up the photo visually, but I don't think it would be as real. completely subjective, and in a month I may change my mind!
    8-This is far and away my favorite of this set. Awesome!!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    thanks! I am just so glad he got some in his hair, I think it makes the photo. :D
    Overall I think these are just great!!! You handled the BGs well considering being inside a home rather than in a studio....and as usual you have captured some classic photographs for his family to enjoy for generations.

Great job!!!
    thank you Jeff!!! I was very thankful for great light indoors, and it is very helpful to have a beautiful home to photograph in. Thanks again for your awesome crit! clap.gif You've been doing some amazing work and I appreciate your opinion.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited March 12, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    I love everything about this set. Great compositions, unique angles and top notch PP. Great work!!!clap.gif

WTG, Lynne!

thanks Mitch!!

I really didn't do much PP at all. But thank you for the kind words! Coming from such a talented guy, that means a lot! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    You are the Best !! wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery