Hooked on your input. More daughter pics.

harrylewharrylew Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited March 10, 2008 in People
Hi, everybody,

I'm really enjoying and learning from everybody's input on my photos. Unlike some other sites, you just don't say "nice shot" and leave it at that. You actually give specific criticism -- and positive feedback -- which is invaluable.

OK, I'm coming back to the well. Tell me what you think of the results of today's session. My daughter happened to be wearing a purple shirt. I also noticed she had put a purple blanket on the floor. So I thought the purple on purple effect might be interesting. Plus, I wanted to test out a new portrait lens I bought recently . . . the Zeiss 85 1.4, which I use on my Sony A700. As it turned out, I never got her to pose with much of the blanket in the background . . . oh well. And I had trouble with stray hair and a faint trace of food on her mouth. This is what happens when your child is young and you just grab opportunities when you can. Details fall by the wayside.

Anyway, here's what I came up with.

BTW, I'm having a lot of difficulty cloning out stray hairs. Can anyone share tips? Thnx.

263877511_4uy9c-L.jpg

263870270_eSPqw-L.jpg

263870203_iLgCK-L.jpg

263870232_yQF6c-L.jpg

http://harryjohn.smugmug.com/photos/263874515_9WWTU-L.jpg

263870140_UgATW-L.jpg

263874515_9WWTU-L.jpg
Harry
"Too many lenses, not enough time."

Comments

• muyguapomuyguapo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    The last one is my favorite. On #5, I think the focus should be on the girl and not the flute, assuming she is the subject of the photo and not the toy flute. I also think some fill flash would eliminate some of the facial shadows.
  • SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Harry -

These shots are great! I love the way you've gotten in tight on your daughter. Lots of photographers lament their cluttered backgrounds and you avoided that completely and at the same time focused on her personality as reflected in her eyes.

As for the focus on her hands and the musical instrument...I like it! She's focused on it and so did you. It probably wouldn't stand alone for a magazine cover shot but as part of a series... I think it works great.

And finally, I'd like to learn how to deal with stray hairs also, but in this case.... stray hair looks perfectly fine on a little girl.

Overall.... good job!thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    I love your daughter's eyes. They are so sparkley! My favorite is #3! I love the way she is coming at the camera. It has some real energy. I just wish there was a smidge more DOF to it.

Are you shooting raw yet? Take the plunge and try it. It is way easier than I ever thought it could be. That will solve a lot of white balance issues and make a lot of other changes super simple.

Also... it would make it easier for us dummies to comment if you could number your pics. That way we don't have to waste any of our "valuable brain cells" on counting.mwink.gif

Anyway! I am looking forward to see what you got coming our way because I can bet it is going to be good!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Don't worry about stray hairs with this cutie!

I like these photos, but they could use more light in her eyes. Try a reflector for your natural light shots. I think these could also use a bit more contrast for some added pop.

Good job with these tight crops. They certainly make these portraits more interesting.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    I like these shots.....and contrary to one comment above, the focus on the flute in that one shot is what makes the shot. My only critique is how your daughter is centered in every shot. Now and then I will come across a shot in session that looks good with the subject centered, but I would urge you to try including the rule of thirds the next time you photograph someone.

As Heather mentioned, shooting in raw might help you with the color temp issues, but otherwise that new lens did a good job.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    That first one is amazing! She is so fantastic in front of the camera. The lighting is best in this one too. Her eyes are lit up and the exposure looks really nice.

The WB does seem a bit cold in all of these...something RAW and/or a program such as Lightroom could fix easily.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    harrylew wrote:
    BTW, I'm having a lot of difficulty cloning out stray hairs. Can anyone share tips?

Zoom in to 500 - 600% and start cloning at the pixel level. Not much else you
    can do. Keep an eye on a 50 - 100% version of the file while you're working
    (open another copy of the image). Most of these are easy, but the ones that
    go across an eye are going to be a pain.
  • harrylewharrylew Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Muy Guapo . . .
    Thanks for the comment. I'm not crazy about flash, but maybe I'll experiment with just a touch of fill. Re: the flute. I hear what you're saying. I guess I was looking to do something offbeat and also test out the new lens' bokeh. So I deliberately focused on her fingers. I guess I learned a lot more about the lens than I communicated about her!
    muyguapo wrote:
    The last one is my favorite. On #5, I think the focus should be on the girl and not the flute, assuming she is the subject of the photo and not the toy flute. I also think some fill flash would eliminate some of the facial shadows.
    Harry
    edited March 10, 2008
    Thanks, Heather. . .
    . . . for the encouragement.

I agree with your DOF comment. I shot wide open at 1.4. But I now see that in a shot like that . . . with me looking down at her . . . it would be better to have the entire plane of the face in focus and then have the blur start below the face

No, I'm not shooting RAW. But I plan to start soon.

I also think I have a monitor calibration issue, because on my computer these shots are fairly warm, but others have said they're a bit too cool. So add calibrating to my to-do list!
    I love your daughter's eyes. They are so sparkley! My favorite is #3! I love the way she is coming at the camera. It has some real energy. I just wish there was a smidge more DOF to it.

Are you shooting raw yet? Take the plunge and try it. It is way easier than I ever thought it could be. That will solve a lot of white balance issues and make a lot of other changes super simple.

Also... it would make it easier for us dummies to comment if you could number your pics. That way we don't have to waste any of our "valuable brain cells" on counting.mwink.gif

Anyway! I am looking forward to see what you got coming our way because I can bet it is going to be good!
    Harry
    edited March 10, 2008
    Saltfork, I need to . . .
    . . . keep things in perspective. Not shooting a Cosmo cover, after all!
    SaltFork wrote:
    stray hair looks perfectly fine on a little girl.
    thumb.gif
    Harry
    edited March 10, 2008
    Mitchell. . .appreciate the tips.
    A reflector is a good idea. Problem is I rarely get enough time to set one up. It's hard balancing a young child's attention span with the need to set up the ideal shooting conditions. That's why the pros make the big bucks!

Mitchell wrote:
    Don't worry about stray hairs with this cutie!

I like these photos, but they could use more light in her eyes. Try a reflector for your natural light shots. I think these could also use a bit more contrast for some added pop.

Good job with these tight crops. They certainly make these portraits more interesting.
    Harry
    edited March 10, 2008
    Question about Rule of Thirds
    Do you mean that the face should be at the top third area of the picture?
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    I My only critique is how your daughter is centered in every shot. Now and then I will come across a shot in session that looks good with the subject centered, but I would urge you to try including the rule of thirds the next time you photograph someone.
    Harry
    edited March 10, 2008
    Bernard, thanks for the . . .
    . . . cloning tips. Let me give them a shot.
    pyrtek wrote:
    Zoom in to 500 - 600% and start cloning at the pixel level. Not much else you
    can do. Keep an eye on a 50 - 100% version of the file while you're working
    (open another copy of the image). Most of these are easy, but the ones that
    go across an eye are going to be a pain.
    Harry
    edited March 10, 2008
    Thanks, all. . .
    You've given me lots to think about and practice on. Thanks so much.
    harrylew wrote:
    Hi, everybody,

I'm really enjoying and learning from everybody's input on my photos. Unlike some other sites, you just don't say "nice shot" and leave it at that. You actually give specific criticism -- and positive feedback -- which is invaluable.

OK, I'm coming back to the well. Tell me what you think of the results of today's session. My daughter happened to be wearing a purple shirt. I also noticed she had put a purple blanket on the floor. So I thought the purple on purple effect might be interesting. Plus, I wanted to test out a new portrait lens I bought recently . . . the Zeiss 85 1.4, which I use on my Sony A700. As it turned out, I never got her to pose with much of the blanket in the background . . . oh well. And I had trouble with stray hair and a faint trace of food on her mouth. This is what happens when your child is young and you just grab opportunities when you can. Details fall by the wayside.

Anyway, here's what I came up with.

BTW, I'm having a lot of difficulty cloning out stray hairs. Can anyone share tips? Thnx.

263877511_4uy9c-L.jpg

263870270_eSPqw-L.jpg

263870203_iLgCK-L.jpg

263870232_yQF6c-L.jpg

http://harryjohn.smugmug.com/photos/263874515_9WWTU-L.jpg

263870140_UgATW-L.jpg

263874515_9WWTU-L.jpg
    Harry