Challenge 35- Lust and Wrath

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited April 3, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello,
I tried my hand at the seven deadly sins. These are the three I have come up with so far. I have to work on them a bit more but I was hoping I could get some feed back on them. Sorry if I offend anyone, not my intention. Thanks! And yes I have a thing for red. ;)
Ashley
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    And
    Green is the way to be!
    edited March 26, 2005
    Lastly
    Green is the way to be!
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    The first photo would be my favorite, the red tint aludes to the evilness.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    These are the first plausible entries I've seen. St. Thomas would approve (err... disapprove.)
    If not now, when?
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    I think you made a valiant effort. I think the second one would be enhanced great ly if ya toned the level of red down but I like the concept.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Hello,
    I tried my hand at the seven deadly sins. These are the three I have come up with so far. I have to work on them a bit more but I was hoping I could get some feed back on them. Sorry if I offend anyone, not my intention. Thanks! And yes I have a thing for red. ;)
    Ashley
    They're all good, but the first one is the best. (IMO)

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 26, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I think you made a valiant effort. I think the second one would be enhanced great ly if ya toned the level of red down but I like the concept.
    I totally agree. The red is just a touch over-saturated. I know this is what you are going for, but it makes you lose detail on the lower portion of the tank top. this happens to red all the time. Tone it down just a little and that's a winner.

Also: try a closer crop. the lines of the closet in the background are definitely distracting. I think a close crop in portrait orientation would really isolate the people and give an even bigger bang.

It sure says LUST though. Gotta agree with Rutt, first entry I've seen that really hits it.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 27, 2005
    So, my eyes hurt from have to stare at my computer screen to isolate the shirt again. *Blinks*. But I have muted down the red, cropped the picture and tried to dull the distracting background. Tell me what you think.
    Ashley
    SMILE!
    Green is the way to be!
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2005
    OK I like #2 and #3, but only cause I'm a guy :D

However #1 is as far as I can see ROCKS for the challenge thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    I like the lust ones, the first one does not nail it for me like lust does.rolleyes1.gif

Great,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Oh I LOVE #2!!clap.gif

It's gorgeous! I like #1 too but #2 is defnately my favouritethumb.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 28, 2005
    So, my eyes hurt from have to stare at my computer screen to isolate the shirt again. *Blinks*. But I have muted down the red, cropped the picture and tried to dull the distracting background. Tell me what you think.
    Ashley
    SMILE!
    Nice (re)work! Exactly what I was thinking thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    2 and 3 are hot.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 29, 2005
    #1 is probably the best so far. But #2 has some real potential. I think you could
    try something like this for the selective color. Make it subtle though.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Ashley
    SMILE!
    I really like the rework of number 2 (although I think the red is still a little too saturated) It is my favorite! Although, number 1 for Anger is also quite good.
    Both excellent ideas and execution!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Since these are the sins, let me play devil's advocate. Why use selective color in #2? Wouldn't it be a striking shot in full color? Why is the dress more interesting than the people? What does the full color shot look like?
    If not now, when?
  • brucenzbrucenz Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    2nd photo favourite
    I like the 2nd photo - that just says "sex" while the first one is too creepy for me. Though a great effort.
    edited March 30, 2005
    Good question Rutt.
    I had a couple reasons for choosing black and white and selective color.
    1) The lighting was kinda bad, that was the only picture that turned out half alright
    2)The orginal color of the shirt of light green not red(and I think red adds something)
    3) I wanted to experiment, in the same context Andy uses when he says he gets inspired in his digital dark room (thought I must say I wanted to experiment long before I heard the comment)
    4) The black and white and selective color give it a dramatic effect the orginal just doesn't have...
    See, I don't know if I want to show the orginal. I'm not proud of the orginal picture as much as I'm proud of the work I did the selective color one and I like showing my best on this site.
    Anyway, I need to think over if I want to post the orginal. Hope this message will suffice for now.
    Thanks,
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    edited March 30, 2005
    Laurie and the rest...
    So, I destrated it even more, hard because red catches my eye so much but here ismy second try...
    Green is the way to be!
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    I personally like the red. Stands for sin, IMO. My mind is not distracted by the red, the most noticeable part to me is the skin between the pants and the top.

Wish I were young again.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited March 30, 2005
    So, I destrated it even more, hard because red catches my eye so much but here ismy second try...
    Perfect! I love it!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited April 2, 2005
    Ginger and Laurie,
    Thank you both, what I did end up doing after asking a couple of other people about the picture was to reduce the whiteness of the skin between the tank top and pants... it's in the challenge thread... I don't know how much difference you can tell but I didn't want to go too far (I tend to get carried away with such things), so I hope that maybe with that done the red won't look so distracting. Thanks a lot for your help!
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    edited April 2, 2005
    Ginger and Laurie,
    Thank you both, what I did end up doing after asking a couple of other people about the picture was to reduce the whiteness of the skin between the tank top and pants... it's in the challenge thread... I don't know how much difference you can tell but I didn't want to go too far (I tend to get carried away with such things), so I hope that maybe with that done the red won't look so distracting. Thanks a lot for your help!
    Ashley
    I think that makes it much better...not so glarey (yes, I know that's not a word!ne_nau.gif ). I have to say that you have nailed this challenge! Well done!! thumb.gif

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    I have to say that you have nailed this challenge! Well done!!

I absolutely agree! I'm very impressed by the progression from the original post to the challenge submission. You have my vote. Nice work!

mel thumb.gif