Outside Winslow, Az., near the Crater.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited March 15, 2008 in Landscapes
From what I understand, this was once a jailhouse. All I know is that there is still a bathtub inside.

I took this with my P&S, pre-DSLR. Post precessing included a crop, levels and sharpening. Your C&C?

dscn1555-web.jpg
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Hi Lee, what an interesting ruin! Bathtub, you say? I wonder if it was just too heavy to cart out of there. lol3.gif

I think the composition you have has a lot of potential, but the light is very "meh." I could see a really dramatic sunset or a sunrise with the walls being silhouetted - of course this depends entirely on if it's facing the right way.

Thanks for sharing!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I like it...it looks so alone out there.

Did you take any photos looking in with the tub sitting there?
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Thank you.

Schmoo, the tub was even heavier when I saw it - it was half full of rocks. :D Disregarding the boring sky, what would you recommend for the composition? As it is, I cropped out some of the foreground.

Dogdots, no I didn't. I should have, though. In case you're still wondering, it's just inside the left wall and toward the back, in a small room facing same from the inside.

I wish I'd had more time to stay there. I was visiting with family who live in Sedona, and we stopped here about midday on our way from the Crater to the Grand Canyon. I took this shot facing north. It was Thanksgiving weekend.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Hey- that place looks familiar :D

80573204_FHRDH-L.jpg

Saw that place 2 years ago just before the 4th of July. Some old cars right there too and some others a short distance off the road to Meteor Crater.

Hope you enjoyed your time in AZ.

Midday with cloudless skies is very common in AZ. Not much you could have done - it is just too harsh.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited March 14, 2008
    hey! You got the tub in the picture, too! Schmoo! There it is! rolleyes1.gif

Yes! There were a few old cars laying about. I believe one was a '58 Chevy. Closer to the road, there were a few more. They looked like they were from the late '30s - early '40s. I wanted to get closer for a few shots, but there were a few of those pesky "No Trespassing" signs.

Maybe if I can get back there during monsoon season. That'd be cool!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

edited March 14, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Hey- that place looks familiar :D

80573204_FHRDH-L.jpg

Saw that place 2 years ago just before the 4th of July. Some old cars right there too and some others a short distance off the road to Meteor Crater.

Hope you enjoyed your time in AZ.

Midday with cloudless skies is very common in AZ. Not much you could have done - it is just too harsh.

I see the tub clap.gif That is fascinating that the tub is still there. Wonder what this building was headscratch.gif
    edited March 14, 2008
    My sister, whom I was visiting in Sedona, said it used to be a jailhouse. I can't verify that.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

edited March 15, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    My sister, whom I was visiting in Sedona, said it used to be a jailhouse. I can't verify that.

Jailhouse....I can picture it being that at one time.