Changing Domain nameserver is ok for custom domain?

jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
edited March 10, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I followed the instructions on domain forwarding with custom domain name.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3710269

I have my domain name setup with yahoo but my ISP host is with another company. The instructions said to reset the NamesServers to default yahoo hosts. My namesservers originally had servers of my ISP.

I just want to be sure my original website www.SweetDreamsStudio.com will still work with my ISP even though I reset the namesserver. Don't I need to nameserver pointing to my ISP?

I used photos.SweetDreamsStudio.com pointing to www.smugmug.com
I guess i will wait to see if this works.

Also i noticed when i typed in photos.SweetDreamsStudio.com right now it came up with an advertising page I never seen before. I thought I owned my domain so would you know why is this advertising page coming up?

Comments

• docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 10, 2008
    Hi,

When I go to the custom domain (photos.SweetDreamsStudio.com) you have pointed at SmugMug site I was taken to your SmugMug site. That appears to be working correctly. When I go to www.sweetdreamsstudios.com I am getting the Yahoo park page.

So it appears that a setting you changed broke the pointing of your domain to your website. Where is your webpages hosted? Are you using the web hosting that wame with your ISP account? If so, you may need to find out what the settings need to be so that they can be reset at Yahoo. In your case, I would leave the nameservers set up the way they were.

The instructions are written for some who wants to use their SmugMug site as the primary webpage.

If you need more help, send me an email at the SmugMug help desk. I may need to get your login information for the domain host so that I can check the settings.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    Hi,

When I go to the custom domain (photos.SweetDreamsStudio.com) you have pointed at SmugMug site I was taken to your SmugMug site. That appears to be working correctly. When I go to www.sweetdreamsstudios.com I am getting the Yahoo park page.

So it appears that a setting you changed broke the pointing of your domain to your website. Where is your webpages hosted? Are you using the web hosting that wame with your ISP account? If so, you may need to find out what the settings need to be so that they can be reset at Yahoo. In your case, I would leave the nameservers set up the way they were.

The instructions are written for some who wants to use their SmugMug site as the primary webpage.

If you need more help, send me an email at the SmugMug help desk. I may need to get your login information for the domain host so that I can check the settings.

--Doc

My webhosting is with hostgator.com and they have nameservers that end in hostgator- i will have to look what the values were.
    My domain name was purchased from yahoo

It is misleading because the instructions say to reset the nameserver even if its different and that it was ok to use another site as the primary address eg www.sweetdreamsstudio.com as my primary and photos.sweetdreamsstudio.com pointing to smugmug.
    I just want to have domain url integrated so it does not say smugmug in the URL like photos.sweetdreamsstudio.com or even sweetdreamsstudio.com/photos/
    I think have seen other sites that do this.
    How do i do this if i switch name server back to my ISP?
    What is email for smugmug helpdesk? Thanks
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 10, 2008
    Sorry for not including the email. I forgot to include that. The email for the help desk is here. http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

The nameserver should be less of a problem than the CNAME and A settings. We really need to check those settings. The CNAME and A records determines where the domain is pointed.

Setting the nameserver makes sure that you are able to edit the settings. In some cases Yahoo will not have the nameservers set correctly and you cannot edit the settings. I will be revising the Yahoo instructions soon and I will check those instructions to see if they are still valid.

Give me a shout at the help desk and we will get this working again for you.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    docwalker wrote:
    Sorry for not including the email. I forgot to include that. The email for the help desk is here. http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

The nameserver should be less of a problem than the CNAME and A settings. We really need to check those settings. The CNAME and A records determines where the domain is pointed.

Setting the nameserver makes sure that you are able to edit the settings. In some cases Yahoo will not have the nameservers set correctly and you cannot edit the settings. I will be revising the Yahoo instructions soon and I will check those instructions to see if they are still valid.

Give me a shout at the help desk and we will get this working again for you.

--Doc

ok i have changed the DNS back to hostgator values.
    There were textboxes to add 2 additional nameservers but I left those blank- not sure if i should include all yahoo and hostgator names in there since I left those fields blank.
    And I just sent you email to helpdesk
    Let me know how i can resolve this. Thanks