Raw, noise and the D300

HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited March 10, 2008 in Cameras
I originally posted this is Finishing School, but realize it may belong here.

I recently upgraded to the Nikon D300 (from D70 and love it) and have been doing research on the noise reduction settings in the D300 but have now learned that some settings may not work for me. I shoot exclusively in RAW and do conversions in ACR and post in PSCS3. The noise settings in the D300 include "High ISO Noise Reduction" and "Long Exposure Noise Reduction". I believe that both these adjustments have to do with jpeg images and will have no real effect on my RAW images in-camera. Is that correct?

And if so, then however the camera handles noise for shooting RAW is how it handles it and if there is excessive noise I will need to deal with it in post. The D300 is certainly better at noise than the D70, but I still do find some noise in long exposures, which is about all I've done so far.

Currently I'm using Noise Ninja for all noise handling and do like it, but haven't tried the Capture NX I got with the camera.

Any collaboration of this information or more enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks!
Failed to load the poll.