WTB: prime lenses

tmhartertmharter Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited April 24, 2008 in The Other Guys
I'm pretty much a novice at lenses. I am looking to purchase one or two fast primes for my camera. I have a Pentax K100D. I'm thinking I could use a 50mm, ~100mm or something in between. One shooting subject I need a fast lens for is kids basketball. I'm close to the court so I often am using 50mm or less. For something at the other end of the court, I use about 150mm. But my shutter is set so slow and my ISO is so high, I would rather just do 50mm, and crop as necessary. I really prefer to use no flash for a lot of other indoor stuff. Like I said, I'm a novice at the lenses. I've been trying to read up on the subject, but I am afraid I am at the point I know enough to sound like a real idiot when I ask a question!
Also, I am not rolling in the $$$. I am happy to work with manual focus, etc in order to try new things. I hate to spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks, when I am not yet technically ready.
So... if anyone has any advice or leads I would be greatly appreciative.

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Have you got a good photography store in your area? Here in Charlotte we've got two and they have TONS of used, older lenses. Particularly if you're looking for manual focus you can really get a deal on some primes. I've seen 1.7 and 2.4s for $30-$50 in the range you're looking for.

Another thing to do is check on Craigslist in your area. People are often getting rid of old lenses that belonged to their parents or a relative, or that they found in the attic.
  • RobburritoRobburrito Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2008
    Did you ever have any luck finding some primes? Probably the best place online is KEH.com, they are pretty much devoted to used camera gear. B & H also has a good size collection of used lenses, just go to the used gear section of their website.

The SMC-A Pentax 50/1.7 is a great K-mount lens that will fit right on your K100 and can even be used in full auto mode. Pentax M42 screwmount lenses will also work great in manual mode, You just need a simple m42- K mount adapter. The Super Takumar/ SMC Takumar 50/1.4 is the best of these. The SMC Takumar 55/1.8 is a great lens that is often bargain priced, due to everyone wanting the 50/1.4.

You can always do ebay too, but the risk of getting a lemon is higher there.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    where in charlotte
    I live in charlotte as well, what are the names of these 2, just making sure i haven't missed something!! ne_nau.gif
    Pupator wrote:
    Have you got a good photography store in your area? Here in Charlotte we've got two and they have TONS of used, older lenses. Particularly if you're looking for manual focus you can really get a deal on some primes. I've seen 1.7 and 2.4s for $30-$50 in the range you're looking for.

Another thing to do is check on Craigslist in your area. People are often getting rid of old lenses that belonged to their parents or a relative, or that they found in the attic.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    barrotj wrote:
    I live in charlotte as well, what are the names of these 2, just making sure i haven't missed something!! ne_nau.gif

Bigg's and Charlotte Camera World. I mostly just go to Biggs though.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    tmharter wrote:
    I'm pretty much a novice at lenses. I am looking to purchase one or two fast primes for my camera. I have a Pentax K100D. I'm thinking I could use a 50mm, ~100mm or something in between. One shooting subject I need a fast lens for is kids basketball. I'm close to the court so I often am using 50mm or less. For something at the other end of the court, I use about 150mm. But my shutter is set so slow and my ISO is so high, I would rather just do 50mm, and crop as necessary. I really prefer to use no flash for a lot of other indoor stuff. Like I said, I'm a novice at the lenses. I've been trying to read up on the subject, but I am afraid I am at the point I know enough to sound like a real idiot when I ask a question!
    Also, I am not rolling in the $$$. I am happy to work with manual focus, etc in order to try new things. I hate to spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks, when I am not yet technically ready.
    So... if anyone has any advice or leads I would be greatly appreciative.

The Pentax 50mm f/1.4 is an amazingly highly regarded lens and should be available just about anywhere that Pentax lenses are sold. It's around ~$200. Here are some user reviews.

I also have a K100D and I'm saving up for one, myself. Unfortunately, there's not a good Pentax store near me, so I'll probably end up buying online from Adorama or BH Photo.