Category Groups and Keywords

J WinnJ Winn Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited March 11, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Question 1

I have read with great interest about the keywording issue to make your site more visible to google etc for my customer searches. I have a couple hundred galleries and I was wondering if the bulk keyword tool can apply the same keywords to every photo on my site at one time?

Question 2

Due to the size of some of the events I do, I have to use Category, Subcats and Galleries on nearly everything. For example I may cover 3 different soccer tournaments and each one will have it's own category name. Is there a way to group categories into one clickable item? Let's say I wanted to group those 3 categories into one thing labeled "Soccer Tournaments". Is that possible?

Thank you in advance.

Joe

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Hi Joe,
    J Winn wrote:
    Question 1
    I have read with great interest about the keywording issue to make your site more visible to google etc for my customer searches. I have a couple hundred galleries and I was wondering if the bulk keyword tool can apply the same keywords to every photo on my site at one time?
    The bulk keywording tool only works on a gallery basis. You could use it to add keywords to photos in a gallery, but I wouldn't recommend adding keywords to your photos unless they're relevant for the photos. For example, adding the same keyword to every photo on your site might be seen as keyword spaming by search engines. That would result in ranking your site lower and in the worst case scenario, the search engine would remove your site as a punishment.
    Question 2
    Due to the size of some of the events I do, I have to use Category, Subcats and Galleries on nearly everything. For example I may cover 3 different soccer tournaments and each one will have it's own category name. Is there a way to group categories into one clickable item? Let's say I wanted to group those 3 categories into one thing labeled "Soccer Tournaments". Is that possible?
    No, we don't offer an additional level of hierarchy. If you would like to do something like that, you could create a separate gallery as a html-only gallery and add links to all 3 categories in it. Then you could feature this gallery in order to present it as a landing page for your soccer tournaments. For details on how to create a html-only gallery page, have a look at #42 of our customization faq:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/customize-faq.mg

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero