• LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    great concept
    great execution
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Yep..sure works for me
    Nice processing on this Jeff...looks like a deviation of a LR preset...cool reflection too! mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    LittleLew wrote:
    great concept
    great execution

Thanks!!
    edited March 11, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Nice processing on this Jeff...looks like a deviation of a LR preset...cool reflection too! mwink.gif

It was done in LR.

The texture is actually the texture on the surface of the guitar. You wouldn't normally see this from more than a few feet away. This is my son's guitar. Mine is a natural maple on top with a flat to semi-gloss finish...so it would not have worked.

My original intent was to use window light for my face, but that wasn't working either. An on camera flash bounced off a nearby wall did the trick.

The white specks are dust even though I thouroghly cleaned it prior to trying this.

I envy folks like photogmomma(Andi) who can put together an entire gallery of inventive and clever SPs. It is not an easy task. I probably tossed 30 frames for this one.
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    cool Jeff. Like it. Maybe like it a little better if we could see at least one of your eyes, but that's just a nit. Great idea.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
    edited March 11, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    cool Jeff. Like it. Maybe like it a little better if we could see at least one of your eyes, but that's just a nit. Great idea.

Jim

I agree about the eye......but

The lighting may not have provided much there....and...the biggie....trying to line an eye up between those strings might take another 50 exposures!!! mwink.gif

I will have to work on that next time. (if there is a next time)

Thanks for commenting.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    I like it. Very creative and good execution. I agree with everyone else about the eyes. Still, thumb.gif
    Chris
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Oh, very cool! Great colors and processing and very cleverly composed! Looks like you're off to a great SP project, yes? :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited March 11, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Oh, very cool! Great colors and processing and very cleverly composed! Looks like you're off to a great SP project, yes? :D

Oh no!!! rolleyes1.gif

There is noooo-way. If this one is any indicator, I surely do not have the time or patience. ne_nau.gif

BTW, The shot was indoors. The light coming from a window, and a flash with my 1/2 CTB gel set to cloudy WB. Thought you would be interested in that info.

Also of note: I just noticed this....and it is the first time for me(with the 17-55). The purple-ish colors near the pinstripes around the soundhole. That is color fringing. It can and should have been corrected in LR, but I only now noticed. This is supposedly a common problem with the 17-55mm F2.8IS. It is also fairly common with the 85mm F1.8. In any event, it usually happens where a highlight and dark area meet. I had some wedding photos taken with the 85mm that had this in the area where the groom's white shirt met his dark blue coat collar.

Thanks for the comment Elaine.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Oh no!!! rolleyes1.gif

There is noooo-way. If this one is any indicator, I surely do not have the time or patience. ne_nau.gif

BTW, The shot was indoors. The light coming from a window, and a flash with my 1/2 CTB gel set to cloudy WB. Thought you would be interested in that info.

Also of note: I just noticed this....and it is the first time for me(with the 17-55). The purple-ish colors near the pinstripes around the soundhole. That is color fringing. It can and should have been corrected in LR, but I only now noticed. This is supposedly a common problem with the 17-55mm F2.8IS. It is also fairly common with the 85mm F1.8. In any event, it usually happens where a highlight and dark area meet. I had some wedding photos taken with the 85mm that had this in the area where the groom's white shirt met his dark blue coat collar.

Thanks for the comment Elaine.

I've noticed some fringing with my 85 but I haven't yet with the 17-55. Oh well...in this shot, I wouldn't have noticed. It just blends in with the other colors. thumb.gif

I hear ya about the patience part. One day I took about 30 shots of my feet for my sp project!!!! eek7.gif But then somedays, it would only take one shot. ne_nau.gif I wasn't nearly as clever as Andi, and I only went for the sp project for 6 months. Now I just do a daily thing, and sometimes I'm in the shot, sometimes not. Still, it's been an interesting journey, and I've only got 1 month and 2 days left before I make a year!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

That is what that is! I have been wondering! I just did a shoot on Sunday that had that issue on a couple of the shots and I have been wracking my brain to figure out how to fix that problem easily. (I don't have lightroom....yet) I was seriously about to start a thread asking for help to figure out what my problem was. (Well, my problem with that issue! Not sure ANYONE can help me with the rest! HaHa!) Thanks for being so detailed Jeffreaux!

Oh- and I LOOOVE your self portrait! When your creativity and sheer skills meet, it is a beautiful thing!
    edited March 11, 2008
    ...a rework

I dodged a bit to bring out the white of my eye, removed some more specks, softened some, corrected the color fringing...what else?
    Hmmm

Still an old guy in a guiter!!!

264741850_jdFTy-L.jpg
    edited March 11, 2008
    That is what that is! I have been wondering! I just did a shoot on Sunday that had that issue on a couple of the shots and I have been wracking my brain to figure out how to fix that problem easily. (I don't have lightroom....yet) I was seriously about to start a thread asking for help to figure out what my problem was. (Well, my problem with that issue! Not sure ANYONE can help me with the rest! HaHa!) Thanks for being so detailed Jeffreaux!

Not sure what to tell you for preventing it. A different aperature setting will behave differently. As for fixing it...well

Lightroom and also Adobe Camera Raw(ACR) have a tool for correcting. I did not use the tool in my rework. Since it is white on black here, I used the sponge tool set to desaturate and ran it over the areas where it was apparent. Then I used a warming filter in PSCS3 to add some warmth back into the white.

Oh- and I LOOOVE your self portrait! When your creativity and sheer skills meet, it is a beautiful thing!

Well that was real nice!!!

Thank you! iloveyou.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Ooh!!! VERY cool!!! I really love it!
    edited March 11, 2008
    Ooh!!! VERY cool!!! I really love it!

Aaaaahhhhh!!!

...and THAT from the master herself!!
    ..or would that be "mastress" ? :D

Thanks Andi
  • harrylewharrylew Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Like the idea a lot, but . . .
    I'm not crazy about the words on the label inside the guitar. Kind of fight with your face. But is it worth spending a bunch more time to remove? Naahhhhh.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Comments?

(EDIT)...reworked version on page two of this thread.

264680079_xqEL5-L.jpg
    Harry
    "Too many lenses, not enough time."
    edited March 11, 2008
    harrylew wrote:
    I'm not crazy about the words on the label inside the guitar. Kind of fight with your face. But is it worth spending a bunch more time to remove? Naahhhhh.

It is a bit more OOF in the reworked version.

I don't recall ever seeing an accoustic guitar without a branding label in that exact spot. There is no way I would remove it as it would devalue the guitar.

As for the photo...

It is what it is...a photo of a guitar with the reflection of course. The reflection just happens to be me.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Aaaaahhhhh!!!

...and THAT from the master herself!!
    ..or would that be "mastress" ? :D

Thanks Andi

As long as it's not Mistress! Laughing.gif!

Seriously, after having done... well...way too many, I know how hard it is to do them well! Bravo!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Fantastic!! wings.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    This is amazing Jeff! I love the creativity here. The colors are awesome, the fringing didn't bother me but it does look cleaner with it removed. I have issues with the 17-55 from time to time with this but mostly outdoors.

Sweet guitar btw. mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited March 12, 2008
    As long as it's not Mistress! Laughing.gif!

ssshhhhh!!!! rolleyes1.gif
    Seriously, after having done... well...way too many, I know how hard it is to do them well! Bravo!

Well my take on it is...

You have awakened creativity in anyone who has seen your project. Just flipping through them...viewing them...is easy. Actually setting up a camera and trying to do your own isn't as easy as it appears. I think weddings are much easier. We should all thank you....we have SEEN the light!!!
    edited March 12, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    This is amazing Jeff! I love the creativity here. The colors are awesome, the fringing didn't bother me but it does look cleaner with it removed. I have issues with the 17-55 from time to time with this but mostly outdoors.

Sweet guitar btw. mwink.gif

Thanks Lynne.

The guitar has some sentimental value. I bought it from the absolute coolest "mom-n-pop" music stop in the while world, Bee Bop Music Store. The store had been part of our downtown scene for generations. It was a hole in the wall of sorts where musicians would gather and play music in the store. A very "hands on" type of joint. At no cost, the owner made some adjustments to the neck and bridge to make it easier to fret for my son who was just learning at the time. Sweet!!!

Unfortunately I purchased it at a "going out of business" clearance sale. :cry

Other than that it is a run of the mill high gloss black Fender accoustic/electric....which if you are ever in Nashville be sure to tour their facilities! Americana at it's best!!!
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Yes, nice idea Jeff!

Among my reactions, was missing more of the idea of "guitar". A guitar is a musical instument played by hands. How would it be with some fingers in there? - sharp (compared with the reflection), your skin (but real, again, compared to the reflection), another bit of you, beside the reflected face. And a little more of the sense of the guitar being held, and "holding" you. If you see what I mean? More music, too, with the fingers. A tune. The image has some compexity already, but I think that complexity is underachieving.

Thanks, Jeff, and best wishes.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 12, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Yes, nice idea Jeff!

Among my reactions, was missing more of the idea of "guitar". A guitar is a musical instument played by hands. How would it be with some fingers in there? - sharp (compared with the reflection), your skin (but real, again, compared to the reflection), another bit of you, beside the reflected face. And a little more of the sense of the guitar being held, and "holding" you. If you see what I mean? More music, too, with the fingers. A tune. The image has some compexity already, but I think that complexity is underachieving.

Thanks, Jeff, and best wishes.

Neil

Hmmmmm,

I didn't even think of that. Might have been tough considering both hands were holding the camera!!!:D
    Maybe next time....

Thanks for looking and offering up ideas.thumb.gif