Options

DIY Light Box

ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
edited March 11, 2008 in Technique
Instead of saving *all* of my kids' artwork, I decided to take pictures of them. I realized that I would need some sort of controlled lighting to make them look good and vaguely consistant. I also wanted it to be cheap, and completely collapsible.

Items needed:
Card Table
Kitchen Table
Big Piece of White Paper (for backdrop)
Binder Clips
Painter's Blue Tape
White Sheet
Clip-on Lamp(s)
OPTIONAL: Black sheet/pillowcase

First, open up the card table and place it on the kitchen table (or some other suitable surface)
264705959_FYxyX-L.jpg

Next use binder clips to attach the piece of large paper to the card table. The paper I used was for a large format plotter. I'm sure there are a lot of alternatives.
264706124_Dubob-L.jpg

Next, use a little bit of blue tape to attach the paper to the ends of the card table legs. You can adjust the paper curve as you like it.
264706150_SMunv-L.jpg

Drape the white sheet over the card table to make a nice diffusing surface.
264706198_WwE9f-L.jpg

Attach clip-on lights where desired to illuminate the box. I have one on each side.
264705767_QyLVR-L.jpg
(I guess the chandelier is optional, too!)

Setup your camera on a tripod and place the object to be photographed into the box
264705492_DcZMb-L.jpg

Look at your results, and adjust the lights as needed
264705548_ABbww-L.jpg

(OPTIONAL) If you need to photograph a predominantly light colored object, use some blue tape to attach a black pillowcase to the backdrop.
264705656_UTBAG-L.jpg

That's it! Setup time is minimal, especially after you've done it once or twice. And it can be broken down and folded up quickly, too.

It's not perfect. But it's given me "good enough" results for my targets. Here's a gallery of some of my 2-year-old's art. :D
Chris

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Great Idea. It works too! The results look great.

I never thought of using a white sheet and frame (well, card table) for a giansize lightbox. I think I'll try it out myself. Black pillowcase - great!
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    clap.gifclapChris ! Nice work and good idea. Beautifull shot !:Dthumb.gifthumb
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Great DIY, Chris! thumb.gifclap.gif
    It really proves you don't have to spent gobs of moeny to get nice pics deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great DIY, Chris! thumb.gifclap.gif
    It really proves you don't have to spent gobs of moeny to get nice pics deal.gif

Indeed ... :D I can remember my bottles for example ...

But don't over do it. We always need a good camera. :D
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Indeed ... :D I can remember my bottles for example ...

But don't over do it. We always need a good camera. :D

1) Mind
    2) Light
    3) Optics (lens)
    4) Camera (body)

Always in this order...deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    1) Mind
    2) Light
    3) Optics (lens)
    4) Camera (body)

Always in this order...deal.gif

1) Health :D
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    1) Health :D
    Sorry, but it doesn't affect the photogrpahy. One can be on the death bad and still take awesome picture. OTOH, many a person full of health can't tell shutter from tripod...
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry, but it doesn't affect the photogrpahy. One can be on the death bad and still take awesome picture. OTOH, many a person full of health can't tell shutter from tripod...

You do know Nikolai that I answer you in these things.

When you are ill - desgraçado, malleureux, unhappy - you don't want to do anything.
    You are ill, in a bad mood. You don't have spirit to elevate a table over the other one, to cover them with white cloth, to be patient enough to build things, to work.

Unless you are an exception, but me, I, eu, ich, I can't work when I am ill.
    I don't have the mood, the will, the speed, the humour, the guts ... whatever.
    I just want to be good and Healthy quickly.

Man, have you ever been near to death ? Hope not. It's not nice.

We must appreciate well being while we are with it.

We must appreciate good and peasant moments of this so short and dangerous life we all are in.

What a philosopher I am today. I shut up. Now.

Let's go back to our soft box.:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 11, 2008
    Nicely done, Chris.

A pair of speedlites, in place of your tungsten lights, will give you much faster exposures also, with more depth of field.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    Man, have you ever been near to death ? Hope not. It's not nice.
    Yes, I was, more than once. It's not nice, I agree. But it doesn't change my point. Mind over matter.deal.gif
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    The thing I like about this diy-lightbox is that it can turn into a table after you're done with it. The ones I've made turned into.. well a big box in the corner of the room that really does nothing. rolleyes1.gif

Very cool indeed! I love the cheap fixes!
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Thanks darkdragon, Antonio (I've been following your lighting threads :D), Nik, Path, and Peas!

darkdragon: I bought a cheap black twin sheet set just for this. Get most of the wrinkles out in the dryer (or with an iron) and it looks fine.

Antonio & Nik: When I broke my collarbone, I realized how difficult it is to take pictures with an SLR... especially when it was my right arm that was immobile!

Path: Most of my objects are static, so exposure times aren't much of an issue. I use ISO 100, and f/11 max. A lot of the art is just a piece of paper, so even f/4 is overkill. But it also can be lumpy, so I tend to stick with f/8. I do have one Speedlight, but no off camera ability yet.

Peas: Yep, it can be a table... but it can also be folded up and put in the corner, which is what I do!
    Chris