edited March 28, 2005 in Holy Macro
This butterfly posed for me, usually they flutter away. Taken with my new 20D
18-55.

18290132-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    Very sharp. Even though its made as cheaply as possible, that kit lens takes some nice shots doesn't it?

Not to be a stickler, but I believe that's a moth. Amazingly there are so many beautiful moths out there. Many get mistaken as butterflies
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    In the words of Gildna Radner's Miss Emily Latilla, never mind.

It is a butterfly, looks to be an Eastern Tiger Swallow Tail
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    there is a way to tell butterfly from moth ,at rest one has wings up and the other wings out flat. moth I think is out flat and butterfly is up .but this very fine shot i agree is a butterfly not all rules are in concrete Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 27, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    there is a way to tell butterfly from moth ,at rest one has wings up and the other wings out flat. moth I think is out flat and butterfly is up .but this very fine shot i agree is a butterfly not all rules are in concrete Jeff

It is indeed a swallowtail - possilbly a Pale Tiger Swallowtail in the Nat Audubon Society Field Guide. I cannot find a listing there for an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail at all so that may be another name as well.

Swallowtails are common in the midwest - and a great subject for a DSLR
    6282606-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2005
    What A Pretty Butterfly
    Sandy wrote:
    This butterfly posed for me, usually they flutter away. Taken with my new 20D
    18-55.
    Hi Sandy......... Lovely Butterfly you have there.
    I put in some plants that attract butterflies to do their complete life cycle on, I put in 3 Swan Plants with the hope that just one would survive, and all three survived clap.gif these are know to attract the Monarch, we had them as kids, so hopefully this Spring the Monarchs will have sniffed my plants out and will move in :D dats da plan mwink.gif yup da master plan so I can take Pics :photo

Thanks for sharing Sandy....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Thank you for the comments. The point on the bottom of the butterfly's (moths) wing was gone, but the grass hit exactly the right spot so that it looks complete. Anyway I love butterflies and spring, not too many Monarchs this year. This could be a moth because of the wing shape. Pathfinder's butterfly rocks. The wings more like a butterfly's wings. I'm having a good time with the 20D.