Artistic Help?

JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited March 12, 2008 in Sports
I'm sure this isn't the right place to post this but I think this is a great place to start because of what it deals with. This question goes out to all the local track photographers.

What kind of design is used when they make those wild shirts, screenprinted, for the big time racers. Scott Bloomquist, Steve Francis ect. I am trying to convert several pictures to this style if at all possible.

Any help or direction for help would be greatly appreciated.
Jamie
JBHotShots.com
Facebook
7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX

Comments

• HirschHirsch Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Hi Jamie-
    Most of those shirts are actually drawn, using photo(s) for reference. I have had a couple drivers get photos from me to use for shirt reference. Here is the highest profile driver that has used one of my photos for reference. Sorry I don't have an image of the shirt.
    IMG_4399.jpg

Bonus points if you can name the driverclap.gif

Hope this helps.
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Hirsch wrote:
    Hi Jamie-
    Most of those shirts are actually drawn, using photo(s) for reference. I have had a couple drivers get photos from me to use for shirt reference. Here is the highest profile driver that has used one of my photos for reference. Sorry I don't have an image of the shirt.

Definitely does. That is kind of what I figured, I was just hoping I was wrong.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • vegasphotogvegasphotog Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Not entirely quite there yet, but, more and more direct to garmet digital printing is becoming legit versus screen printing....thus, you could apply various filters in photoshop to get a sort of rendition.....
    edited March 12, 2008
    ^^^^True. Although for long runs I think it is still aways off. We looked at the new epson garment printer. It was cool in some aspects, but slow if you wanted to print a lot of shirts. Also the image didn't want to last more than a few washes before there was significant image deterioration. Great for one-offs or short runs where longevity is not a concern. As always, IMHO. :D
    edited March 12, 2008
    thus, you could apply various filters in photoshop to get a sort of rendition.....

Any suggestions? I have used the poster edges before but it's not quite the "extreme" I was going for.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited March 12, 2008
    What are you wanting to do with the image you create? That will have some impact on how you want to go about making this design. Screen print? If so, process or spot color and how many color can you use? Heat transfer? Probably limited in size, but more flexibility as far as color. I don't really do heat transfers so I'm not that versed in the ins an outs of those.
    edited March 12, 2008
    Hirsch wrote:
    What are you wanting to do with the image you create? That will have some impact on how you want to go about making this design. Screen print? If so, process or spot color and how many color can you use? Heat transfer? Probably limited in size, but more flexibility as far as color. I don't really do heat transfers so I'm not that versed in the ins an outs of those.

It's not so much the actual printing I am worried about, it's the designing of it. I know what type of printing will make a difference but if I can get the basics I could figure the rest out. Examples can be found at http://www.simesgraphicdesigns.com/NewFiles/t-shirthome.html

FWIW, most of the designs I will do, or try, will be for printing hero cards ect.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Hirsch wrote:
    Bonus points if you can name the driverclap.gif

Hope this helps.

Bullet?headscratch.gif or byron olson? or just B.O.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited March 12, 2008
    The shirt printing will be much different than the hero cards. Those designs you are talking about are spot color seperations. Photoshop defaults to process colors. You can make it do spot color sperations, but it's not a simple task. If you are just wanting to do offset printing like the hero cards our use the image on the web, it would be much easier.

Bullet?headscratch.gif or byron olson? or just B.O.

Close, it's Bryan Clausen. He is running the nationwide series this year with chip. He's only 18.