It’s been a while…

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited March 12, 2008 in Holy Macro
Since I have been able to just walk around and really look at the little things in life. I missed it! I know these are dark but you have to work with what you have got. They still make me happy.
D200 50mm 1.4 two extubes with a SB800 flash.

Does a macro flash set up really make a difference? Thanks MM

264810596_fRpfL-M.jpg

264810849_pgoCp-M.jpg

264810820_JSkQM-M.jpg

264810888_bRR2E-M.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Lovely series of shots :)
    I use an external normal flash - mounted on a bracket and diffused.
    see http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/ for some setups.

Brian V.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Thanks Brian
    I have made a diffused from your excellent instructions, but unfortunately it has been misplaced during all the remodeling at my house. The flash bracket I have doesn’t bend like yours it just puts the flash higher up. What is the brand of flash bracket you have? It looks like it places the flash right out front. Thanks again. MM

Lovely series of shots :)
    I use an external normal flash - mounted on a bracket and diffused.
    see http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/ for some setups.

Brian V.
    — Lord Byron
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Since I have been able to just walk around and really look at the little things in life. I missed it! I know these are dark but you have to work with what you have got. They still make me happy.
    D200 50mm 1.4 two extubes with a SB800 flash.

Does a macro flash set up really make a difference? Thanks MM

I wouldn't say a MACRO flash necessarily, but a FLASH does indeed make a difference.

The petals on that flower are like crushed paper, what an great texture!
    The bugs seem to like the flower, yellow seems to attract lots of bugs.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I have made a diffused from your excellent instructions, but unfortunately it has been misplaced during all the remodeling at my house. The flash bracket I have doesn’t bend like yours it just puts the flash higher up. What is the brand of flash bracket you have? It looks like it places the flash right out front. Thanks again. MM

Mine are slightly DIY but a Hakuba LH-1 ballhead flash off ebay is the nearest I've seen but think I'd replace the ball head with a small geberic ballhead with a 1/4" male thread so it screws into the bottom of the flash cord rather than using the flash clamp- the feet on them tend to brak off.

Brian V.
    edited March 12, 2008
    Cools Thanks
    It looks like I will have to get inventive / imaginative. Thanks for the great ideas and information, and wonderful images. Mark

Mine are slightly DIY but a Hakuba LH-1 ballhead flash off ebay is the nearest I've seen but think I'd replace the ball head with a small geberic ballhead with a 1/4" male thread so it screws into the bottom of the flash cord rather than using the flash clamp- the feet on them tend to brak off.

Brian V.
    — Lord Byron
    edited March 12, 2008
    Hello Skippy
    Yesterday afternoon was very over cast windy. I took my dog for a walk and brought along the camera gear. We had a nice walk but could not find anything to photograph. Then on the way back home, at the intersection of I4 and Fairbanks on the back side of the over pass where these little yellow flowers, so I stopped. It was almost dark but I laid down and used my camera bag as a tripod. I can only imagine what people driving home from work must have thought about this guy laying on the ground with his dog next to the busiest highway in central Florida taken pictures of little yellow flowers. Hopefully it made someone smile and forget about the work day.
    Could not get the sharpness I wanted while and at the same time let in the right amount of light. I used the 50mm in manual mode at f11 –f16 with the flash pumped up to +3. I tried different f stops but they where way to soft. I think the Extension Tubes must do that. Thanks for the great comments. Mark

Skippy wrote:
    I wouldn't say a MACRO flash necessarily, but a FLASH does indeed make a difference.

The petals on that flower are like crushed paper, what an great texture!
    The bugs seem to like the flower, yellow seems to attract lots of bugs.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    — Lord Byron