Testing my Macro on Bees

Peter McIntoshPeter McIntosh Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 12, 2008 in Holy Macro
I shot a few bees with a D3 and a 105 Macro. I was trying to capture them in flight at 2000/ sec. f/4. I had to put the ISO at 560 and this is a 60% crop of the full frame. As this is hand held, it make the VERY shallow DOF complicated. How much more DOF can I achieve at F 11... is there a rule? Thanks ~ Peter

Comments

• tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    :eek: OMG that's just freaky *hides*
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Lovely capture.
    There is an on-line DOF calculator- dofmaster but think it doubles or halves for every full stop aperture change depending which direction you are going in. For bees in flight I would use Manual mode and flash eg 1/200th F11 iso200 and rely on the short flash duration to stop the bee.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I shot a few bees with a D3 and a 105 Macro. I was trying to capture them in flight at 2000/ sec. f/4. I had to put the ISO at 560 and this is a 60% crop of the full frame. As this is hand held, it make the VERY shallow DOF complicated. How much more DOF can I achieve at F 11... is there a rule? Thanks ~ Peter

Hi Peter, welcome to the Dgrin Forum.

I like how these two bees are meeting, what are they actually standing on?
    is it a brick?

I follow Brian's setting's, and found that it is very forgiving for even a very slight movement of your hand too nod.gif

Please keep posting Peter, welcome aboard thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Peter McIntoshPeter McIntosh Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2008
    DOF help
    Lovely capture.
    There is an on-line DOF calculator- dofmaster but think it doubles or halves for every full stop aperture change depending which direction you are going in. For bees in flight I would use Manual mode and flash eg 1/200th F11 iso200 and rely on the short flash duration to stop the bee.

Brian V.
    Thanks Brian. I will give that a shot, but may try to use available light.. flash could be a fun thing to try and set up. I'll post if I drag my equipment out~:-) ~ P.
  • Peter McIntoshPeter McIntosh Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Peter, welcome to the Dgrin Forum.

I like how these two bees are meeting, what are they actually standing on?
    is it a brick?

I follow Brian's setting's, and found that it is very forgiving for even a very slight movement of your hand too nod.gif

Please keep posting Peter, welcome aboard thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    The two bees are on the edge of a long piece of wood. I am going to try and do a bit more with bees, but go f/11 or so. THanks for the welcome! ~ Peter