One Portrait

Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited March 12, 2008 in People
How well am I doing?

264892682_afMA8-L.jpg

I'm still quite new to people shots, with balanced fill flash in great natural light.
C&C welcome and appreciated.

VI
dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.

Comments

• PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    The lighting looks well done to me. The natural light gives it good depth and the fill flash doesn't overpower the photo. My only beef is the crop, I would have done it a little wider. However, that's just a personal taste thing---lots of people shoot that tight.
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Thanks for the comment. I agree about the crop, but I shot it that tight, and can't "un-crop" in post! :D

The light as-shot wasn't as nice and I had some finaggling in post to even out the fill flash.

Cheers, thumb.gif
    VI
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    The ratio looks odd for an in camera crop. What type of camera is it. I agree it would add interest with more negative space to the left of her so that you are roughly following the rule of thirds. Other than that is is very very good. Great eyes too!!!
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Thanks for the comments! (I'm trying to work on getting great "eyes!")

I mis-spoke: the shot is not straight out of camera (D70s), but I thought the crop reference was to the top of her head. I shot her dead-centre of frame. (booo me!) and the crop I did was to remove some right of frame, trying for some more interest a la Rule of Thirds...

Re-shoot it is! wings.gif

Many thanks,
    VI
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Well, rules are meant to be broken?

Centering in portraits isn't a definate no-no. However, for head shots especially you will find that more often than not if you off-center your subject you will be happier with the results.

I promise!