Arrange Mode Override

yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited March 12, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I think I might have asked this before, but I thought I'd check back in...

Is there any way to do use the Arrange Photo feature in the Date Taken sort mode?

Fpr example, I have gallery which contains all the photos of one of our sons during the months of November through May. If I have photos A, B, C, D, E, F, G, all in date taken order, and I took photo H, but wanted it inserted in between A and B...I could, of course, put it in Date Taken order first, then switch it to Position order, and then move H in between A and B. But, if I then took photos I, J, K, and L, and wanted to put L in between I and J, the Date Taken then Position method gets trickier...and the more I do that, it gets harder to remember which photos I moved.

Folks at Smug: it would be great if we could have a two-layer system of simultaneously allowing for a primary method of sorting, along with a secondary method...kinda like the way you'd sort in an Excel Spreadsheet. And, within that system, allow for a photo-by-photo manual override for any given photo that can be dropped anywhere within a gallery regardless of the sorting prioririties.

Comments

• AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    yoyostock wrote:
    I think I might have asked this before, but I thought I'd check back in...

Is there any way to do use the Arrange Photo feature in the Date Taken sort mode?

Fpr example, I have gallery which contains all the photos of one of our sons during the months of November through May. If I have photos A, B, C, D, E, F, G, all in date taken order, and I took photo H, but wanted it inserted in between A and B...I could, of course, put it in Date Taken order first, then switch it to Position order, and then move H in between A and B. But, if I then took photos I, J, K, and L, and wanted to put L in between I and J, the Date Taken then Position method gets trickier...and the more I do that, it gets harder to remember which photos I moved.

Folks at Smug: it would be great if we could have a two-layer system of simultaneously allowing for a primary method of sorting, along with a secondary method...kinda like the way you'd sort in an Excel Spreadsheet. And, within that system, allow for a photo-by-photo manual override for any given photo that can be dropped anywhere within a gallery regardless of the sorting prioririties.

Thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif

It sounds as though you understand the current functionality well, but for the benefit of others who read this thread:

1) The sorting in the customize gallery settings is dynamic. That means that as new photos are added to the gallery, they are automatically sorted "by date taken" or "by filename" or by whatever you specify in your customize gallery settings. You cannot tweak the sorting afterwards. It's all automated.

2) The "quick sort" photo tool or any of the "arrange photos" are one-time sorts. That means you can go back and tweak afterwards, and new photos are just added to the end of the gallery. They aren't automatically sorted.

Now, what I'm not understanding is the desire for a two-layer system of simultaneous sorting. Can you explain to me how that would work? If you sort by "date taken", and then sort by "filename"... the photos will end up sorted by ONLY filename.

Also, our current "quick sort" does allow for a manual override, so how is what you're asking for different than that? I just want to make sure I'm really clear on the feature request. Thanks!

-Anne
    Support Hero