request for you to share your maternity photos

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited July 27, 2008 in People
Any dgrinners here members of NILMDTS? (Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep) Infant Bereavement Photography))

Real quick - I joined over a year ago because a close friend lost a couple babies, one of which was photographed by a volunteer in Cleveland. My friend convinced me to join since they greatly appreciated the service - I felt as though I joined blindly since no one around here is a volunteer that I could shadow.

Last night I get my first call. There is time to prepare and I also offered maternity photos soon as well as being there after the delivery possibly in May.

So here is my request to you folks. Would you please share in this thread your maternity photos and any advice so that I may refer to your composition as reference when I go to this somber photo shoot?

Thank you,
Tessa
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Tessa,

I am an Area Coordinator with NILMDTS. Thank you for being part of this wonderful gift to these families!

I have some maternity shots here:

My first ever maternity shoot

another maternity session password: kenton

My most recent (and best so far, I think) password: taylor

Hope those help. Have you seen the spot that the Today Show did on NILMDTS? It also had a maternity session in the segment.

The Today Show ran an extraordinary piece on the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep Foundation on March 5, 2008.

Click HERE to watch this moving segment.

Hope all this helps and best of luck. I'll keep you and the family in prayers!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Tessa I'm sure this will be a life-changing experience for you and kudos to you for volunteering. My main advice would be one that I think is fairly obvious. Window light if at all possible, as it makes not only the prettiest light, but also can enhance the reflective mood of the mother. There is nothing prettier to me than a pregnant woman, and comments to her about how beautiful she looks while shooting can relax her and make for better shots. At least that was my experience during my one and only maternity shot. You are welcome to view my niece's gallery. I'm anxious to see your results, if you are allowed to share.

My gallery
    edited March 12, 2008
    Are you active in the NILMDTS forum? There are many wonderful people over there willing to share advice and images as well.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Tessa,

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but at least there are some maternity shots in my gallery. Click my link below, then Portraits, then Maternity. They're mostly studio lighting, but I'm happy to answer any questions if it will help.
    Good luck,
    Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    Tessa,

I am an Area Coordinator with NILMDTS. Thank you for being part of this wonderful gift to these families!

I have some maternity shots here:

My first ever maternity shoot

another maternity session password: kenton

My most recent (and best so far, I think) password: taylor

Hope those help. Have you seen the spot that the Today Show did on NILMDTS? It also had a maternity session in the segment.

The Today Show ran an extraordinary piece on the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep Foundation on March 5, 2008.

Click HERE to watch this moving segment.

Hope all this helps and best of luck. I'll keep you and the family in prayers!

Heather I'm so glad you replied! I was at the NILMDTS site, looking for the photographer's forum, I think I don't have access for some reason. I logged in, but never got an approval email. Last month I emailed someone in Erie who was listed as a volunteer, but she never replied to me. I just wasn't finding what I was looking for, so I thought I'd post here to find some examples.

Yes I recorded the segment when I received an email that it was going to be on. It was presented so well.

I may have to give you a call. I've jumped into this blindly with no one around for me to shadow and I'm quite nervous.

Thank you for your links, I will check them out right now.

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited March 12, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Tessa I'm sure this will be a life-changing experience for you and kudos to you for volunteering. My main advice would be one that I think is fairly obvious. Window light if at all possible, as it makes not only the prettiest light, but also can enhance the reflective mood of the mother. There is nothing prettier to me than a pregnant woman, and comments to her about how beautiful she looks while shooting can relax her and make for better shots. At least that was my experience during my one and only maternity shot. You are welcome to view my niece's gallery. I'm anxious to see your results, if you are allowed to share.

My gallery

Thank you for sharing the link, I will check it out right now. I hope I can use natural lighting. I guess it will depend on both of our schedules. After meeting with them I'll be sure to ask if they would allow me to share. I agree pregnant women are beautiful, and life is so precious. I hope I can do a good job photographing it!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited March 12, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    Tessa,

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but at least there are some maternity shots in my gallery. Click my link below, then Portraits, then Maternity. They're mostly studio lighting, but I'm happy to answer any questions if it will help.
    Good luck,
    Jim

I'll check it out! Thanks Jim!

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    I do mom and baby stuff. What is this NILMDTS group about? From what I was able to gather from my brief visit to the website, it looks like they are trying to recruit photographers who will be willing to donate their skills and time to do mom/family/baby photos after the baby has passed. Is this about right? If so....why do you have to pay $25 to donate your time? Perhaps I'm missing something.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
    edited March 12, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    I do mom and baby stuff. What is this NILMDTS group about? From what I was able to gather from my brief visit to the website, it looks like they are trying to recruit photographers who will be willing to donate their skills and time to do mom/family/baby photos after the baby has passed. Is this about right? If so....why do you have to pay $25 to donate your time? Perhaps I'm missing something.

Yes, photographers willing to donate their time and skills. It's not always after the baby passes, it could be before, or even maternity photos instead. Yeah, I know, I didn't care for paying the new membership fee at first because I had been a member for a year without paying a thing. However, they say they provide you brochures and materials for free. They may be a little low on donations, I don't know. It's still young, only 3 years old, I think. Hopefully that will change. They won't force you to pay a membership fee, but it seems strongly suggested. I'm fine with it.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited March 12, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:

You are right. It provides families with professional photos of their brief time with their little one.

If the $25 is a hardship, then they will provide an exception instead of turn down a photographer. There are now approximately 3500 photographers worldwide giving their time and talents to provide this service for families that have lost/will lose children. There are costs involved with running an organization like this. I don't have a problem in giving a few bucks to help them run an organization that truly gives so much to these families.

As stated on their website HERE:

Let us begin by extending a warm and heartfelt thank you to each and every photographer who volunteers their time for the families of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. NILMDTS would truly be nothing without you.
    You each give so much of yourselves throughout the year and your annual $25 membership donations are a small but vital piece of that.

We, as an organization, use your donation to help in many ways -

For the maintenance of the Photographer and Family Forums. Many of you visit the Forum regularly and have received a great amount of good advice and support from your fellow photographers.

To maintain our website and the web based photographer database.

To offset the cost of mailing brochures, lanyards and other materials when you request them.

To ensure that we have the manpower available in our offices to respond quickly and accurately to your needs.

To aid in the recruitment of other photographers who would like to be a part of NILMDTS.

To help with the publication of a training manual our Co-Founders and Senior Members are working on right now. Expected completion date is April, 2008. NILMDTS staff will then mail copies to all current members and all incoming new members.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    edited March 12, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Heather I'm so glad you replied! I was at the NILMDTS site, looking for the photographer's forum, I think I don't have access for some reason. I logged in, but never got an approval email. Last month I emailed someone in Erie who was listed as a volunteer, but she never replied to me. I just wasn't finding what I was looking for, so I thought I'd post here to find some examples.

Yes I recorded the segment when I received an email that it was going to be on. It was presented so well.

I may have to give you a call. I've jumped into this blindly with no one around for me to shadow and I'm quite nervous.

Thank you for your links, I will check them out right now.

Tessa

The forum is found HERE I don't mind sharing that here, it's listed on one of their public sites.

Feel free to contact me anytime. I am still new to NILMDTS as well, but jumped in as an AC because there was no one willing to do so in my area.

I am flying out to Vegas tonight for WPPI and will be working the NILMDTS booth in the trade show for a few hours while I'm there this week. My contact information is on my webpage.

Once again, prayers to you and this family. You might want to gently lead them in the direction of the forum as well. There are many parents there as well as photographers and some threads/areas that may be of help to them and get them in contact with people that have been/are going through the same type situation.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I've joined this organization last year, but i haven't been active at all (shame on me)
    It was time before X-Mas, very hectic and no money to donate, i'm going to update myself on everything that's going on currently and give $25.00 as well.
    I think there are couple of photogs from my area, may be more now, i haven't checked lately.
    I've been receiving numerous email about some meetings which i'm unable to attend at this point. I would love to get more involved though, need to start moving ahead with this thing.

Heather, i didn't know you were invovled, it's a wonderful thing to help those, it's also a very touching experience, i'm not sure if get to participate how will i handle it.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Um... wow. I had no idea such a thing existed. As has been plastered all over this site, I have a little girl and I'm super thankful for her. A few years ago a friend of mine had a baby diagnosed with Trisomy 13 and I took that really really hard. The baby could only live outside of the womb for a day or two. I'm not sure I could do this type of photography. 10 minutes ago I thought I could point my glass at anything. I don't know if I have it in me to remain composed. My hat comes off to all of you who do volunteer your time, money and resources for this cause. I think it's fantastic and I wish I had a greater emotional constitution as I would love to get involved. You all humble me so.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • kazuri imageskazuri images Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    nilmdts
    That's funny - I don't get on dgrin that often (because I spend way too much time reading everything!), but I had some time to kill and hopped on to look around. I was thinking "I wonder if NILMDTS has ever posted an invite on smugmug?" then I found this thread!

I am a photographer with NILMDTS here in Oregon and have just met my area coordinators. This is an amazing organization I am so proud to be a part of. The $25 we pay helps offset mailing costs of brochures, badges, helps run the website (I'm sure) and other administrative costs that keep a non-profit going. I hope many others will join and post their session to the web - amazing photographers and beautiful photography!

Darci V, Sherwood, OR
    www.kazuriimages.com
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I wish my skills were good enough I would be proud to do this, having lost one myself. What a wonderful way to help a family forever memorialize their baby.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
    edited March 16, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    I wish my skills were good enough I would be proud to do this, having lost one myself. What a wonderful way to help a family forever memorialize their baby.

While you may not feel comfortable being the one shooting at these sessions, perhaps you could find a photographer in your area associated with NILMDTS and offer to go along with them to help.

I know that I have a group of people (non-photogs) that I can call on to go with me. I don't want to go alone. I can have them help with equipment - hold a reflector......then I have someone with me on a very long somber drive home.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    edited March 16, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I don't know if I have it in me to remain composed. My hat comes off to all of you who do volunteer your time, money and resources for this cause. I think it's fantastic and I wish I had a greater emotional constitution as I would love to get involved. You all humble me so.

I think it's ok to show your emotions with these families, it's ok to cry. I think if you came into the hospital, stayed totally stone faced as you work with these parents and their angels...you run the risk of coming across cold. Your emotions simply mean that you are human, and that's ok.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    I think it's ok to show your emotions with these families, it's ok to cry. I think if you came into the hospital, stayed totally stone faced as you work with these parents and their angels...you run the risk of coming across cold. Your emotions simply mean that you are human, and that's ok.

In the past 24 hours, I've been reconsidering my position on the subject. It's actually effected me greatly.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
    edited March 16, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:

Thank you for you all your comments. Nicely put. I have not yet had a session yet, but I will do my first maternity session next month, followed by the infant session about a month later. I hope can do it, and do it well. Like you said, we're human and I anticipate this to be difficult. Life is so precious though, and this shows appreciation for life, and helps the family heal. My sister was full term and died shortly before birth in the late 70's, at a time where babies were practically whisked away and it was not encouraged to spend time to grieve over your loss. My mother wishes so much there was a service like this back then.

Thank you all for your comments and interest.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited March 17, 2008
    I am currently in Vegas at WPPI. I had the pleasure to meet Sandy Puc' today,:D along with Jessica and Heather that help run the day to day operations of the organization. I know they are only a sampling of the wonderful people that are with this group.bowdown.gif

I truly feel blessed to be part of this organization and be able to give such a gift to these families.

For anyone else reading this thread....I would strongly encourage you to look into giving of your time and talents to this cause. Whether it's becoming a volunteer photographer, contacting a volunteer photographer near you to offer help, or discovering another way to give.

NILMDTS WEBSITE
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I actually just paid my $25 donation to join NILMDTS the other day. I am willing to do photos, but, it still is a bit scary think that I'd be taking photos of a baby that's dead.

I have two girls (6 and 4) and I couldn't imagine losing one--or never being able to know them...

David
  • ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Here's some of my beatiful partner that I took a couple months ago

http://www.light-scape.ca/gallery/4285327_ih2tf#P-1-9
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    It doesn't look like there is an area coordinator anywhere in my area. I really would love to help anyway i could. ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8