264833913_zkdSz-L.jpg

264842779_6aqrY-L.jpg

Kent
"Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
Web site

Comments

• KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Hey Kent. #1 is SO good -- looks like you were right there next to them, and great drama on her face. I love it. A large percentage of my best soccer shots are headers -- great drama.

Regards,
    Kent
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    #1 is the best. Great action and facial expression.thumb.gif
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    #1 is great. What does the girl in white have written all over her hand! rolleyes1.gif
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Great shots!! Nice and tight. I love the handful of jersey the the girl has in the last shot.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Hey Kent. #1 is SO good -- looks like you were right there next to them, and great drama on her face. I love it. A large percentage of my best soccer shots are headers -- great drama.

Regards,
    Kent

I guess I just don't know the game well enough. I almost never get the headers as I can't predict when or where they'll be. Maybe someone can school me on the best way to predict this action. I would really love the insight.

Awesome shots BTW.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    donek wrote:
    I guess I just don't know the game well enough. I almost never get the headers as I can't predict when or where they'll be. Maybe someone can school me on the best way to predict this action. I would really love the insight.

Awesome shots BTW.
    Thanks for the comments.

I think that shooting sports is all about anticipating the action and knowing where the flow of the game is likely to take that action. The better the photographer knows the game, the more likely the photographer is to capture a shot at the moment of peak action.

In terms of soccer headers, anytime I see the ball being kicked up into the air, I try to anticipate where it's going to come back down, zero in on the players are in that area of the field, and then take the shot as soon as I see them (through the viewfinder) beginning to leap to meet the ball. Timing is everything.

I very rarely fire off a burst of shots in hopes of catching one at the right moment.

As with everything else, practice makes perfect. But mainly it's luck! :D

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    donek wrote:

Awesome shots BTW.
    KMCC articulated it perfectly below, but my two cents is that it's really simple, at least at the high school level and above -- if the ball goes into the air above the height of players' heads, somebody is likely to head it, so follow the ball.

With little kids (and I've been watching soccer, if not shooting it, for 15 years),
    they're unlikely to try and even less likely to succeed.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    nice Kent - I like the 1st and 3rd. Good expressions.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)